SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arabellamiller

The Bet.

arabellamiller
13 years ago

I am a Steeler fan. Born and raised in the great city of Pittsburgh. Which I left at 17 and never looked back. I do, however, remain an adamant fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers. My husband, born and raised in NYC, is a Jets fan. In case you were unaware, those teams play this Sunday in the playoffs. Big game. BIG game.

My husband is way too smart a man to wager with me on this game. Even if he won, he knows he would end up losing. My 12 year old son though, did bet me. If the Jets win, I will make him any dinner of his choice for 3 days. If my Steelers win, he will make one family dinner. I get to chose the appetizer, main, sides and dessert.

Now, I'm not counting any chickens, but, in the (very likely) event that Pgh. wins on Sunday, I'm looking for some meal suggestions. He's not a cook. He loves to eat, and is a fairly adventurous eater, but shows absolutely no interest in cooking. So I'm looking for dishes that are simple, tasty and won't discourage him from cooking again. We don't mix milk and meat, or eat shellfish or pork. I was thinking maybe a simple baked breaded chicken, or maybe cheese lasagna?

Any ideas are appreciated.

AM

Comments (30)

• foodonastump
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I hope it's a moot point.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

Posted by foodonastump "----I hope it's a moot point. "

:-)

dcarch

• Related Discussions

Do you sometimes hedge your bets re plant location?

Q

Comments (4)
    I do that also, rouge. I am still SO envious of your 'Splendide'. I originally bought three a couple of years ago, and placed them in different locations, and have lost all but one. It makes me very sad, as this plant is so gorgeous, cloud-like and ethereal above the rest. I can still see your photo of it in my mind (actually, I have saved that pic on my computer!). My single remaining one, planted several years ago, is in very sandy soil -- at least the top of the soil is. The plant doesn't reach more than 3-4 feet, where one lost reached 7-8 ft before vanishing, and it is not as full as your fabulous specimen, so I have wondered if it might do better if I move it to more loamy soil. But I hesitate to disturb it in fear of losing it entirely, which would break my heart. This plant is not easy to find for sale here in the States. The white Thalictrum is also very pretty, but I am more inclined towards the lavender. I suppose I could try a different variety, but am totally hooked on 'Splendide'. Off to shed a tear or three at the inability to grow this well. The beautiful towers I bought for them to have support at the tops stand naked and lonely in the gardens...
    ...See More

Taking bets-when do you think we reach 3 million?

Q

Comments (67)
    It is a virus. One that is pandemic. Like all viruses it will run its course. The spread can be slowed but it cannot be stopped. If one feels vulnerable then they should take all the measures possible to avoid exposure. That is the best we can do. Obsessing over positives is less important than survival rate versus deaths. Just like with pandemics in the past. The tests results are all over the place. In our area now that the positives have gone down, the public health departments are upset they aren't higher due to a reporting glitch. Well those errors can go both ways. God forbid we publish good news. I have heard directly from two different physicians and a coroner's investigator that the results of all the dashboards are corrupted. Some places are not retesting at all. After as little as ten days people including health care workers are allowed back to work. Other areas are testing the same people multiple times. Perfectly healthy people are lining up for free testing. There are way too many cooks in the kitchen and they are all seasoning the pot to their personal tastes.
    ...See More

I'll Bet They're Flushed W/Pride Over That Wallpaper Selection

Q

Comments (20)
    I like it as well for its whimsy. I would probably like a piece framed for the bathroom. It would go with my cat pictures who are covered in toilet paper or playing in the toilet. :-) This Pinterest picture says it is from the 70s. Not sure if that's when it first started https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/457115430912079442/ 
    ...See More

Bet my fridge & freezer are cleaner than yours.....

Q

Comments (7)
    I’ll never forget......I had to go back to hospital on call around 9p. DH & I had made a huge batch of gumbo. He had Bagged ziploc bags of it in freezer. I was so proud of him & had to take a peek!! (Figured I’d come home late & have to put up gumbo & clean kitchen - I was kinda grumpy!!) Open up the freezer & bag on top shelf that had not been closed properly fell out. Gallon of gumbo all down the freezer & floor! Perfect ending to a perfect night!! But my freezer & floors under were spotless!
    ...See More
  • sushipup1
    13 years ago

He can make reservations. ;-)

• jimster
    13 years ago

The Pats are out, so I have little interest in the outcome.

If your son loses, I recommend something simpler than lasagna, which has many steps and requires assembly before baking or breaded chicken, which also has several steps in its preparation and requires stove top handling.

