SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

What little things make you happy?

robo (z6a)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I was staring down at my grapefruit this morning thinking...I just love eating off my colorful fiestaware. Always brings a little boost to my day.

The other thing I enjoy is looking at my garden. When I moved into this house five years ago the gardens were alternately barren and weed-ridden. It's been a lot of work but I finally have some lush gardens I am proud of (last year's photo).

Comments (63)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Beagles, your beagles are charming. Robo, I love your garden.

robo (z6a) thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • 4kids4us
    7 years ago

Sunshine. I never realized just how much that affects my day until we went more than two weeks without it. We are still gloomy, but have had a few peeks of sunshine in the last couple of days. Still not enough.

Crossing the very short drawbridge into our downtown historic/tourist district and seeing the sailboats on the water, with our church/my kids' school sitting atop the hill across from me, overlooking the water.

hearing the garage door open when my relatively new teenage driver arrives home

opening my windows in spring and smelling the fresh air flood the house

my dog standing at the front door with his tail wagging when the kids arrive home from school

hearing my boys playing basketball and lacrosse outside together and actually getting along rather than bickering

when dh picks up tulips "just because" when he stops at the grocery store

the last day of school

reading a really good book

• Related Discussions

Little things make us happy...

Q

Comments (10)
    Mike - the little green seeds will turn bright red. Pick them then, take the red coating off (slides right off) and plant the little white seed that's inside. I didn't do anything special but put it next to its mother, but I did take other seeds and put them in seed starting mix, cover with plastic and wait. They root rather quickly. I think the key is fresh seeds, like I said. Good luck. Picture will come when it blooms. Do you have plumeria in PR? Love my plumeria. I have some seeds to Black Cyclone that have come up and I've been able to pot already! Oops - that's another forum! RuthAnne
    ...See More

it's the little things that make you nuts

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm not familar with your truck, but if this shift indicator is mechanical and not electronic, it's probably very simple. A number of these are nothing more than a weatherproof string clipped to the shifter. As the shifter moves about, it pulls on the the string. The other end of the string is attached to the indicator drum that supports the indicator needle, and finally, the end of the sting is held taut by a spring. The adjustment is simple: adjust the end of the string where it clips to the shifter. That's the easy part. It may be buried under a bunch of stuff under the dash. If you are lucky, the adjustment end will be accessible. Consult a repair manual for your particular vehicle. Sometimes, these indicators get pulled out of adjustment by someone poking around under the dash and unknowingly snags the string - also, these may slip on their own accord. This indicator is merely a convenience item and does not affect the operation of the truck. You can ignore it or fix it if you like to have "things right" on the instrument panel. It isn't critical unless the a driver depends on it, as might be the case when the vehicle gets passed around among several different drivers.
    ...See More

Do you find that little things can make a difference?

Q

Comments (8)
    I think you will see a big difference anytime you can do away with part of a wall that makes the room seemed closed up or blocks a nice view. I was always against an open floor plan, but I'm at that time of my life now where I want to do an about-face on so many things. We've removed part of a wall and a cabinet that blocked not only a lot of natural light but a beautiful view. The change is wonderful! Color changes the personality of a room. As much as I love my pinks and roses, I'm searching for a new paint color that still makes me feel good, but reflects my changing tastes. I'm thinking terracotta or something close to Fiesta's persimmon. It seems that I can't totally abandon the lighter shades of red.
    ...See More

Little things that make you happy!

Q

Comments (61)
    Not a little thing, but my younger son (age 44) finally got married yesterday to his true love. Small wedding and reception, but so nice to meet some of their friends who came from out of town and state, and I also got to visit with my nephew and niece and their spouses for the first time in a long time. I'm so happy to have a great daughter-in-law!
    ...See More
  • User
    7 years ago

Annie, I do breathe a heavy sigh and respond, "OK... I guess I'll have to drive you" with a tone of annoyance in my voice. Just so that they don't make it a habit. But deep down I'm delighted, and I bet your mom was, too. :-)

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

Great contributions from everyone. The older I get, the more I truly value "the little things", because I think they are what add up to a very satisfying life.

