SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jawjapeach_gw

Round-Up Before Tilling?

JawjaPeach
12 years ago

I am about to re-sod my front lawn. I have no choice. We had a huge Bradford Pear tree that took away the original grass to tumble on us last fall. Now that the summer is approaching I am having the soil lightly tilled and smoothed for the laying of new sod.

The gentleman who plans to do the tilling suggested I spray the weed infested and sparsely left Burmuda grass (what you can see of it) with Round Up and kill off everything before tilling. He plans to till down only 4-5", not a major deep till. I do have those pesky tree roots still in the ground from the stump grinding that are already sending up new shoots. So they have to go and they are out in every direction.

My only concern is, what kind of residue will the Round Up leave that will be turned over and turned into the soil? I am not so concerned about it harming the new sod as I am the possible prevention of or the killing off of those good earthworms and such.

Would I be tilling poison into the earth. Or should I be okay? And how long should I wait before having the sod laid if I do use the Round Up?

And....................If I do not use the Round Up, will I be tilling those weed seeds back in for later growth? For I have seen weeds come right up through Burmuda sod and I don't care how much folks have said it should choke out the weeds. They do raise their nasty little heads right up through that thick tuft. Grrrrugh....

Comments (41)