SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strouth64_gw

How deep to till before re-sodding with Zoysia

strouth64
13 years ago

I'm going to re-sod my lawn with Emerald Zoysia (taking out common Bermuda). Every article that I've read on the internet says to till the soil 4-6" as part of the preparation before sodding. Every person that I've spoken with around here says not to bother tilling that deep. In fact, I have been warned that if I till the soil to 6", it will be very difficult to not end up with depressions in the lawn (even if I roll the soil after tilling.)

So...I'm thinking that perhaps there may be some truth to the fact that will end up having some lumpiness if I till to 6", but if I go ahead and do this, amend the soil, lay and roll the sod, and then smooth it out with top dressing then I might still end up better off in the long run.

So my questions are:

- Will I really have a lawn that is not as level/smooth if I till 6" deep and amend the soil (even if I rake & roll, fill low spots, and roll again) vs just tilling maybe 2"?

- If so, should I do it anyhow because I'll be better off in the long run after fixing with top-dressing, or am I over-prepping?

- How much variation can I expect to be able to take out with top-dressing? I have a Tru-Cut reel mower that I've been using for several years on the Bermuda and that is what I'll be using to cut the zoysia, so I will want it to be very level when all is said and done.

I'm not so much worried about effort, or cost, I just want a lawn that I can cut to 1/2" should I choose to do so and have it look fine, even though I'll likely keep it between 1 & 2 inches.

Comments (12)