SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlyrkb

Life Insurance

kimberlyrkb
14 years ago

Do people buy life insurance for their kids? My husband thinks most people do, but I have no idea if he's correct or not. My thought is no, maybe not, because kids have no family to support or mortgage to pay off or college tuition to cover like a parent perhaps would.

When my husband and his first wife had their two kids, they bought enough life insurance ($10K on each) - just enough to pay for funeral expenses in the unlikely event of their deaths. He was a new teacher and she was a stay-at-home mom, so it would have been difficult for them to cover a funeral on his salary at the time.

Two years after my step-daughter was born, she was diagnosed with a mitochondrial disorder. Her life expectancy was around 10 years of age. She has lasted much longer than anyone thought she would and is now almost 17 years old. There is no sign that she will pass away any time soon, and in fact, is very healthy and doing well.

Life insurance premiums on step-daughter are up to almost $900 per year- it's high due to her terminal diagnosis. My thought is we should stop paying life insurance premiums and gamble that she won't die in the next 2-3 years, and start socking money away in a bank account to cover funeral costs. We make enough to do that fairly easily. My husband, however, is a bit nervous to end this life insurance policy. Due to the medical issues, we can't get another policy with any other provider - the only reason the current one is in place is that he had it BEFORE she was diagnosed.

Am I wrong in thinking that we should set money aside instead of paying such high premiums? We're going to ask some "experts" in the field, but I'd like to know from people who have practical experience what their opinions are....not just insurance salesmen/women.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH