SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becky727_gw

did fios just break my tv?

becky727
15 years ago

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me. We just had Verizon FIOS installed yesterday, with 2 set top boxes and 1 DVR. The DVR was set up in the living room on our 4 year old 27" standard definition Philips Magnavox TV. During the installation, the tech had a hard time getting the picture on any TV hooked up to the DVR to work properly (it was wavy when there was text). He replaced the DVR and all of the wiring and it didn't fix the problem. I figured I could live with it since the picture wasn't bad unless there was a lot of text. When he left, everything was working properly.

Today I noticed that the remote for the DVR wasn't working on the DVR (but it would control the TV power and volume). If I took the remote right up to the DVR (like an inch away), it would work. We had a picture, cable, etc, just trouble with the remote.

So, we called Verizon tech support and an automated system worked through a series of prompts (which included Verizon remotely rebooting the DVR). Suddenly, the TV got a light grey screen with white horizontal lines and shut off automatically after about 10 seconds. Now we cannot turn the TV on at all -- it automatically goes to the grey screen and then shuts off. We disconnected it from the DVR. We tried unplugging/replugging. Nothing.

We finally got through to a person at Verizon Tech Support and they claim that this was completely coincidental. (They eventually conceded it could be related, but it certainly wasn't caused by FIOS.)

Could this be true? Could our TV that has operated perfectly with DISH Network up until yesterday, and the worked fine with FIOS for 24 hours, just suddenly die "coincidentally" when FIOS was remotely testing the DVR box that was attached to it? I'm so frustrated I don't know what to do. FIOS suggested I call a TV repair man (on my dime). What a pain -- 24 hours ago we "upgraded" to FIOS, and now our main TV is shot.

Do you think this could be fixed? Do you really think this is a coincidence? Do I dare hook another TV up to this DVR or risk the same thing happening? FIOS customer support isn't open until Monday, and the surly tech support supervisor was of no help.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (5)