SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hhireno

Time for another list of book suggestions

hhireno
13 years ago

I'm talkin' to you Ann/RunninginPlace.

Actually, I'd be happy to get ideas from everyone but Ann's lists are always excellent so I'm hoping she has some new ideas to share.

I just read Cutting for Stone by Andrew Verghese and highly recommend it.

Thanks to a suggestion from here, I've been reading the series by Louise Penny and find them very pleasant. A little mystery, a little humor, even with the murders it's not too grim. A nice diversion from the current world news.

Anyone have something to recommend?

Comments (45)

• kimberlyrkb
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm not Ann, but I LOVED Cutting for Stone. Here are some I've recently read or have on my to-read list:

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
    Like Water for Elephants
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
    Moloka'i
    Zeitoun
    Half Broke Horses
    Unbroken
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

If I can think of more, I'll post them.

I'm interested to hear what others post!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

A recent read that I really liked is:

Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures

and, although I probably mentioned this already, Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

and, though I am the last person on earth to have read this, so I am told, it has been incredibly helpful to me recently:

The Five Love Languages

I'm in a James Clavell mood at the moment and am reading Noble House right now.

• Related Discussions

The Perfect To-Do List:Any Suggestions For Making One That Works?

Q

Comments (14)
    Cupofkindness What has finally worked for me is having daily tasks: I made a table using Word and put the tasks under each day of the week and stuck it on the wall in my familyroom. I don't look at it much now, as I have the routine ingrained. DAILY: clothes meals swish and swipe each bathroom (DD8 often will do the main) clean kitchen after each meal- any dishes that won't fit in the DW are hand washed basic tidy up each day DD8 bedroom tidy up I have certain tasks on certain days: WEEKLY: Monday is the floors Tuesday is change bedding and ironing Wednesday is bathrooms and towels Thursday is dust and cobwebs Friday is floors and ironing Weekends- gardening How I worked out my weekly tasks was in reflection of the day- eg Monday the chn have swimming and we get home late- so I want and easy day. Wednesday is my day off, so I have the time to do the bathrooms. MENU: I follow a specific menu plan which is a six week rotating cycle. (Again, consider daily needs- eg Monday is my busy day so I often choose fish and salad for that day as it is quick to prepare.) DH is a computer nerd and used Access to make a menu/grocery program- each week he selects eg: 'Week 4' and the menu for week 4 generates a grocery list- with a quick check of the pantry/fridge we know what we need. The grocery list also includes store items (eg flour) and cleaning products (eg washing powder). One we check items as a quantity or a zero the program generates a grocery list. Now this is my super nerd hubby- the list is in aisle order and shelf order as you go down the aisle of our local grocery store. Sweet! Sometimes I miss the old style of hit and miss cooking days (... mince... hmmm, do I have a tin of tomatoes? oh a carrot!... any basil? yes! Spaghetti? no... oh well penne will do!). But overall, I love the fact that I can tell you that next Sunday I am having a beef roast with roasted beetroot, garlic, carrots, sweet potato and broccoli. With fruit and yoghurt for dessert! My time organiser is my regular calendar- I bought one with a column for each child (harder for you I realise). I told them all- if it isn't on the calendar it won't happen. School assignments, social engagements, meetings, visitors, family time and anything that impacts on a specific day. Good luck! How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! In other words- keep goals realistic. Em
    ...See More

Another book to add to your 'good' list

Q

Comments (8)
    For some reason I'm reading like crazy! I started in December when I had a couple weeks off from work (I read 5 books the month of December!). I'm now in the last quarter of "Lonesome Dove" and I can't put it down. I have a couple of others waiting to be read after this one, but I think I will pick up another in the "Lonesome Dove" series to read in the Springtime. I never saw the television version of Lonesome Dove...but the book is really really good! ~Susan
    ...See More

A Book List: Good Novels for Hard Times

Q

Comments (19)
    I have only read a few of those books, one of which (The World According to Garp) I actively disliked. From what I know of them, they are not what I personally would choose to read during hard times, especially a prolonged period of hard times. I might want to read a book or two or three that provided understanding about what I was going through, but mostly I would like to remind myself that times had once been better, and possibly would be again one day. When I am worried and depressed and struggling, I don't want to read that life is all about fear and sadness and endless difficulty, whether those books tell me that patient endurance and courage will eventually see me through, or whether they tell me there's no hope at the end, anyway. So yes, books about hard times, best read in retrospect, when life is a bit more bearable.
    ...See More

Time for another "What are you reading?"

Q

Comments (207)
    Just had our first book club meeting after summer hiatus; books discussed were Go Set a Watchman and To Kill a Mockingbird. Of the 9 present, 8 rated GSAW 'meh'. One HATED it. I was that one...IMO it was not a book. It was a very early, very very very badly written mess of an idea that was read by a genius editor who spotted a nugget of gold in the childhood reminiscences and managed to wrestle Harper Lee into pulling together TKAM. By all accounts Lee (very rightly) never wanted Watchman published. Frankly, after reading both books I suspect Harper Lee never wrote another book because Mockingbird was more or less a heaven sent combination of editing and one Big Idea, and I doubt she was capable of creating anything else. Anyway, now she is blind, deaf and has dementia. Her sister Alice, a sharp and protective woman (a lawyer herself). who watched over Harper Lee died last year and suddenly two months later her now-fully-in-control attorney discovers and sells the new book for publication. I call bu**sh*t on the whole thing. It isn't a book, just a cash grab and it should never have seen the light of day. Actually reminded me of when I attempted to read Fifty Shades of Grey. I can handle off-putting themes, I can handle unsympathetic characters. But I can't handle bad writing and in both cases, the writing was so execrable I simply couldn't hear anything else. I mean, 'the musky smell of clean Negroes'...I can't even.
    ...See More
  • User
    13 years ago

I really enjoyed "Room" and "Little Bee". "The Hymn of the Tiger Mother" (I'm not sure if that's the exact title) was interesting. I've read a few more good books lately and will add them tomorrow. (am watching the Oscars right now!) Oh - "Her Sister's Keeper" was really good too.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Bumble, you are not the last person to read that book, because I've never even heard of it!

