SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vettin

Mixed veg ideas?

vettin
14 years ago

Trying to eat more veggies and the easiest thing is to take mixed veg out of the freezer and steam it up.

Any mixed veg ideas before this gets too boring? Sauces (tzakiki sp?), recipes - e.g. casseroles. Would like to not make it too complicated.

Thank you!

Comments (33)

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

to me the easiest and most flavorful is roasted veggies..

Of course they need to be fresh...and a "wash" and prep day, affords atleast a week of fresh veggies to toss onto a sided sheet pan drizzle with EVOO and some S&P...a few herbs dried or fresh if you have them..and call it good..I take them cold in my lunch box to work...puree them and make soup with broth or stock and a bit of "cream"...

My soft favorites to roast are broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus and green beans...but of course root veggies are delish too..

for a change of "flavor" toss some parm on them after you pull them out of the oven and/or a squeeze of lemon juice..

• althetrainer
    14 years ago

Ooooo I saw a recipe in Allrecipes.com and it looked so good. Too bad I didn't see it until after our company had left. Now I am looking for excuses to make this veggie pizza! If you do try it please let me know. :-) Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Veggie Pizza

• Related Discussions

wanted: cukes, beans, roots have: toms, peps, veg & more

Q

Comments (6)
    I've been considering finding a trader who had a lot to trade, and was looking for about the same number of items as "wants". I would like a large variety in my garden this year without buying all of the seeds. I would be willing to purchase OP, Heirloom seeds of the varieties on your Wants list to split with you if you were willing to trade approx.equal number and quantities of items on your Haves list. Is this something you would be open to? (I know it's kind of a big project, but I figured I'd ask.)
    ...See More

Using compost in Veg garden

Q

Comments (41)
    Like Kimmsr, I use compost for seed starting, and I also get lots of unplanned volunteers in the compost pile. As long as the compost is finished or mostly-finished, it shouldn't be a big problem. You certainly wouldn't want to use "hot" compost with your seeds. :-) As to the seeds themselves, as mentioned above a lot depends on the type of seed, soil temperature, and the age of the seeds. Many times older seeds take longer to germinate and have a less successful germination rate. It's my understanding that carrot seeds can normally take 2-3 weeks to germinate; longer if the soil is too cold and/or the seeds are old. This is based on info I've read, not on personal experience. Last fall I started a new compost area that was to be turned into a vegetable patch this spring. Having started it late in the autumn, there were only a few inches of organic material applied to the ground and it never got hot enough to fully finish. I turned it once or twice in April as the ground started thawing, and the grass clippings had very little deterioration; they were mostly intact and kind of mucky like grass clippings get when you pile them up. No additional material had been added to the area since last December. But that didn't stop the volunteers of cucumbers, lettuce, and, lastly, tomatoes from germinating -- thanks to those leftover, unpicked fruits that were thrown in from the garden last October. [I'm used to tomato volunteers, but the cukes and lettuce were surprises.] I can't really speak to experience with carrots (maybe I'll grow some next year), but there could be a number of factors that influenced low and slow germination. All the best.
    ...See More

Tomato leaves darker in bucket - lighter in VegTrug. Any ideas why?

Q

Comments (12)
    "My question is, why are the leaves darker green in the bucket and lighter green in the VegTrug? I fertilize the plants with epsom salt in water (not every day) and also threw in broken up egg shells." The difference in the green color is due to the different levels of nitrogen in the soils. Neither epsom salts nor egg shells are fertilizers. Epsom salts supplies only a small amount of magnesium. Plants only need a very small amount anyway and it is normally available from the soil. In containers it is easy to create magnesium-toxic soil when it is used too much. Egg shells take 10-18 months to dissolve and even when they do they supply a very small amount of calcium only and in a form that plants can't use. Plants need actual fertilizer (either organic or synthetic)- nitrogen, potassium, phosphorous, and several micro-nutrients to thrive and plants growing in containers need all those things on a regular basis. Strongly suggest you do some research into fertilizers and plant nutrient needs. Dave
    ...See More

Mixed borders Ideas

Q

Comments (15)
    Your plan looks lovely! Even if it doesn't work the way you picture it and you need to tweak it a bit, that's part of the fun of gardening. I think you'll like the end result. A few years ago I decided to add more plants that would attract pollinators. I have a deer problem so the plants would need to discourage browsing. In early spring I have spring bulbs (no tulips) that disappear eventually. Next are columbine, short-lived perennials that self-seed, covering bulb leaves and serving up nectar for returning hummingbirds. I have lilies, amarylis, penstemon, foxglove, nicotiana and salvia for hummingbirds, phlox paniculata for butterflies, monarda, a local groundcover called Cumberland rosemary and decorative herbs for bees. In summer I fill in the empty spots with annuals like zinnias that attract bees and butterflies. Key to their attractiveness is height (standards are best) and fewer petals. Last fall I added a little evergreen heath- erica darleyensis 'Darley Dale'- that blooms fall and winter till April. I've seen early and late bumblebees on their flowers. All these do well with roses as long as drainage is good. My soil is poor, dry, rocky and extremely acidic. You can probably do better than I can. BTW, deer WILL browse on almost anything if they are starving. Nothing is completely immune.
    ...See More
  • lindac
    14 years ago

I love broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and a little onion....
    And I really love cheese sauce on that....but that's not adding to the healthy aspects of the dish....

• trixietx
    14 years ago

I don't think I have had a roasted vegetable that I didn't like, not yet anyway!

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

Roasted mixed vegetables for us also. Zuch, Squash, tomatoes, onions, broccoli, beans, etc. The list could go on. Toss with some olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and good to go.

Stir fry also with tons of combinations of veges.

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

Tonights dinner...
    is Pork Stir Fry Bowls..

the veggies are broccoli, carrots, yellow and red peppers, and pea pods..plus leeks, garlic and ginger..oh and green onions...

• tami_ohio
    14 years ago

I did my "hamburger helper" version of beef stroganoff for dinner tonight. Brown hamburger and onion, add cooked mixed veggies, cooked noodles, a can of cream of mushroom soup and some milk to turn it into a gravy. I also added a few perogis to it. Oh, and a spoonful of sour cream.

Tami

• Rusty
    14 years ago

Al, I've been making that basic veggie pizza for a number of years now.
    I've used any number of different raw vegetables on it, in a variety of combinations.
    It's all good!
    Even more fun if you do it round like a 'real' pizza!

Rusty

• susytwo
    14 years ago

I've had that veggie "pizza" before when it was served at a Pampered Chef party. It's tasty enough, but very rich.

Adding a little grated cheese to mixed veggies puts a little spin on things. Sometimes I like to toss some veggies with a little EVOO and balsamic vinegar, and add some toasted pine nuts or almond slices.

Green beans can be dressed up by tossing them with a little sauteed onion and bacon. And I love brussels sprouts or cauliflower covered with a few tablespoons of breadcrumbs which have been toasted in a pan with butter.

• sands99
    14 years ago

I suck at veggies - never ate a cooked one until I was over 20 so I always have to work at getting them in my diet especially having 2 kids and needing to set an example...

I few of my favs:

Steam broccoli over chicken broth it really imparts a great flavor.

Roasted cauliflower (or any other roasted veggie) soup - I friggin *hate* cauliflower and I could eat this soup 3 meals a day for a month and not bat an eye. Lemme know if you want the recipe. Alot of pots and pans but worth it and low in fat.

Chicken Pie-pie aka chicken pot pie - another super easy wicked tasty use of mixed veggies, but this one is not low fat but waaay worth the stick of butter. Gotta type that one up too if you would like it.

Chicken fried rice - make the rice the day before and leave it in an open container in the fridge overnite. Add a bunch of veggies and some chicken (also cooked the day before) and some egg [I cook it in a big pan like a crepe and chiffonade to add later]

Frozen pea cones: don't laugh but I got my kids to eat peas as frozen treats in waffle cones!

Baby Carrots in EVOO, Thyme and OJ. Blanche carrots first to preferred "tooth".

• mikes100acdreamfarm
    14 years ago

I've made the veggie pizza for years too. It's good, but rich as was noted. I tend to grate my veggies a little finer so they meld better. I usually use broccoli,carrots,green onions,black olives, 3 different colors of peppers and Mexican cheese.

Using those same veggies and adding muchrooms with a tomato sauce on a hot pizza with mozz. is one of my favorites too.

