Comments (69)

• tinam61
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'll add:

a long walk this evening

fresh baked chocolate chip cookies

Fly - I love your outlook! I believe you were the one who gave me such encouragement regarding volunteer work. I hope I remembered correctly!!

tina

• lee676
    13 years ago

Instead of thinking up my own responses, i'll post my takes on the OP's list, as well as to some selected previous responses from others....

> Showers for two
    My shower is only 32x30", so we have to stand really close. Which is why I love small showers!

> -Breakfast out
    Not unless I can sleep in late, which means the only places still serving breakfast are IHOP and Denny's. But I love *dinner* out.

> a pup who is always happy to see me
    As long as it isn't my dog. Dogs are too high-maintenance for me.... but I do love dogs - other people's dogs.

> redbuds
    Grass. Trying to grow grass in my back and side yards. There's mostly dirt and mud where the grass should be, which not only looks ugly, but gets tracked indoors and on our carpets. If that works, then I'll try growing some flowers.

> sun shining
    Always thankful for that.

> Fleetwood Mac
    Thank you Stevie Nicks for immortalizing my hometown of Silver Spring, MD in song (even if the song has nothing to do with the city, but it is indeed named for it). I've got Mac stuff on my iPod dating back to the Peter Green era (1967) to their most recent album, so much great music.

> Sue's good news!!!!
    Missed that thread, but glad there's good news for Sue whatever it may be.

----

> Road trips
    Haven't taken one for a while now. Getting expensive with fuel prices where they are. But I love getting away.

> Having dinner at a fabulous restaurant with someone I care about.
    Again, me too.

> Staying at a luxury hotel
    Can't even afford budget hotels, but I'll take whatever I can get.

> Buying people gifts
    Increasingly I like to make something myself rather than buy something off-the-shelf. Less expensive, but more meaningful. A gift that's one of a kind, made just for the recipient with her tastes tended to.

> A relaxing soak in the tub, fragrant bath gel, alone
    A relaxing soak in the tub, fragrant bath gel, not alone

> My Macbook
    I'd love a Macbook, but at least I have an iPod nano, an iPod touch, and a Thinkpad.

> Kidneys that work.
    > Eyes that see.
    > Legs that are bruised and scarred but take me where I need to go.
    I treasure any of my body parts that still work. That seems to be fewer and fewer each year....

> My mom finally becoming independent of my dad! (after a difficult divorce)
    My brother finally divorcing his wife after 20-some years in a parasitic relationship. Yes, this is good news for everyone involved, including their kid IMO.

> DD telling me she wants to minor in music in college
    I wish her luck - I tried to major in music, but had to pass an audition to become a music major. Despite 10 years of lessons, I failed the audition and had to major in another field. Tried to get into some music classes anyway, but never made the cut.

> fresh baked chocolate chip cookies
    CC cookies - the only dessert that matters.

> a long walk this evening
    I love long walks under the moonlight.

• Related Discussions

Making you happy today?

Q

Comments (12)
    ---I watched LA Confidential and realized that I love that movie. I love a good movie, in my bones! And I had a crush on Aussie-what's-his-name the whole time. Dunno if that's good or bad but happy will do! Aaack, Kath, I forgot that you leave us! Have a great summer and try to sneak online somewhere and visit us. Mmmm new gardens, athena... very nice. Diane, I like such excitement over a new basal, lol. Sorry about the shoulder! My brother has a bum shoulder at the moment, too. KITTENS!!? OOOoh, can I come over? Actually, Dad could right now as he is currently in a hotel near you, MAT. Kittens, kittens.... snuggle them for me if the mama'll let you. orchids, I hear ya on the antihistamine. That's another for my list - HONEYSUCKLE season is ending. Whew. And I used to eat them as a kid. ledaanne and pete - I confess that one of my biggest fears about my impending trip to the UK is how to go that long without a ciggie. It's weak and h*ll and I can't believe I was dumb enough as a teen to think I'd quit in a year or two. Oy. Pete, get those nicotine-less brands at least, seriously. You know better! I'm also very jealous of all the fishing, but this is a happy thread, eh? Is jealousy allowed? Well, fishing is a happy thing for you, and I just really know that it would be, how's that ;)
    ...See More

minnie_tx...You've made me so happy today!

