SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

The Road Less Traveled

neetsiepie
9 years ago

A couple years ago I stood at a crossroads and had to chose a path to take. I was pretty sure I knew which one I would follow, so I took a deep breath and headed down that road.

To my surprise, and in some cases, irritation, I was followed down that road. But as often happens, there was another fork and I went one way and he went another. But then, like an oxbow stream, our roads met up again and became a new, stronger stream.

Some marriages don't survive infidelity. Some do, but shouldn't. Mine didn't, and I'm really glad it didn't, because what it was was not a good one-and what it was reborn as was much better. It was honest and fresh and something that fit us both rather than us trying to fit it.

Last month we marked 25 years together. I feel like we're more united than ever and that is a good thing. The scar is always going to be there, but I pick at it less every day. We'll never be who we were before, but that's also a good thing, because it obviously wasn't working, and now I feel like it is working-and we work on it together.

There are still issues-the kids are still estranged from him-but coming around bit by bit. I don't force it and he knows that if I chose them over him, it's because I want to-and it's not my place to 'fix things'. That's his burden and it's between them and him. I don't put my expectations on him and he doesn't do it to me-which is incredibly freeing and I believe what is helping us to work and grow.

But my absolute best update is my son. He's come thru remarkably well adjusted. The HELL that was 2011 is past us like a bad nightmare. He has his own place, a new girlfriend who is happy taking it slow. He started working as a dishwasher in a restaurant-his former boss and mentor passed away while he was imprsioned-and that was the only job he could get. But they gave him a chance and he worked his way up the chain to be their week night chef and kitchen manager. Soon he was recruited by the hippest restaurant in town and is now chef there; locally renowned for his creme brulee and 'antipasto sushi'. And he always mentions 'those ladies who were so good to him'. You were a blessing to our family So life is pretty good right now. The road I chose was not the one most would chose, but it was definitely the right one for me..

Comments (24)