How about Kohlrabi, potatoes and carrot with a light cheese sauce. But like lindac said the cheese sauce sort of cancels the healty factor.

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Yep...that is the same as the veggie pizza I make, too. Got the recipe from a former boss back in 1998. It's really good, definitley try it!

I love fresh green beans. I sometimes just steam them and add a little salt, sometimes I saute them in a little EVOO and some lemon pepper seasoning.

This salad is awesome! Even better the second day, as is the corn salad recipe that follows.

Fresh Green Bean Salad (Marilyn GW)

2 ears of fresh sweet corn (2 cups)
    Kosher salt
    Fresh ground black pepper
    1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
    1/2 Vidalia or red onion, sliced thin
    2 cloves garlic; finely minced and mashed
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 pint grape tomatoes; cut in half
    a hand-full of fresh basil leaves; chopped

Sprinkle corn with salt and pepper, drizzle with a little olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Roast corn in a 425 oven for 10 to 15 minutes until just tender. Remove corn to rack to cool then cut corn from cob.

Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and simmer until beans are just tender but not too soft (4 to 5 minutes). If they are overcooked they will loose their vibrant color. Remove beans from hot water directly to ice water to stop the cooking and cool the beans. Remove to paper towels to dry completely.

Place garlic in the bottom of a large bowl along with vinegar and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. While whisking, slowly pour in olive oil until all is well combined. When ready to serve, add corn, beans, onion, tomatoes and basil; toss and taste adding more salt and pepper if necessary. This is best serve right away. Inspired by recipe from Fine Cooking magazine.

*To mellow the flavor of red onion, place slices in a bowl of ice water for 10 or 15 minutes, dry on paper towels before adding to salad.

White Corn Salad 2c frozen shoepeg white corn (can sub regular yellow corn) 3/4c chopped roma tomato 1/2 c chopped cucumber 2T chopped green bell pepper 3T white wine vinegar 1\-1/2 tsp olive oil 1 tsp Dijon mustard ¼ tsp salt 1/8 tsp ground black pepper 1 clove garlic, minced Combine vegetables in bowl, toss. Combine remaining ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously. Pour over corn mixture and toss well. Serves 4 From Cooking Light magazine, date unknown ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This cauliflower recipe is yummy... Roasted Cauliflower with Fresh Herbs and Parmesan 12c cauliflower florets (about 2 heads) 1\-1/2 T olive oil 1T chopped fresh parsley 2Tsp chopped fresh thyme 2tsp chopped fresh tarragon 3 garlic cloves, minced 1/4 c grated parmesan cheese 2T fresh lemon juice 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper Preheat oven to 450F Place cauliflower in large roasting pan or jelly roll pan. Drizzle with oil, toss well to coat. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes or until tender and browned, stirring every 5 minutes. Sprinkle with herbs and garlic, bake 5 minutes. Combine cauliflower mixture, cheese and remaining ingredients in large bowl, toss well to combine. Yield: 8 servings, about 1 cup each. Linda
  • annie1992
    14 years ago

yup, the same veggie pizza recipe I always use too, I've been making it for years, Amanda loves the stuff.

I like roasted vegetables, my favorites are the root vegetables so I'll do a whole roasting pan full of sweet potatoes, parsnips, beets, onions, red potatoes, whatever I can find. I like roasted butternut squash too and the ONLY way I'll eat cauliflower is roasted.

The frozen mixed vegetables that I THINK vettin is talking about come frozen in a bag. I use them in a pinch in chicken pot pie, in shepherd's pie, in soup. I like them best just steamed in the microwave and mixed with fat free honey mustard dressing, salt and pepper. Drained yogurt with grainy mustard and honey works better than the commercial stuff, but sometimes that's all I have.

Annie

• althetrainer
    14 years ago

Thank you Sooo much for all your feedback on the veggie pizza! I am very much looking forward to making it. Little man's birthday is coming up in 2 weeks. Every year he asked for a veggie tray with dips to go with his cake but no other kids would eat it. I am hoping this year some of the kids will dive in so he won't feel so lonely! LOL

I have a question though... why crescent pastry? Is it because of the wedge shape? Or it tastes better with the pastry? If the pastry gives better flavor I definitely will go for it. If not, I can use regular pizza dough. Thanks again. Now I am excited!

