SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

What to do - cistern full of trash

Debbie Downer
10 years ago

Wasnt sure where to put this topic - home disasters sounds about right!

I was digging around finding a place to bury my deceased cat and plant a shrub when I found a cistern I didnt know I had. It was like this freakin hole appeared - a part of the round cement cover had broken away.

At first I was excited thinking there might be hidden treasure... or at least some neat rusty old objects I could use as garden art. But no.... The trash starts about 5 feet down and there appears to be a lot of rusted old cans, including some that look suspiciously like paint cans, and unidentifiable disintegrated rusted crap.

As you may know these things are commonly 10 feet deep (or more) and about the same width.
If they threw paint cans down there who knows what all other toxic substances they may have seen fit to throw in.

I should have known - once again the idiot previous owners leave me with yet ANOTHER of their messes to contend with - arghhhh.

Who deals with this stuff - or do I just encase it in cement like Chernobyl and forget about it..

Ive tried calling junk removal companies (not interested in either whats in there and they lack the means of removing it (not safe to go down there - you may sink in and never be heard from again).

As I see it there are two issues invoived - identifying what the stuff is (whether anything toxic or just rusted scrap metal). And then what to do with it!

Comments (6)