The simplest main course I can think of is pot roast. Put a chuck roast in the crock pot all day on low heat. That's it. He will be proud that he cooked real food.

Appetizers are easier. Sides can be baked potatoes and a package of frozen vegetables nuked with a little butter.

Good luck with your bet.

Jim

• Virginia7074
    13 years ago

Poor arabellamiller, you are getting no respect here!

For the record, I am rooting for the Steelers. I may even go so far as to see if I can find Iron City beer here in northern VA. I know I can get Yuengling.

At any rate, it's going to be a nice, cold weekend and I'm ready for some football!

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Hmmmm. How about homemade pizza? Kids love it, playing with the dough is fun, everyone gets whatever toppings they want. Or tacos, maybe, toppings of your choice. Meatloaf is relatively easy too, I think, add a side of roasted or baked potatoes and even another vegetable could be roasted in the oven at the same time.

Appetizers could be chips and salsa or guacamole and for dessert, cookies or brownies, or rice krispie treats...

Good luck on that bet!

Annie

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

The lasagna would be a fun and somewhat easy venture into cooking for a 12 year old. And while it was baking, perhaps prepare a salad or some sauteed spinach. If he gets through that much and is feeling very proud of his first cooking adventure - skip dessert. Make a date to take him out for a treat of his choice. Or a shopping trip to buy food for his next cooking adventure.

And if the whole experience is no fun for him - then do not bet in the future. :-)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Aaah!! what fun!!
    If indeed you should lose your bet, why not take the opportunity to teach him a little traditional stuff..?
    How about a roast chicken? Not much easier....just plop it into a pan and into the oven!
    And perhaps you could take the opportunity to allow him to make something like a potato kugle.
    Seriously....roast chicken....the way to go!

• User
    13 years ago

I was thinking roast chicken too . Very easy but maybe not fun enough.

How about going Mexican? Tortilla chips, salsa and a queso dip and cheese enchiladas for the main with a black bean and corn salad.

• caliloo
    13 years ago

What a great opportunity and life lesson for your guy! I love cooking with my boys.... here are my suggestions with input from my 9 and 12 yos. Good luck! I am assuming you could sub kosher margarine for the butter with the apples, or even a tiny bit of neutral oil just to give it a tiny bit of moisture.

Alexa

Corn Salsa

This fresh, flavourful salsa is chunkier than most dipping salsas. It can be served with corn chips and is also a good accompaniment to grilled fish and chicken.

3 cobs of corn, shucked (or defrosted frozen)
    ¼ cup (50 mL) olive oil
    ¼ cup (50 mL) chopped red onion
    1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
    ½ tsp (2 mL) chili powder
    1 lemon
    2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh coriander

1. Using a knife, remove the corn kernels from the cobs, placing them in a bowl. You should have about 2½ to 3 cups (625 mL to 750 mL). With the back of the knife press down on the cob extracting any milky juice. Add it to the kernels; set aside.

2. Add the oil and red onion to a large frying pan over medium heat, and cook for 3 minutes or until the onion softens slightly. Add the corn, jalapeño and season well with salt and pepper. Continue to cook gently until the corn is tender but still has a little crunch.

3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the tomato. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the chili powder and a squeeze of lemon. Stir to mix and let cool, then refrigerate for a least 4 hours to allow the flavours to blend.

4. Bring the salsa to room temperature before serving. Check the seasoning and stir in the chopped coriander. Serve spooned onto corn chips, as a topping for grilled chicken or fish or a vegetable side dish.

Roast Chicken
    Garlic Mashed potatoes
    Roasted Veg (carrots, parsnips, broccoli, etc)

Salad

and for dessert:

Baked Apple with Crisp Topping
    Recipe courtesy Sunny Anderson

.Prep Time:15 minInactive Prep Time:--Cook Time:40 minLevel:
    EasyServes:
    4 servings. Ingredients
    •2 apples (recommended: Fuji or McIntosh)
    •1 teaspoon lemon juice
    •1/4 cup strawberry jam, jelly or preserves
    •2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    •3 tablespoons butter, cold and diced
    •3 tablespoons brown sugar
    •1/2 cup oats, uncooked
    •1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    •Pinch salt
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut each apple in half along its equator. Using a melon baller, cut out each side of the core, creating a rounded hole. Rub exposed apple flesh with lemon juice. Place 1 tablespoon of jam into each hole. For the topping: in a small bowl mix together flour, butter, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon and salt. Press this mixture on the top of each apple, covering jam. Place in a baking dish filled with about a 1/4-inch of water. Bake until top is golden brown and apple is tender, about 35 to 40 minutes.