Al

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Al, it's not the shape, because the crescent rolls just get unrolled and pressed into a pan in one piece, they aren't left in wedges. My girls only like it with crescent rolls, pizza dough is not the same, I don't know why.

Annie

• althetrainer
    14 years ago

Thanks Annie! I definitely will go with crescent rolls then. Al

• dirtgirl07
    14 years ago

I'll try this again without hitting the return on the mouse!! 20+ years ago when a friend of mine made the veggie pizza for her son's wedding reception.. it was the hit of the reception. She minced her veggies fine - carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, onions and black olives.

Gotta be careful of the dry ranch dressing though. Heavy in salt and used to contain msg.

That same ranch dressing mix used on flour tortillas, layered with lettuce, tomatoes and red onions - roll up and slice for little pinwheel bites - very good!

Beth

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

We use this recipe from Pillsbury as the basis for a casserole (that I was thinking about earlier tonight, I haven't had it for a while).
    http://www.pillsbury.com/Recipes/ShowRecipe.aspx?rid=12448

We make it as a casserole rather than in individual cups, skip the mushrooms and use a bag of frozen mixed veggies (carrots, peas, green beans) for the veggies.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

COCA DE VERDURAS (Mallorcan Vegetable Tart)

This is one version of the delicious cocas prepared on the Spanish Balearic Islands. They are sold in nearly every bakery and are often eaten out of hand while standing up in the bakery, as a breakfast on the way to work, or as an afternoon snack on the way home or after school. They are usually eaten at room temperature and make wonderful side dishes for a cold summer buffet, picnic or evening snack.

There are many variations of coca and in winter the peppers may be substituted by Swiss chard or spinach and without tomatoes. Here is one recipe which is also know as 'Coca de Trempó'. Often the red peppers are skinned and in strips, and accompanied on top of the coca by artichoke hearts, olives and anchovies. This would be called 'Coca Amb Pebres', where 'pebres' are the red peppers in the Mallorquin dialect.

Vegetable Tart - Coca de Verduras
    (From the Island of Mallorca)
    =======================

Ingredients for 4 people:

4 cups (500 grams) all purpose flour
    1 oz (25 grams fresh yeast or 1 pkg dry yeast
    4 TBS olive oil
    1/4 cup (2 oz or 50 grams) lard
    3 medium Italian sweet green peppers or green bell peppers cut in small pieces
    3 spring onions - cut in small pieces including all the stalk
    3 ripe medium sized tomatoes- sliced finely
    1 clove of garlic - sliced finely
    1 handful of Italian flatleaf parsley, chopped
    1 TBS of sweet red paprika
    salt
    water - 1 cup lukewarm

1) Turn on the oven and set temperature at 375 F (191 C)

2) Put the warm water in a mixing bowl (preferrable one of porcelain or terracotta) and dissolve the yeast in it.

3) Add the lard and the olive oil. Add the flour gradually, mixing in by hand until the mixture leaves the side of the bowl.

4) Form a ball and let it rest for a few minutes while you prepare the vegetables.

5) Chop and slice vegetables into a large bowl, add the paprika and some salt and mix all together.

6) Lightly oil either a round pan of about 13" diameter (32 Cm) or a rectangular pan 13" x 11" (32 Cm x 27 Cm) both with a depth of approx 1/2 inch (1 cm). A cookie sheet or oven tray would be ideal.

7) Place dough in centre and carefully stretch it out with palms of hands, patting to fit pan, keeping an even thickness. It should be thin. Note:(I like it a little thicker.)

8) Arrange vegetables evenly on top of the dough, drizzling at the same time with olive oil and salt.

9) Put coca into oven for about 1 hour or until crust is lightly golden and vegetables are cooked. After taking it out of the oven, drizzle a little more olive oil on top.

10)You can eat this hot or cold. In winter the vegetables may be swiss chard or spinach, substituting the peppers, but also used raw and finely chopped.

Source: translated from "Cocina Balear" Ana Maria Calera
    Editorial Everest - Leon (España)

That was my original post. Then I made it in a smaller pan in my toaster oven. The pastry bottom was just pushed into the pan and spread with my fingers until it covered.

