SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephmc72_gw

An update on Brad

stephmc72
15 years ago

It's been awhile since I've given an update on my friends son Brad, who has Crohn's Disease. Unfortunately, he's not doing well. Quite honestly, I'm really worried he could die from this. I'm very sad and angry about this whole situation.

If you might remember, he was originally diagnosed with Colitis at age 13. He had 2 major surgeries and since then, he never got better. He was then diagnosed with Crohns. Apparently his original diagnosis of Colitis was wrong. He went a couple years after his surgeries with no treatment, not realizing he had Crohn's and was getting worse. They have since been giving him treatments of Remicade, which is about the strongest he can get. Unfortunately, it's not working. He is getting worse. He is 6'3" and weighs 126lbs. He barely eats, he is in constant pain and is depressed. He's also in a bit of denial, not realizing (or wanting to realize) how serious this actually is. He is basically headed for another surgery where he will have a permanent Ileostomy. He is completely against it, which is sad because he needs it. He's 17 years old now and this whole thing has effected him so much, it's just completely taken everything out of him and he's tired. I know it's all very scary to him but he needs to realize the severity of it.

Anyway, at his doctors appt this week, they determined he is malnourished and will most likely be admitted to the hospital for total nourishment. He will have a PICC line through this stomach where they'll feed him. Once he's released, the PICC will stay in and he'll have nightly feedings at home.

THIS KILLS ME. I wish I could trade places with him. I would do it in a second. I worry about his state of mind and his future.

On a positive note, his mom and I are teaming up to do a walk to help raise money for the Crohn's and Colitis foundation. There's one in Sacramento next month that I can't attend because I'll be in Hawaii, but there's another in June in San Francisco that I will be doing. I've been trying to spread some awareness about the cause and have been collecting donations. It makes me feel good and people have been very generous.

So that's the latest update...I'll keep you posted. If you can think some positive thoughts or say a prayer for him, I would really appreciate it. He needs all the help he can get.

Comments (29)