Q

Comments (3)
    I forgot to also say...I've found it on Youtube..and I'm also going to program my television to record it in December. Thanks again!
    ...See More

What makes you happy?

Q

Comments (47)
    There's a lot of things that make me happy....also many things for which I am thankful, which is also happiness-inducing. I too chat a bit more with people in public nowadays. Just a quick sentence or two. Especially for those in service jobs: working with the public can be very difficult and it's nice when you can give someone a reason to smile. Retirement has been great and made me and DH happy, so much less stress and no more clock-watching. Lots of books (paper and digital) to read makes me happy. Having my DH alive and well makes me happy; after a serious stroke at age 50 you stop taking togetherness for granted, that's for sure. The promise of good strong El NIno rains makes me happy, even if it cuts back on our local travels - I lost more plants to drought this summer than ever before. The success of finally putting solar panels on our roof makes us happy: it worked out great and the payback looks to be faster than we thought it would be. The remodeling of our master bdrm, which cost way more than I hoped but looks sensational, means it finally resembles the rest of the house....and after 25 yrs here that's a very good thing, LOL! The fact that most of our family and friends had a good year in 2015 is also cause for happiness.
    ...See More

What little things make you happy?

Q

Comments (63)
    Holly-Kay, I agree (though in my case it might be iced tea). After my mom passed, I took my dad to the veteran's cemetery to see the marker in place. Remains there are placed in the order recieved and my dad waited until they were on the side of the columbarium facing a pond and then calculated the days expected to be able to place her in front of it and between two trees. And that's exactly what he got for her (and later him). As we were there remembering her, a great white heron was standing at the water's edge. It let us watch a while, changed locations a couple of times and then took off and flew around and over the pond. I felt my mother was acknowledging our presence and letting us know she was free and at peace (she had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's 11-12 years earlier and had a broken hip and horrible GI infection at the end). Now I remember her when I see one linger when I approach or fly overhead. That's as close as I'm going to get while I'm still here. I'll take it. Patty Vinson -- I haven't seen a lightening bug is so many years. I used to have them in my backyard of the house I lived in before DH and I were married -- so I guess that would be about 25 years. I miss them, and I like your list. :)
    ...See More
  • cooperbailey
    13 years ago

** Brief side bar** lee676- another Marylander? yay! I am in Baltimore, and I am the Sue with the good news. and that is another thread.
    I didn't know Stevie Nicks sang about Silver spring! who knew? Good excuse to get out all the old albums and turntable.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Love all the replies.

Well, Tuesday ended up on an even higher note! My 32 yr. old son received a very prestigious (sp) Engineering award for a road he designed!

He takes up after me. :)

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Nancybee- I echo your appreciation for Tina's thread. It is a wonderful exercise to take an inventory of what makes us happy!

Tina- my tulips are multi-colored! Yellow, red, hot pink, white, etc. Yes, you southern lady, you need a camellia in your landscape...you'd love it.

Leacate- nice thing to say. Thanks!

Demifloyd- I disagree with you that you don't "do" happy! My definitition of "happy" is awareness meeting gratitude for the blessings in and around our lives.

You seem to have cultivated both an acute awareness of your blessings and a deep gratitude for them.

Perhaps you just prefer the word "contentment" and I agree, most of us can't sustain a state of tickled pink happiness 24/7 (and I wonder if we even should!) Yes, contentment and reason to smile are wonderful states of being, and as Leacate implied, still difficult for many to attain. Without awareness and gratitude, there is no contentment or reason to smile.

I think it's beautiful that you think about having kidneys and legs, and how they function! Maybe the more rooted one is in the most simple things in life, and the less they take them for granted, the more blessed they are, and content they will be.

'Tis a blessing not to require a Mercedes Benz in order to "do happy!"

Isn't it interesting that no one mentioned luxury cars and the like on their lists? When it comes down to it, we really find the most joy in the simplest things.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

cooper & lee -- I'm no longer on the east coast, but my MD hometown was immortalized (o.k., I think it was another "Rockville", and the only thing that fits is the chorus, but hey) by REM :)

Congratulations to oakley's son! We need more attention paid to our national infrastructure by intelligent, committed people, and it sounds like your son is one of those: )

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Oakley, I can imagine your delight! Your son's accomplishments must have you beaming! It must be so rewarding to see your son grow up and use his gifts and talents (and yes, surely he takes after his good mom!)