Here are the photos of how it looked: (click)

Then when I had the loose bottomed tart pans I made them even better with more toppings, including tuna on one along with the red and green peppers, onions, olives and olive oil. The pastry was again just pressed into the pans and spread out and up the sides.

The lard pastry is typical of Mallorca where pork products are widely used.
    It makes a rather firm pastry which holds up well when eating these pieces of coca out of hand rather than from a plate.
    These are the ultimate Spanish Pizza and they are healthy as well, without cream or cheese. The pastry is traditionally made from lard and tastes best made that way.

SharonCb

• rachelellen
    14 years ago

vettin, it sounds like you were asking how to dress up frozen veggies so you don't get bored with them?

Different herb mixes or sauces would help. If you don't cook much or don't have the time, Penzey's has some great, ready-made herb,spice and cheese mixes that you could just sprinkle on for different flavorings. Check out their website at the link below..I like to look at their catalog on line, which you can do by clicking on the picture of the catalog you will find there.

Sauteing a bit of onion or garlic before tossing the frozen veggies into the pan will add flavor, or some diced tomato. A splash of hot sauce or soy sauce would be a bit different too. If you've any fresh herbs growing in your yard, a few minced leaves tossed in with a squirt of lemon juice is nice.

An easy way to eat more veggies is to cut up some mixed vegetables to have ready in the fridge to eat with dip. Many people like them raw, but I also like them quickly blanched. Broccoli or cauliflower florets, Brussels sprouts, carrots,green beans or snow peas all do well plunged into boiling water for about 2 minutes and then removed quickly into a bath of ice water (snow peas, one minute). This method takes away the "raw" flavor but leaves the vegetables firm, crunchy and bright in color. Pair these with raw vegetables like peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumber or zucchini slices, tender green onions and radishes. A tupperware container of prepared veggies and another of dip may tempt you to munch on them between meals instead of other, perhaps less desirable (from a health point of view) things. If I want to keep them for more than a couple of days, I make sure they are well drained and put a folded paper towel in the bottom of the container to draw off any moisture that seeps from the veggies.

Dips can be a s simple as store-bought dressings, mayo plain or mixed with soy sauce (and grated ginger?) or garlic (and minced herbs?)

It's fun to look at other cuisines for dips as well. Thai people have a number of very tasty dips they use for vegetables, though making them involves a bit more labor than opening bottled dressing! :D I make a version of an Indian Raita and use it as a dip...plain yogurt, mixed with shredded and squeezed dry cucumber shreds & chopped mint. Dipping veggies in Italy involves a warm olive oil, garlic, anchovies, butter and sometimes cream (Bagna Cauda).

• dirtgirl07
    14 years ago

Rachelellen, I'm glad you mentioned blanching some of the vegetables. Can't remember if I mentioned this before but they've found that all cruciferous veggies need to be cooked some in order to get the nutrients. In raw state, they don't release them and you aren't eating as healthy as you think. It's the same as chewing your food well to release the nutrients.
    Beth

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

Gotta be careful of the dry ranch dressing though. Heavy in salt and used to contain msg.

Having just read that recipe I think salt would be the least of my concerns. Yikes! It does sound good though.

• mktoni
    14 years ago

I found this recipe browsing the internet for something different to serve with our Christmas Eve dinner .... it may have been the first time that I ever ate parsnips! I know for a fact that it was the first time I ever prepared them! Anyhow, it was delicious and simple to prepare!

From Epicurious website:

Honey-Glazed Roasted Carrots and Parsnips
    (makes 8 servings)

2 pounds carrots (1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter), peeled, halved lengthwise
    2 pounds parsnips (1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter), peeled, halved lengthwise
    6 tablespoons olive oil

1 1/2 tablespoons butter
    1 1/2 tablespoons honey
    1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

Position 1 rack in center and 1 rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 400°F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with foil. Divide carrots and parsnips between prepared sheets. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, then drizzle 3 tablespoons oil over vegetables on each sheet; toss to coat.

Roast vegetables 10 minutes; stir. Roast vegetables 10 minutes longer, stir, and reverse sheets. Continue roasting until vegetables are tender and slightly charred, about 15 minutes longer. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Tent with foil and let stand at room temperature. Rewarm uncovered in 350°F oven 10 minutes.)