I like to see DH's glasses sitting by his book on the table. There's something very tender to me about that vignette.

I like a warm cup of tea with a splash of milk.

I like waking up on a weekend morning, getting my first cup of coffee, and padding back to bed where this little one almost always joins me for a cuddle.

I like the daily routine. The simple, basic act of making dinner with DH and cleaning up with him after we eat.

I like turning down the bed at night when the sheets are freshly laundered.

I like seeing the smiles of my coworkers and hearing their laughter, which often echoes through the space outside my office.

• runninginplace
    7 years ago

Little things I love:

That moment when I am finished with my day, and lie down in bed at night to read

The morning view as I come to work, it's only a short bike ride or walk and seeing the gorgeous sky and greenery always makes me grateful for life

Going to movies, anticipating getting lost in the story and also munching popcorn while I watch

Using my milk frother to make my coffee into a gourmet drink. Every. single. morning.

When my daughter or son texts or calls me, just to talk

Watching my husband play a hide-n-seek game with the cat while he makes the bed

Lying in bed on a rainy day or night, feeling cozy and safe

• Lavender Lass
    7 years ago

Birds singing outside. Horses playing in the pasture. Kitty sleeping on my pillow with me when I wake up.

Big thing....husband home and sleeping next to me, when I wake up : )

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Another thing I love is the sound of a dog lapping water from their bowl but out of sight.

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

Getting into a bed made with freshly washed and ironed sheets.

Watching the fireworks on Independence Day from my deck.

Ruffling my hand across my pot of mint when watering. The aroma takes me back to my grandmother's yard which always had lots of mint planted to use in tea, lemonade and water.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Runninginplace, lying in bed snuggling on a rainy, raw day is the best!

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Ditto fun2behere's getting into bed with clean, crisp sheets, only I'll add line-dried.

• 3katz4me
    7 years ago

My sweet and entertaining cats, the birds singing in the morning, the frogs croaking at night, the sun coming up in the morning, plants coming up in the spring, going outside in the morning on these beautiful spring days we are now having, being able to have the windows open, DH's delightful sense of humor, doing little things for DH that are helpful to him. It's one of my happiest times of year for little things - spring!

• Kitch4me
    7 years ago

I like good tunes on the radio. A slight chill in the air. I like seeing flags blowing in the wind. I love coming home from work and DH has dinner and a glass of wine ready!

• amck2
    7 years ago

I don't like big events and hoopla and I'm happier at home than traveling to exotic locales. The list of little things I love goes on forever, but I'll post some that immediately come to mind.

Our Public Library - I recently remarked to DH that I feel like turning a cartwheel every time I leave the library with an armload of treasures - audiobooks, cookbooks, historical novels. I never get over the gleeful feeling of finding something I can't wait to read. And I love the quiet reverence of the place and the librarians who treat the books and all the patrons with such respect.

Getting "Good Mail" - An email or photo or video of my family overseas makes my day. And going to the physical mailbox and finding a card with a handwritten note or my favorite magazine makes me smile.

Many Food Things - My morning oatmeal served with fresh fruit. A good cup of tea. A roast chicken for Sunday dinner. The aroma when you first break the seal on a new jar of peanut butter ;)

Pictures in Forum Posts - I didn't know how to post pics for the first 8 yrs. I frequented these forums. I felt bad because I always delighted in seeing a photo with a post.

So I'll end with a pic of my Wyman Crab & purple lilacs that are in full bloom - other little things that please me no end each spring!

• blfenton
    7 years ago

beagles - it's true, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Running through the trails in a forest that goes on forever

My sons stopping by and giving me a big hug

Coffee with the girlfriends

Spending time with my nieces and their little ones

Daily dinner with my husband

• tinam61
    7 years ago

My little things:

my pup snuggled up against my legs

hubby and I in our favorite chairs on the patio

lilacs (although ours are just about gone)

our flowers, plants, trees - I watch for the first bloom on everything. My magnolia has just started blooming . . .

text from my husband

a card in the mail

my husband leaving a note for me on the chalkboard (seen as I walk in the door)

bunny rabbits in the yard

hugs from my friend's daughter (she's 8)

fresh sheets

cool mornings when you just want to lay in bed and snuggle (and do!)

wind in my face

the donkey who lives below us - hearing him bray

fresh flowers in the house

a freshly mowed yard

I could go on and on . . . .it IS the little things!