• User
    13 years ago

We are going to be grandparents ! DS1 and DIL in VA , first one for all of us.

DS2 , after years and years of depression and anguish and run ins with the law has made some huge changes in his life and is really on the road to recovery. He is meditating every single day and is so at peace. He called and talked for an hour last night. He now calls his sibs too and talks. It is such a blessing to him and to us all.

Thank you for staring this wonderful thread. It is so wonderful to have you all to share with . thank you....c

• OllieJane
    13 years ago

Congrats Trailrunner! I saw the article in Southern Living magazine about The Red Hen, it also mentioned your son and DIL names. Very impressive!

Oakley, will I be driving on that award-winning road someday? HA!

• tinam61
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So nice to read all these responses. I was in a great mood yesterday morning, and just thinking of things that made me happy. After re-reading this thread I realize how blessed we all are! So I thank YOU for responding and sharing with the rest of us.

Congrats Trailrunner!! That is wonderful news!!

tina

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

How wonderful, trailrunner! First, their restaurant was their baby, and now that it's safely established and growing, they can make their second : )

And it's equally wonderful to hear about your DS2. I can only imagine what peace that must bring you and your family. Life is too precious to let it slip past us...

• nancybee_2010
    13 years ago

Congrats, Oakley and Trailrunner!

• golddust
    13 years ago

Trailrunner, that is awesome!! You must be beside yourself with happiness on all fronts!!!

I haven't contributed to this thread but I've been basking in all your happiness. I've been somewhat consumed with sadness about my Dubs, who is seemingly going downhill much quicker than I can prepare myself.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! No, Caleb does NOT take after me (except our personalities and looks, lol) in the Math department. My dad was a Civil Engineer, my dh is an attorney, and I was born with NO math or "intellectual" skills at all. But they still love me dearly. :)

Ollie, DS's in charge of the whole NE quadron of Oklahoma. He was made "boss" of his department in his late 20s, beating out other's twice his age. This is for ODOT, OK. Dept. of Transportation.

On a side note, this kid had math trouble all through elementary school and part of high school until it just "clicked" one day, which I was home to witness it. So you moms out there, don't despair! lol

Anyway, the State is desperately trying to get good roads built but it takes a lot of time and a LOT of money.

TRAIL!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!! The love you feel for your children will multiply by a zillion for your grandbabies. You will have a blast!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Trailrunner, that's such exciting news! First a restaurant, now a baby! Those two will make awesome parents, and you'll be the coolest grandma ever! Thanks for sharing the happy news about your DS2 as well!

• User
    13 years ago

Thank you olliesmom! We sure are very happy.

And you too tina for this thread...such a sweet way to share with everyone. Thank you !!

fly: yes indeed it has been a lot of years of anxiety and calls in the middle of the night. He is so much better. The whole family is hoping that he can maintain this. Every day that he moves in the positive direction is a good one that sets a precedent . And the kids are definitely going to nurture the new baby too !!

Thank you nancy !!

Gold I am so sorry about Dubs...please do share with us as that plays out. Thank you for thinking of me.

Oakley CONGRATS to you and your son. That is so great. And thank you we are very excited.

Thank you stinky...all fronts are doing good for sure. It is such a pleasure for us all. And very nice to come here and share. c

• hhireno
    13 years ago

I'm back from the gym and had a good work-out.

I skyped with my niece and sister this morning.

I'm going out to dinner with my Mom tonight (for Xmas I gave her a calendar and on each month I wrote that I would treat her to a meal a particular restaurant).

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

May I be so nosy as to ask, Hhireno? Which restaurant?

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Wellll...

I heard "Rock and Roll ain't noise Pollution" by AC/DC in my shoulder-therapy this morning...!
    THAT made me happy!

Then, coming home to our silly Samoyed, Callie, waiting for me at the top of the stairs! Gettin' my face licked a lot too!

Faron

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Our pups and the anticipation of spring and time in the garden again!

• hhireno
    13 years ago

Stinky,
    I guess I didn't explain it well. Each month the calendar lists a different restaurant, some here in PA, some in HHI (to indicate that we will be in HHI together). I picked them randomly, just going from A to L, and told her we can actually go to any restaurant, not just the one listed on that month.