Melt butter in heavy small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in honey and vinegar. Drizzle honey glaze over vegetables and serve.

Side note - I opted to put them into a bowl and toss them with the oil, salt and pepper, prior to putting them onto the baking sheet!

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Although I detest "big ol' honking dry lima beans" - I love little butterbeans or butter peas. I buy a bag frozen, cook them in some water flavored with Better Than Bouillon and add a package of whole kernel or shoepeg corn when the beans are almost done. Eat some for dinner, cool the rest and package up in small containers for one person and freeze them. Then thaw in the fridge and warm in a little bowl in the microwave. My version of succotash. Yummm, good!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Oh, and Al, I've used the low fat crescent rolls, although I think it's a misnomer, it's actually reduced fat. Still pretty good, even with low fat cream cheese, at least that's how I make it.

Teresa, I'm with you on the "big ole' honkin' dry lima beans". I like the sounds of that "succotash", I'll try that, it would be a good lunch for work. I'll eat the small limas, but not those big ones.

I also like hummus but don't care for whole chickpeas, they also seem to have a kind of dry/crumbly texture.

Annie

• althetrainer
    14 years ago

Annie, I have already bought the crescent rolls and they are low fat, 33% less fat than the original recipe. I also have low fat cream cheese and 1% fat sour cream. I can't wait to make it for little man's birthday! Since the party will be small, less than 10 kids, I plan on making carrot cupcakes for the kids to take home. Or they can eat their cakes if they don't like the veggie pizza.

Oh I love beans, peas, nut and anything in that nature! Since very young age, I was always the odd kid who preferred baked beans over candy! LOL

Al

• velodoug
    14 years ago

Getting back to the frozen mixed vegetables, one of our favorite comfort foods is curried mixed vegetables.

I sauté a chopped onion in peanut oil in an 8" sauté pan. (One of my few dishes where the size of the cookware makes a difference.) I add a tsp. or so of ground cumin, a tsp. or so of ground coriander, a skimpy tsp. of ground turmeric plus salt and pepper. I stir the spices in the hot oil until they just start to smell nice. I add a 10 oz. package of frozen mixed vegetables and half a cup of chicken stock, stir it up, distribute the veggies evenly in the pan, bring the whole thing to a boil, and turn it down to a fast simmer.

Now comes the hard part - for me at last. I walk away and leave it until the liquid is almost all boiled off.

I add enough water to just cover the veggies, stir it up, distribute the the veggies evenly in the pan, bring the whole thing to a boil, and turn it down to a fast simmer and walk away again until the liquid is almost all boiled off.

I repeat that last step several more times until the total simmering time is at least 30 minutes. On the last cycle I take it off the heat when just a bit of liquid remains.

We particularly like this with fish, but it has enough flavor to stand up to almost any accompanying foods.

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Annie, I'm so glad to hear of another person that can't take whole garbanzo beans! I've tried them, but I can't put one of those things in my mouth. Hummus I love and can eat non-stop. Even well cooked the garbanzos are not for me, "they also seem to have a kind of dry/crumbly texture."

Teresa, who still wants Annie to try garlic cheese grits before she discounts grits altogether!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I dunno, Teresa, would you come to Michigan and cook those garlic cheese grits for me? Or do I have to come down there?

Doug, that sounds like a really good way to cook those vegetables and the spices could be varied according to what you and your family likes, I think.

Annie

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

"Posted by vettin --Trying to eat more veggies ----Any mixed veg ideas before this gets too boring? ------ Would like to not make it too complicated.
    Thank you!"

Not too complicated! Yes. All are very simple to make.
    Too boring? You tell me.

dcarch
    Egg plants

Avocado, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella cheese

Watermelon radish

That's tofu with tomatoes

Watermelon rind

Mixed veggies

• KatieC
    14 years ago

This is what we had tonight...it's a staple, and I use whatever fresh vegies I have. Always lots of garlic and some tomatoes, though:

Onion and lots of garlic sauteed in olive oil. Add julienned carrots, some red sweet pepper, broccoli, cauliflower (or whatever you like) and steam-fry. I usually toss in some diced tomatoes once the vegies are nearly done, but I didn't have any. I rehydrated some seasoned dried cherry tomato halves and used those...mmmmm....