• hhireno
    7 years ago

Amck, I will second the library and add the thought of you doing a cartwheel just made me happy. You'll have to put down your books and CDs first.

I deliberately park many blocks away from my library to get an extra walk. Often, I also get an upper body workout since I take too many books and hauling my tote bag back is hard work.

I love to go the library and see it being used by so many people. Ours just opened a new children's section and it is just wonderful.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

HHireno, How long have you lived in your town? I can't recall where the library is there now. I used to go to the library there when it was across from the (now old) courthouse, in the pie-shaped white building on the corner!

• Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

Each morning brings a smile and thankfulness for a new day.

Listening to my rooster crow for joy at the new day.

Listening to my rascally kitties mewing outside my door for their breakfast.

My sweet pups waking me up with kisses.

That heavenly first cup of coffee.

The realization that I don"t have to hurry to work and fight the traffic.

Watching my chickens run to me when I have treats for them. They have the cutest little fluffy butts and waddle when they run.

Receiving a text or email from one of my children.

Having my DGS stay overnight.

Seeing my husband when he comes down from the garages for the evening.

The feel of my sheets when I snuggle into bed at night.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago

Taking a leisurely drive to visit one of my favorite greenhouses today.

Seeing a herd of WHITE cattle laying on a green hillside during said drive.

Sitting on the back porch and toasting my bare toes in the sun.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

Waking up to birdsong. Catching a glimpse of our local fox before the dogs scare it away (by barking from inside). Our neighbor's new lab pup. Coming home to see our pups waiting at the door for me. The fact that we have fewer than 25 days left in school.

• User
    7 years ago

The love between siblings

• bpath
    7 years ago

Coming downstairs in the morning to coffee already made by DH. Especially good if he's been away, and now he's back.

All my guys under my roof. DS#1 is planning to move into an apartment with a coupla guys this summer. And Ds#2 is a HS junior, so I know it won't last.

Listening to my DSs talk, about games or books or shared school experiences.

my glass of wine after dinner.

A walk in the woods with my sweetie.

Alpine meadows and cowbells.

The snowplow.

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

a fresh haircut

the sun on my face

a (good) harmonica riff

lyrics that make me cry

the first snow of the season

my first cup of coffee (i sometimes go to bed eager to sleep and wake up for it)

when I make my bf laugh unexpectedly (esp since we've had struggles the last year.. but lately it's been happening more often)

little bites.. especially something I can scoop or smear on a cracker or little crostini

• dedtired
    7 years ago

When the scale is down a pound in the morning.

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Seeing a mama deer with her newborn little fawn.

• indygo
    7 years ago

This thread!

Anniversary roses from my husband (our 43rd!) and the way the peach of the sunset was captured in the leaded glass:

• User
    7 years ago

Most of my family, farms, fields... country outdoors. Cows, animals in general, a cold Coke in a can, smell of cut grass, sound of lawn mowers, (yes, I did type that) pretty gardens and landscape. A little 3" plastic bunny that lives by our computer. It was hooked to an Easter candy gift a few years back. There's a button on his belly that when pushed, whizzes his face around changing his expressions. He's silly and goofy. We've all grown quite attached to him. He recently received a little chipped boo boo on his forehead from DS. I'm going to rig up a band aid.

• User
    7 years ago

I agree, Indygo--this thread! What a sweet reminder of our blessings every day. Robo, thanks for starting it.

