SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Update on my son

neetsiepie
13 years ago

Well, the bad news is he's still in prison (it makes me so heartsick to say that), but the GOOD news is that he was moved today to a minimum security facility less than 2 miles from us!!

He gets 24 visit credits per month, not sure if that's calendar or every 30 days, so we will get to see him in the next day or so. A weekday visit is one credit per person, weekends are 2 pts each, so we're hoping we can get 3 visits a week. Petunia (the name I've always called his girlfriend) and I are so far the only approved visitors, so we're going to see him first.

I spoke with the man who was his counsellor and he was very impressed with my boy, said he DOES NOT belong in prison, and he loved Jon and was very impressed that he's so close to his family. He let Jon call me from his office, he said that is something he NEVER lets happen, but he thinks the world of Jon. I think he pulled some strings to get Jon placed so close to home.

In any event, he'll be eligible to take college courses at this location, and they have a program called Inside-Out where they get to actually go out and work, so he might get that, too. This is the best news we've gotten since he's been sent in. We've also learned that the DOC can override the sentencing, so there is a good chance he might get out early...and it appears that he'll have a lot of support politically when he is released to get a pardon.

The biggest issue we've had to deal with is to keep him engaged and from sinking into depression. We talk nearly every night, and that helps him, as do the well wishes he receives (and the generous gifts). His artistic talent has garnered him some 'cred' and extra envelopes. He also gets a lot of fresh fruit for his drawings. And on occasion, he's asked to pass on a message to a loved one for other guys who don't have money on their phone accounts, and that gets him A LOT of respect.

Again, I want to thank you all for your kindness and support. Jon is an awesome kid, loved by everyone, and he's working so hard to make this a positive outcome. We're anxious to see him...I've missed him so much! We're closer, every day, to having him home, and that will be the best day of my life!

Comments (21)