• jessyf
    13 years ago

I don't know about a whole roast chicken - I still have my hubby cut up ours, I'm squeamish still LOL. One of my favorite meals growing up was Potato chip chicken. We kids would crush up potato chips, then my mom would spread them over cut up chicken pieces in a pan, season with a little pepper, and bake. We'd fight over the fond.

If you do lasagna, you could have the kids mix the ricotta filling, and assemble using dry noodles. I add a little extra water, cover and bake.

What a fun project!

• arabellamiller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jim - thank you, great suggestion. He likes making sushi, so I think the assembly part of lasagne would appeal to him. Plus, he's seen me make sauce so many times, I think he could handle it with minimal direction. Pot roast is a good option, I'll have to see the prices at the butcher this week.

Virginia - I'm wearing my Iron City sweatshirt right now! I bet you could at least find Rolling Rock? Yes, it's going to be a fun weekend. Kids skating in the backyard and football!

Teresa, thanks for the parenting advice. We're already having a lot of fun with it, so I think we'll be OK. :)

Annie - should I let him make the dough in the machine, or force him to do it by hand? Pizza would be fun, particularly if he had to clean up the mess in the kitchen afterwards. Tacos are too easy I think, the kid has to work a little!

Linda & Chase - you are swaying me towards the roast chicken. And with Alexa's vote, that may put me over the edge! That's easy to handle and gives him time to work on mashed potatoes and a simple green beans side. Maybe I'll have him do chips and salsa for an appetizer. He does like mango salsa.

I wish my boys were more into cooking like Alexa's. My 9 year old is always game for cooking, but the 12 year old just isn't interested. If I win, I want it to be fun, but just a little painful for him. I may make him plan the grocery list and shop with me after I pick the menu. In this house going grocery shopping is considered exceptionally painful, second only to furniture shopping.

Thanks again, I knew I would get valuable advice.

Go Steelers!
    AM

• lorijean44
    13 years ago

AM, I'm rooting for the Steelers, too! We were Giants fans growing up - no Jets-rooting in our home!

I like the roast chicken and the lasagne idea. Personally, I don't think lasagne is that difficult. I don't put meat in mine, so maybe that makes it a little easier. Sauce, noodles, cheese filling (ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, eggs, parsley, s&p), over and over until the pan is full! LOL I'm no help!

I love this idea. Another great way to get the kids involved in meal-planning/making, even if it is on a small scale. Great parenting!

Lori :D

• lindac
    13 years ago

Kid/parent bantering over things neither has control of is a good thing!
    But I think if I were you I would be shopping for the groceries for HIS favorite meals!!!!
    In suggesting a whole roast chicken I was considering the "wow factor" of presenting a whole beautifully browned chicken.
    Whatever, it's a wonderful opportunity for some good natured bantering.
    Linda C

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Go Steelers is right! I hate the Jets.

Anyway, I think you have a great plan in place and the menu sounds terrific. My 12 yo isn't nearly as interested in cooking/baking as the 9 yo is, so I do have challenges getting him involved. The upside is mine loves to eat meat, so he will put in a huge effort on the main course knowing he is going to reap the benefit.

If you decide to do the whole roast chicken, he may get a kick out of "lemon up the butt" or some similar prep... 12 yo's do have that special sense of humor LOLOLOL!

Alexa

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

What about this very good and easy recipe. It will make him feel very accomplished. By the way, I started teaching my children to cook and set up menues when they entered their teens. Every Thursday was either my son's day to cook or my daughters (this included cleaning up the kitchen). I did my grocery shopping every Saturday so they had to add what they needed for the coming week to the shopping list which was kept on the refrigerator. They both loved it and my son still loves to cook (in fact, he is a much better cook than his wife - when they have guest, he is always the one to prepare the meal).

Baked Ravioli

1 pound ground beef or turkey or Italian sausage
    1 pkg frozen beef or cheese ravioli
    1 28-oz to 32-oz jar tomato and basil marinara sauce
    2 cup shredded Mozarella cheese

Brown ground beef. Mix all ingredients together in a very large bowl, then place in a 9 X 13 pan sprayed with cooking. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Uncover; add more cheese on top. Turn oven off and replace ravioli in oven for another 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Serving Ideas: Serve with garlic bread, salad, and red wine. Of course, the red wine would be only for the adults.

• bunnyman
    13 years ago

When it comes to sports teams I don't know the Sardines from the Gazelles... hope everyone has fun.