So far we've done Apollo (which was probably in business when you lived here?), Cosmopolitan (brand new) and Copperhead (about 3 years old).

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Thanks for your reply, Hhireno! First place that came to mind was The Apollo Grill! Yes, the other two didn't exist when I was there. Sounds interesting! It's quite a contrast, dining one day in the LV, the next in HHI! You ladies have fun!

• User
    13 years ago

Tina - Did you get my email?

Congrats Trailrunner!

-Sun
    -DH, furkids, family
    -I might not be able to run again yet but I have my legs and can walk.
    -Going to bleach out a drop cloth to see exactly what color it gets. I am really excited about this, lol.
    -My hair seems like it grew a bunch over night!
    - My stairs.

Bwwahahaa, j/k. I still don't like my stairs very much. :)

• barb5
    13 years ago

Learning that our first grandchild, born a week ago, 4-5 weeks prematurely, will most likely be discharged from the NICU tomorrow and going home!!!

• livvyandbella
    13 years ago

Health
    family
    3 dogs
    a cup of coffee
    the sun is out
    didn't have to cook today

• User
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for your good wishes !! And Barb you have all my positive thoughts coming your way for the sweet new grand that you have !! Congratulations to you .

It is so nice to see this thread continuing. Everyone has something special to share and we are all made happy in such an interesting variety of ways. I hope we can all keep adding to this as the mood/need arises. c

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

Watching DS nap, it takes my breathe away!

1 week with no caffeine! I didn't think I would make it. :) I kind of drank a LOT of unsweetened ice tea.

Grats Trailrunner and barb5.

• nancybee_2010
    13 years ago

Skypeing with my daughter and new son-in-law, who live WAY too far away!

• tinam61
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Today - just thankful for the absolutely beautiful, perfect weather kind of day. Spent several hours outside and then even napped (very rare) - thanks to allergy meds LOL. Pup curled up with me.

Boop - we've used decaffinated tea for years. Can't live without iced tea around here LOL.

Barb - congrats on the new grandchild and best wishes for good health!

tina

• hhireno
    13 years ago

That it was 50+ degrees at 8:45 am when I left the gym this morning. Isn't if wonderful how when it first dips to 50 degrees in the fall it feels cold but when it finally reaches 50 degrees in the spring it feels warm? That warm feeling may have been assisted by my post work-out "glow" but still, I didn't need to zip my coat and that's the first time in months.

• barb5
    13 years ago

Aww.... thank you for the good wishes. The baby was given the OK to go home last night and DD and DSIL were told to pick her up this morning.

Well, they were not going to wait another second! They took her home last night.

I haven't talked to them yet this morning in case they are sleeping. But I imagine DD and DSIL, in their PJS, mugs of coffee in their hands (maybe not DD, don't know if nursing moms are supposed to avoid caffeine), tired, frazzled, and oh so HAPPY, with their little one tucked in the crook of their arm, or sleeping in the bassinet. The three of them, a family.

It is truly a happy day.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Lol barb...your imaginings of their first night with baby sound so sweet :). Much as I imagined our first morning with new baby would be when he had his nicu release.

I expected to be sipping coffee in front of the fireplace in my lovely pjs rested, gazing on our dear sons contented face......zzzzzziiiiiipppppppp

Reality, totally and desperately exhausted because it was our first night nursing...the preemies like smaller feeds more often, I was holding onto that cup of coffee with a grasp king kong couldn't have pried apart. Dh was glass eyed after trying to help all night but the crying baby kept him awake....he had a similar hold on his coffee cup. Firewood was wet because we forgot to bring it in so my crackling fire is smoldering and hissing and instead of my pretty new pjs I'm wearing one of dh's tee shirts and MIT he'd matched bottoms because ds threw up on me after each feeding (preemie tummies are delicate). We did gaze at him with a mixture of adoration and fear....fear he'd wake again lol

But still we were happy heh heh. Just not normal Rockwell happy lol

• Faron79
    13 years ago

....just knowing I can have fun here with my GW friends almost every day!

Joys, sorrows, triumphs & travels...., & all the goofy fun stuff here!

You guys make ME happy!

Faron

• rockmanor
    13 years ago

This morning I spent about 10 minutes watching Po and his mom, Lun Lun, on the Zoo Atlanta Panda Cam. It was such a relaxing break.