• tbenjr
    7 years ago

Early morning time outdoors; our 3 children (now adults); everything about my wife of 30 years; my compost (making it and smelling it); watching bugs and birds in my gardens; digging worms, the smells of different kinds of fresh caught fish; the sounds of moving or lapping water; the smell of a northern MN lake; poplar leaves shimmering in the breeze; canning and preserving self-procured food from our gardens, fishing and hunting; drinking red wine and beer; making and stacking firewood; honest money/silver (pre 65 dimes, quarters, halves and dollars) versus paper bills; my old pickup.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks to all of you for contributing! I'm going through an anxious/stressful time right now and have read this thread many times and will come back to it many times more. It's very soothing and nice to imagine all of your little joys.

• blfenton
    7 years ago

Oh robo, I hope your own little joys bring you some measure of comfort during this time. Dark chocolate is also a favourite little joy of mine that maybe you could try. :)

• User
    7 years ago

I keep coming back to this thread, too.

Tibbrix wrote: Another thing I love is the sound of a dog lapping water from their bowl but out of sight.

My own dog is a very refined, genteel water drinker. My sister's Lab, though... every time I visit, at some point the dog will go to his water dish in the laundry room and lap so loudly for what seems like forever, splashes it everywhere, walks away still smacking its lips and dripping across the floor... it's quite a production and requires a cleanup afterward. But we all laugh until we're crying--so animated and over the top!

• User
    7 years ago

This has been such a nice read. :)

People bringing up my late husband with sweet anecdotes, funny stories, how special he was, etc. It makes my heart so happy that he is remembered with such love and fondness. He was a truly amazing person, and touched so many lives. I love to hear his name spoken aloud.

Seeing my daughter laugh with genuine happiness. She's had a rough time these past few years, and her smile lights up my heart. I'm so proud of her.

My husband's love, a love that I never thought I'd know again. When we've been apart all day, and see each other again, we hug tight every single time, as if we've been apart for months. I'm so thankful.

• mojomom
    7 years ago

Just today --

A companionable lunch with one of my partners;

Coming home after work and opening the garage door to see that DH's car is there and knowing he is inside waiting for me;

Random texts from DD;

My Mom saying "hi, baby" when answering the phone and hearing my voice; and

this guy

• maggiepatty
    7 years ago

When all of the kids are home and we are all hanging out in the same room, laughing or arguing politics-- or even when most of them are here and we FaceTime the missing one!

Getting into a neatly made bed with freshly laundered flannel sheets and a homemade quilt I made myself a long time ago when I had babies who took a nap in the afternoon and I had to steal the time to sew.

The scented candles I buy at the local head shop that make my bedroom smell like heaven.

My garden, which offers not only beautiful flowers, but happy memories of my parents and of all the gardens I've ever made. Thinking back to my first little patch--it was a shabby little thing but oh my goodness, the fun I had poring over the catalogs I sent away for. Nothing better in this world than solitude, a pot of tea and a stack of garden catalogs in February when you are living your first garden!

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

My boys (now young men), my husband, my dogs, glorious clean bed sheets night, my yard, old friends, a good Cabernet and grilled swordfish (I don't do food matching). A nice swim on a sunny day, beautiful country, a small gathering on the beach at sunset and meeting new fun people. Love a good hamburger with fries ( a rare event). We no longer have a boat but there is no way to truly appreciate Florida till you do boating. That moment when a painting is going well and you enter "the zone". Oh I could go on and on!

• 4boys2
    7 years ago

This little guy.. Without him I'd be a shut-in :) He won 1st prize.It's a Build A Bear bear without all of it's stuffing.Thank-you YouTube !

• natesg
    7 years ago

A strong bite on my fishing pole

My husband holding my hand while we fall asleep

My grandchildren's laughter

Living in a neighborhood that I love

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

Sitting on the sofa reading gw, with my out of town dd and her DH asleep down the hall with their two kids in the next room. And knowing we get to have coffee together in the morning!

• patty Vinson
    7 years ago

Giggles from my grandkids!

The first blossoms on my Crepe Myrtles.

The smell of fresh rain.

Seeing my first butterfly of the season.

Lighting bugs!

Swallows building a nest on the chimney.

Christmas morning.

My grandkids birthdays!

Hearing I love you, from any one of my loved ones.

A hot fudge sundae.

Two birds chasing each other.

Sitting on the patio on a warm summer Texas evening.

