SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ks_toolgirl

old cistern info

13 years ago

Ok, anyone familiar with cisterns? We've known we had one under the back (enclosed) porch, but had only seen it from the outside under the porch. After years of denying myself (I've wanted to look, hubby discouraged it - the "finish other projects before blah blah, yadda, yadda" lol) I finally removed the 2'X2' plywood panel. Above ground is a 2'(+/-) dia. brick bit that goes down to just below ground level. Lined, or was - partially crumbled, with a smooth masonry of sort. Couple feet down it angles out (like a jar?) to a diameter of 5 or 6 feet. About 4' down (from porch floor) is the top of the rubble. A LOT of it. Some looks really old, (I reached down w/a prybar & snagged a VERY old car radio!), a lot of it is the broken plaster the @#* flippers removed from house & just threw in there - the plywood cover was new when we moved in, the rest of floor was not. NEED TO SAY HERE: I do NOT hate "flippers" in general! Just the cheap, lazy ones that did my house!

So - my questions are endless! I'm sure they're ignorant, also.

How deep is this likely to be? Is it unlikely to be "stable"? I want to remove this rubble, but I'm afraid to put any (MY) weight on it. My late father & I were fascinated by what could best be described as "out-house archaeology", this could be full of fun (and less than) things to find. Like a layered timeline of home occupancy.

I'm imagining it being capped off below rubble layer with something that's deteriorated - with empty space below that's just waiting for me to "drop in", lol!

Any opinions? Anyone "been there"? (Any chance of utilizing it for yard watering after cleaning it out, if we can make it "hold water", lol many of my theories don't!) We're frequently on water-restriction here in the summer, and only allowed to water gardens, not grass. I'm assuming that since it's full of debris, including painted plaster, that it would be a hazard for watering veggies - but a summer "lawn"?

Sorry this is so long! Any advice? I'd appreciate it!

Comments (8)