SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Upgrading Large Sony Stereo for smaller footprint stereo

susanlynn2012
15 years ago

Questions: Is more wattage per channel better even in a small sized room if I plan to not blast the stereo and only want to listen to it when I get on my exercise machine that I want to start to use again? Is a Carousal for CD's better than a CD Shelf changer? Are some brands better than others?

I want to upgrade my Sony Stereo that has a 5 CD-Changer (Sony LBT-D590) that I bought 9.5 years ago and is in perfect shape to a stereo with the same great sound but one that is smaller in size. The more I look around and waste my time and the more research I do on the Internet, the more I think maybe I can live with the oversized speakers in my small room since the stereo I have is quality and looks nice. But, I really always felt it was too big and always wished I went with the other one 9.5 years ago that was $100 more but much smaller in size with the same great sound. Now is my chance but I do not want to sell it to get a piece of junk that is ugly.

My Stereo's speakers are almost 21" high (wish they were not so big) and the unit is about 17" in height. I love the 5-CD Carousal and the 10 Equalizer Presets and all the bells and whistles it has. I never really use the Cassette dual auto reverse player.

I have been looking for the past few days when I should be working ever since my friend offered to buy my system for $250 that I paid on sale $630. I see prices have gone down but so has the quality of the units in looks and cheap plastic parts I am finding out. I see a similar system that is just as big at PC Richards for around the same price still with more wattage than mine. Mine either has 100 or 200 watts per channel which is plenty loud for me.

The room I have is small. My friend says I have to have high wattage per chanel to get great sound at low volumes that I listen to. I would love a Micro System but I want at least a 3 CD Changer. I love the way my stereo is all black with finished backs on the speakers and a black netting classic covering on the speakers, If only my system was smaller in size.

I read great reviews of some systems and went out yesterday to look at them and they look so cheap with unfinished backs. The back of my stereo speakers is painted black and finished and not cheap looking.

I was thinking of the Sony MHC-EC77 (was all set to buy yesterday after reading the great reviews until I saw the unit in person) but it looks so young looking with the silver and black colors and not classy like my system. I am a young 46. I then thought maybe the JV MX-KX58 that is all black and less tall and wide than my unit but the depth of the main unit is over 19" so it will be I think too tight of a fit unless part of the width is the knob.

My unit has an 18" depth (from wall to front of unit).

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida