SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

OT- Stereo Wattage & Quality Questions

susanlynn2012
15 years ago

I bought a great sounding Sony 5-CD Changer, dual auto reverse cassettes, 10 equalizer presets, nice classy black color with netting on the speakers with finished backs. I always liked the sound but when I set it up in my small spare bedroom (to use for music when I am on my exercise equipment that I have not used for a while but plan to try again despite the car accident to exercise) I knew right away I should have went with the smaller sized system.

I am trying to make this spare room prettier so they bulky size bothers me but when I want shopping for a smaller sized stereo with at least a 3-CD changer, I am finding many have cheaper plastic on them painted silver. My friend offered to buy my stereo that he loves.

So do I just stay with the oversized speakers and system and get over the fact it is so large since it is not cheap looking (will post pics after I get my new wicker dresser in a few days) or do I go with less pretty but smaller in size? I found one JVC stereo I like a lot that even has an IPOD hook-up (I have no IPODS right now) and plays MP3 files, I was all set to order it until I realized the depth of the unit is a little over 19" deep. This may include the knob so maybe it would not hang over my 18.25" deep file cabinet that I will have it on? The JVC unit only has a 3-CD Changer and only has 4 Equalizer Presets.

My friend says I have to go with high wattage per channel or I will not have good sound at low volumes. Does anyone know anything about this?

My room has Philadelphia Cream walls, putty 2-Drawer file cabinets, a black Life Stepper in the middle of the room, Mirrored closet doors, White Comfortex Sheer Horizontal Blinds, cherry book shelves and soon a White Wicker Dresser. Also I have brass lamps with cream shades in the room sot hat is why I preferred an all black stereo than ones with silver painted plastic.

Thank you so much in advance for your time.

Comments (5)