Wishing on a falling star.

• mitchdesj
    7 years ago

dedtired, I almost posted what you did, "the scale being down one pound" but thought it would seem too shallow compared to all the heart felt things I'm reading. And it would be a dream for me to have my dh post what someone above posted:

"everything about my wife of 30 years" that is so sweet !!!! in my case it would read my wife of 42 years.

• runninginplace
    7 years ago

I have to share this viral video for those who haven't seen it--in many ways this captures, I think, the spirit of our discussion: finding the joy in something simple, in those moments that come and go so fast.

As the saying goes, the big moments are the small moments and this little clip captures someone loving one of hers and sharing it with the world!

• LucyStar1
    7 years ago

“Summer afternoon—summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.”
    Henry James

• Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

There isn't a piece of jewery, furniture, clothing, car, or any luxury that I wouldn't glad give up for the simple joy of sharing a pot of tea with my DM yet one more time.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

Holly-Kay, I agree (though in my case it might be iced tea).

After my mom passed, I took my dad to the veteran's cemetery to see the marker in place. Remains there are placed in the order recieved and my dad waited until they were on the side of the columbarium facing a pond and then calculated the days expected to be able to place her in front of it and between two trees. And that's exactly what he got for her (and later him). As we were there remembering her, a great white heron was standing at the water's edge. It let us watch a while, changed locations a couple of times and then took off and flew around and over the pond. I felt my mother was acknowledging our presence and letting us know she was free and at peace (she had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's 11-12 years earlier and had a broken hip and horrible GI infection at the end). Now I remember her when I see one linger when I approach or fly overhead. That's as close as I'm going to get while I'm still here. I'll take it.

Patty Vinson -- I haven't seen a lightening bug is so many years. I used to have them in my backyard of the house I lived in before DH and I were married -- so I guess that would be about 25 years. I miss them, and I like your list. :)

• gsciencechick
    7 years ago

Spring when everything is green and in bloom like the azalea bushes before it gets too hot here.

Long sunny days before the summer solstice.

Riding with the top down in my Mustang convertible. Rain, rain, go away!

Kitties in the lap or on the couch with us.

Getting a thank you note from a student at the end of the year.

Hearing success stories from former students.

Morning coffee.

Going to concerts with DH.

My Beach Blue Big Chill fridge (sorry for anyone who's seen this multiple times)

• LynnNM
    7 years ago

Early morning weekend breakfasts on our front portal during the Summer

Margaritas with DH on our front portal watching the sunsets.

The scent of freshly cut grass.

The cheerful sounds of birds.

The sweet "Good morning, Mamma!" from my daughter when she calls in the mornings to chat a bit as she walks to class at college.

The beautiful, welcoming lake scents when I'm home again in Michigan visiting my family.

Climbing into bed in the evenings, while I wait for DH to finish dictating charts, with a cup of hot tea and a good book.

The scent of our damp piñon pine trees after a rain.

The scent of piñon pine fires burning in fireplaces up and down our mountain valley on cold Winter evenings.

Having my little family all together again, if only for a short while . . . like right this very minute. Heaven!

• patty Vinson
    7 years ago

Lascatz, I would love to say I see them in plural numbers, but it's usually singular. lol Who knows, it could be the same one I see flittering from place to place. But I do feel a certain delight, and try to keep track of where they(or it!)might be next. It's usually after the rains, so I expect to be out on my patio tonight with my boy Jaxson Brown in search of a single lightning bug...maybe even two.

• neetsiepie
    7 years ago

So many of the things mentioned above are wonderful. I'd add: when I randomly spot a hummingbird, it always makes me smile.

Cats that come up to greet me when I take a walk.

Timing getting in my truck at just the right time so that there are no commercials playing on the radio during my drive to work.

When I get an email from a certain client-he always signs off with 'Cheers!'

Taking off my bra when I get home from work and changing in to my 'comfies'

• amck2
    7 years ago

The look on my granddaughter's face when I was the surprise school pick-up person on the first good "top-down" day. Topped off by stopping for an ice cream on the way home ;)