SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lamboftartary

Landscapers forgot to kill bermuda before tilling it - What now?

LambOfTartary
11 years ago

This is a very long and convoluted story but I'll try to be brief.

We hired some people to tear out our bermuda grass lawn and xeriscape it. Unfortunately, they forgot or they neglected (can't get their story straight at this point) to spray the lawn with glyphosate (Roundup) before they tilled the whole thing. The result is that now you can see the roots distributed all over the yard. So my questions are...

Question 1: What do we do now to get rid of this bermuda grass? I'm afraid that the only option is to wait for it to grow back, then spray! I've read about solarization, but it's now October in SoCal and I'm afraid it won't be hot/sunny enough to kill anything.

Question 2: There is a lot of he-said she-said back and forth going on with this company. The consultant who originally came out to look at our yard 2 weeks ago is no longer working for them. He wrote up a proposal but they tell me that he never discussed the details of what we wanted fully. What's written on the contract is a "removal of hardscape and plant material on the lower level." He told us he would spray and then dig the grass when it was dead.

When the project was passed on to the new guy, he first told me that they forgot to spray. But then I find out he was planning to put down landscaping fabric, which, in his own words, they only use when they don't spray.

Now I don't know what to believe, but I do know that the old lawn already had landscaping fabric put down and that didn't stop the bermuda grass. I've seen them pull large swaths of the fabric out of the ground still intact and, I think, 5-6 years old. It obviously doesn't work.

I'm not sure they're willing to work with me on this if they're already backsliding about what they were planning to do. Does this sound sketchy to you? Should I fire them or allow them to make good at this point?

Comments (4)