He should learn twice baked potatoes. I've never cooked for a gal friend that was not delighted when I pull a tray of assorted potato treats from the oven. Granted 12 is a bit young but it will only be a few more days and he will be wanting the car keys. Lots to learn, selecting taters, scrubbing them, the poke, the bake, knife skills cutting them, selecting yummy toppings like cheese and sour cream, maybe help him with pre-cooked bacon and maybe not, using judgment when lightly toasting them under the broiler.

I'd think at least one fresh vegtable or fruit. Even just tearing apart a head of lettuce. A kid should know how much better fresh lettuce is compared to the bagged stuff.

Meat... he needs to man-up and learn to grill! What snow? Grilled pork steak? Brats? Even burgers are a worthwhile skill. Male genes are coded to think grilling is fun. Perhaps even get him a bottle of near beer (root beer?). When his chest puffs out in all his pre-manhood glory snap a picture...

I'm going to have to grill some now... craving pork steak and chedder/bacon taters.

: )
    lyra

... may the Wheelers spin to victory and everlasting glory on Sunday!

• jessyf
    13 years ago

LYRA

You had me at 'the poke'

Lots to learn, selecting taters, scrubbing them, the poke

Maybe 12 isn't so early....

• jimster
    13 years ago

Roast chicken would be a good choice, IMO. Just as easy as pot roast and it's a very satisfying main course.

I'm surprised to see so many advocating lasagna, or even enchiladas. I consider both laborious. But maybe they are relatively foolproof. And, if the young man can make sushi, maybe he would be undaunted. I'm assuming he would have to do this with little or no assistance.

Whatever, it will be fun and betting always adds excitement to the game.

Jim

• arabellamiller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lyra, you crack me up! Yes, I do think twice baked potatoes is a great idea, but NOT so that he can impress the ladies. I have enough trouble remembering to monitor his phone and facebook page for inappropriate comments sent from 7th grade girls. In 7th grade, the girls are WAY ahead of the boys! Some of them can be quite agressive.

Thanks, Walnut, that looks like a great recipe and I can easily substitute soy crumbles for ground beef.

If my son wins the bet, I'll have it easy, I'm quite sure he's going to ask for dinner out, or maybe wings.

AM

• caliloo
    13 years ago

"I have enough trouble remembering to monitor his phone and facebook page for inappropriate comments sent from 7th grade girls. In 7th grade, the girls are WAY ahead of the boys! Some of them can be quite agressive."

Amen to THAT! I am absolutely astounded what some of the 12/13 yo girls will post and say....

Alexa

• annie1992
    13 years ago

I'm not at all astounded, I see some of the things grown women will say and am amazed!

"Go Wheelers". (grin) Michael, there are days I just love you more...

Annie

• Georgysmom
    13 years ago

Chili might be another option. Even my son who doesn't cook makes chili.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Well, that was quite a game, Elery has been watching it.

So, AM, what's it going to be? If it's pizza, I say let him use the bread machine.

It's 3F here, so if your weather is like mine, I wouldn't advocate grilling. If he makes a roast chicken, though, you'd have leftovers for soup later this week...

Annie

• gillylily
    13 years ago

Yeah for you that you won! I am a PATS fan and so glad the Steelers won! (ok maybe only temporarily, but they did beat the JETS!)

So what are you going to have him make? I think pizza or lasagna are great choices. Can;t wait to hear what you decide!!

• tami_ohio
    13 years ago

Enjoy your win! Is your son very disappointd?

Lyra, LOL! I think my DH was elsewhere when they passed out the male grilling gene. He has as much interest in grilling as he does cooking. NONE!

No grilling here, either. at 10 pm it was 3�F.

Tami

• User
    13 years ago

Yeah Steelers!!!! I don't watch a lot of football but I have two favourite teams the Steelers and the Packers! OUCH!

Enjoy you meal Am and let us know how it turns out.

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Congrats AM! Hope you and son have a good time putting it together..... lessons learned! And enjoy every morsel :-)

Alexa

• arabellamiller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the kind words and great ideas everyone! It was a very exciting game, particularly the 2nd half. It looked like the Jets were really coming back there for a bit. The Jets had a great season, for my husband's sake, I hope they do as well next year.

This week is nuts for us, so I think I'm tabling the dinner until next week. But, I believe the menu is going to be: tossed salad with homemade dressing, roast chicken with root vegetables, mashed potatoes, broccoli and fresh (bread machine) bread. Brownies from a mix for dessert.

That will be an impressive dinner for my guy! And his buddy who was here skating will be invited also since he was cheering on the Black and Gold with me.

I'll take pictures :)

AM

• jimster
    13 years ago

Will his buddy be sous chef?

Jim

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!