Here is a link that might be useful: panda baby: Po

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I made my mommy a great breakfast this morning when she came over.

And I bought some killer zebra luggage from T.J.Maxx, simple gorgeous. Oh yeah, and it was a sunny day out today.

.....Jane

• User
    13 years ago

My roses are blooming in a HUGE burst. it is amazing.

I was accepted as an intern baker at a wonderful bakery in Montana. I have one week of baking beside a pro from 3 AM to 6:30 PM for 7 days. We may start at 1:30 AM part of the time. We are in the mountains and DH is going to cook for us all since he will be with me . I am so excited. c

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Gosh, Caroline you live a completely full life, I swear.

Congrats on the cooking school in Montana.

....Jane

• tinam61
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Today it makes me happy to plant two new dogwood trees!

tina

• User
    13 years ago

This is my first time seeing this thread and it's an amazing read, I REALLY NEEDED IT!!! lol

Congrats on all the new little ones, family and happy moments for everyone! You do have such a full life Trailrunner! Congrats on your new adventure.

I woke up today to the sound of birds outside our window. Love that.

And I'm so excited, this is the first weekend in a long time that has warm sun in the forecast. Spring may finally be showing itself in our neck of the woods! Yeah!

Being where I am at this moment, in our own home with the peace that mornings brings makes me happy always.

My birds are so silly and just crack me up.

The feeling that today is a new day, new start and some baggage that has needed to go has finally left.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Almost two weeks done with my crutches- May 23 come on ba-baay.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

Haven't read this post yet, glad I did...It makes ME happy!

Other things for today, second day of waking up pain free and basking in the wonderfully funny dreams I'd had.

DH actually left the seat down in the master bath.

Going to bake banana bread, baked ziti, and a whole host of things so we've got them packed nicely in the freezer. I'm SUPER busy at work and need to be able to have dinner ready to go when I get home two hours later than usual...

Anticipating my visit with DS tomorrow morning, then an afternoon spent scrapbooking with a good friend.

The fur-kids. Granddog Ruphus spent the night and he & Aurora do not have off buttons. Seeing them frolic, with the others joining in (even the cats) is so much fun.

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

#1 - watching my Grandson grow up - I get to keep him 2-3 days a week. Even better - watching my son WITH his son.
    Awesome!

#2 - watching the hummingbirds that come into my yard and spend the winter

#3 - watching the butterflies that come after the hummers leave in the spring

#4 - being married to my high school sweetheart for 40+ years and knowing that he is happy

#5 - knowing that so far we have been blessed with pretty good health and pray that it continues that way

I guess that #5 should be in the top two but hey they are all equally special!

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

Today, DH and the new shower head he installed make me happy. The most amazing shower I have ever had. EVER!

Here is a link that might be useful: most amazing thing ever :)

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I'm happy the sun is shining after all the bad weather yesterday.

I had a Thanks for Sharing (Macy's) card I needed to spend, so I ordered the grandbaby coming in August a few things. Received partial shipment yesterday. Something about onesies. lol

• hhireno
    13 years ago

I'm happy that it was a cool but beautiful blue sky & sunny morning and I was able to walk outside instead of on the treadmill at the gym.

I'm happy that I will be seeing my brother & his family this weekend.

I'm happy that 2 tickets for tonight's sold-out talk with author Elizabeth Gilbert fell into my lap this morning.

• golddust
    13 years ago

I'm happy that my garage (technically a detached carriage house) is finally cleaned out and ready for my car! Woot! Only two more things to get rid of before it's totally clean. One is a barbeque and the other is a gas melting furnace. Placed an ad for the furnace, now to find new home for the smoker/barbeque. Shouldn't be hard.

Goodbye junk!!!

• judiegal6
    13 years ago

These two always make me happy!!!!!!!!!

• nancybee_2010
    13 years ago

The living room lamp I ordered from lighting universe arrived today. It looks just right and I won't have to spray paint my other lamp to go with it, as I had thought. Spray painting does NOT make me happy!

• natal
    13 years ago

Swallowtail cats on the dill and a nest of cardinal hatchlings in one of the azaleas.

• User
    13 years ago

Natal's photos of the babies! I've got goosebumps! Our pet birds are nesting a clutch right now, so maybe we'll have babies soon too!