Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Cuts Like A Knife ?

"Now it cuts like a knife - yeah
But It feels so right
Oh! It cuts like a knife
Yeah! But it feels so right"

First, let me answer this post from another thread:

Posted by jvanderh , "dcarch, what do you recommend for sharpeners? I bought a Lansky five stone set with a doohickey that is supposed to keep the knife at the correct angle, and it scratched the heck out of my knife but didn't seem to leave it any sharper."

For the price, the Lansky sharpening system is not a bad system for many people. It works best for smaller knives. It lets you sharpen both side of the knife at the same selected angle. It does not work that well for long knives and cleavers.

You have to be careful using the Lansky system because the stones which come with the set can cut aggressively. A normal sharpening stone is two to three inches in width, and when you sharpen on a regular stone you normally work at an angle to the stone making the effective stone width to three to four inches. On the Lansky system however, you are sharpening at the very narrow stone width, which looks like about half an inch. If you use the same pressure as you would with a regular stone, you may be applying many times the force on the knife's metal and cutting away too much metal too quickly.

There is a possibility that may be the case in your situation. You may be cutting too aggressively and creating a "burr" on the edge which dulls the edge.

Try using a lighter touch and make sure you are using the stones in the correct sequence.
---------------------------------

I don't consider myself an expert when it comes to sharpening knives. Whatever I have been doing I have been able to keep all my knives plenty sharp for all kitchen uses. I am not one of those who enjoys getting their knives polished to "scary sharp", shaving sharp or hairsplitting sharp. I do like to have my knives sushi sharp.

I am traveling using someone else's computer. I will share more ideas when I return. Meanwhile let's hear some of your ideas.

dcarch

Comments (23)