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Vettin I use frozen veggies all the time, due to the convenience, speed and cost. But I'm vegetarian, so the dishes I make are the center of the plate, not a side dish so I don't know if you will like the ones I make. I don't always use the mixed ones, also individual types.

OK, for mixed, my favorite uber quick meal is instant brown rice, stir fried with frozen veggies and asian style baked tofu. Just by whatever frozen stir fry mix you like. Get the rice started while you heat 1 TBLSP oil in a wok. I have a flat bottomed heavy duty non stick one that I love. When I want super fast I just do the frozen veggies, but if not, you can do some fresh ones like onions, cauliflower, broccoli, peppers or zuchinni. Do them first. Stir fry for a bout 2 min. Then add the frozen veggies. This splatters since there is water in the mix. I use a splatter guard. You're not really going to get the crispy stir fried texture with the frozen veggies, but it still tastes good. Then chop up the tofu and add it after the veggies are heated through. I use McCormick's Thai spice mix or just ginger and garlic and maybe some mustard or hoisin sauce and tamari. I don't like five spice powder but you can use that if you like it. Lastly add the cooked rice, and adjust the seasoning to your taste with soy sauce. I buy pre-bottled thai peanut sauce or hosin sauce or some other kinds of pre-made asian sauces you can get in the groceries now, some are really good. Top with chopped peanuts or cashews or toasted ground sesame seeds. Dinner on the table in 15 min. I guess you could use indian curry style seasonings for this, and garbanzo beans instead of tofu.

I get a mexican mix and add it to beans and rice. Same procedure as above, but I like black beans or red kidney beans or pintos. I use salsa for seasoning and adobo seasoning I get from Penzeys along with ancho chile powder. I also add frozen mixed vegetables to enchiladas. I mix them in with refried beans and cheese, roll into a corn tortilla and top with canned enchilada sauce or what I make myself with tomato sauce seasoned with salsa. You can also throw mixed veggies in between the layers of lasagne, top with ricotta or drained cottage cheese.

You can add chopped meat bits to any of these dishes.

I use frozen spinach, canned stewed tomatoes, and canelinni beans to make "beans and greens." Again, you can add whatever fresh veggies to the mix you like, such as onions, peppers and zuchinni. Serve over pasta or rice or polenta. Can also do this "jerk" style. Depends on what kind of seasoning you get. You can buy jerk seasoning but it is hot pepper to taste, thyme, allspice, garlic and maybe corriander, cloves or ginger and onion. Vinegar and brown sugar too if you like. As someone mentioned, getting good quality spice mixes or making your own makes seasoning mixed veggies fast and easy.

Mix frozen baby limas, sauteed diced onions, scrambled eggs and a bit of ham or bacon. I use fake bacon bits.

Another way to use frozen veggie mixes is in noodle soup. Make a clear broth of your choice, add the frozen veggies and then whatever type of noodle you like--lo mein, soba or rice. Season with soy sauce, ginger, garlic and scallions. Use tofu or chopped meat bits for protein. The same type of soup can be seasoned with italian seasoning and made with frozen peas and carrots and either rice or orzo or ditalinni or acini de pepe.

Use frozen veggies with pasta, like lo mein, tofu, bottled sauce and asian style frozen veggies. Or mix peanut butter, hoisin and ketchup. Can use pork or chicken for protein instead of tofu. Or pasta primavera style, with a cream sauce mixed with parmesean. Mix frozen broccoli with rice and cheese, or pasta and cheese sauce. Goat or feta cheese are great with this. I've also made a more Germanic style pasta dish with thick egg noodles, very light cheese or white sauce, flavored with bacon, and frozen green beans. I have "Bavarian" sesoning from Penzeys for this dish. Also season with onions and oil.

Mixed carrots and peas can be used for Ensalata Russa, which is a potato salad of Mediterannean origin.

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

Another garbonzo bean hater here. I will eat hummus though.

I like to take yellow squash and slice it thin, narrow strips of yellow, green and red bell pepper and saute them in a very small amount of olive oil until crisp tender (just two or three minutes for the squash and a little longer for the peppers). Liberally sprinkle with salt, pepper and other seasonings of your choice. So quick, so pretty and yet so good.