As much as I like to read, I have a hard time finding the time. I'm doing good if I average a book a month anymore!

I did just get two new books, Now you see her by Joy Fielding and finally (it was on back order), the last lecture. I've read bits of it elsewhere and have seen the video, but have wanted to read the book and am finally at the point (since mom's death) that I feel like I can handle it.

As it will soon be time to start boating, I will hopefully be reading more.

tina

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I've suggested this before but I have to suggest it again.

Pretty Little Liars. It's a series of 9 books, written for mature teen girls, about 300 pages each. Except older women have gone nuts over them! lol.

I've gotten 6 women hooked on these books and they all want to kick my a$$ because of it! Like I said, 9 books total. lol.

Do NOT watch the TV series though, skip it all together.

I finished book 4 last night and have book 5 waiting for me.

Here's books 1 thru 4 on Amazon. These are definitely page turners.

If you buy book 1 you have to have book 2 ready to go or you won't find out a big secret which drives a lot of the book. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty Little Liars - books 1-4

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

I read a couple of Hannah Kristen novels this winter
    Fireflay Lane and A Winter Garden.
    Water for Elephants - Sarah Gruen (DD, DIL and I are going to have a movie outing when it comes out)

• dgranara
    13 years ago

The last time someone asked for book recommendations I mentioned Michelle Moran, whose historical fiction I love. Well, her new book is out - a fact-based fictional account of Madam Tussaud - and I just devoured it. Loved it. What a fascinating life she had. I didn't know much about Tussaud. Just the wax museum, really. She (barely) survived the French Revolution and was imprisioned during the Reign of Terror. If you're AT ALL interested in history, I'd suggest you read this book!

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

I just returned from a tropical vacation where I read three of Caroline Leavitt's books. Can't remember the names off hand, but they were all good. Keep in mind I'm talking beach reading, not big literature.

I also read The Stuff That Never Happened by Maddie Dawson. Loved it. I looked for other books by this author on my Kindle, didn't find anything, but will look elsewhere because I know Kindle doesn't have everything.

I did read the first Pretty Little Liars book and really liked it. I have a sample of the next one in the series saved on my Kindle.

DH is reading Cutting For Stone right now. He isn't a big fiction reader but he says it's a great book.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Sue, one of the big secrets is revealed early in book 2.

I woke up this morning and received an email from a friend who sent it during the night asking me if I have any guesses to who "A." is. She must have stayed up late reading her book! lol

And she had no desire to read them until she finally caved with her Kindle and now she's on book 4 within a week of beginning the series. :)

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

The Zookeepers Wife by Diane Ackerman - a fascinating WWII story taken from the diaries of Antonina Zabiniski

I See You Everywhere by Julia Glass - A story of sisters

I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lipman - chilling story of an adult woman being contacted by the man who kidnapped her at age 15

The Last Time I Was Me by Cathy Lamb - fun fluff with little redeeming value other than a fast read and a few laughs

• User
    13 years ago

I've been on an Elizabeth Berg kick lately. I just finished Joy School and The Art of Mending by Berg and enjoyed both. Also recently read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, A Yank Back to England, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and yesterday I downloaded a bit of Jane Austen onto my Kindle phone app.

So many books, so little time.

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

Oh, I loooove Elizabeth Berg. I've read everything she's written. I didn't quite love her last book as much (can't remember the name now) but in general, I do love her books.

dlm also reminded me that I like Julia Glass and Cathy Lamb, too.

• lefleur1
    13 years ago

Have any of you read the Maisie Dobbs series of books by Jacqueline Winspear? They are outstanding. The last one (the fourth) came out a year ago. She is even able to make her books real *page-turners* without gratuitous sex & violence!

• iread06
    13 years ago

Lefleur 1, The new Maisie Dobbs, A Lesson in Secrets, will be released on March 22. I can't wait.

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

I have a limited reading list. The Bible, Janet Evanovich, Debbie Macomber, Susan Wiggs, Joanne Fluke (tends to make me gain weight), Kathy Reichs, Alexander McCall Smith, Howard Garrett (TX native plants), Neal Sperry (TX gardening), Wasowaski (TX native plants and garden design, 10 zillion How To books including rock gardens,working with color,trellis, flower beds, plumbing, hypertufa,mosaic,paper mache and painting (house,furniture not pictures).
    I used to be a huge fan of murder mysteries but the death and violence was starting to get to me. I read Kathy Reichs now and again for the forensic science, but not all the time like I used to.

• hhireno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great, thanks! I did find a few new titles from your suggestions. I'm still hoping that Ann stops by with a list.

I did read at least one of the Maisie Dobbs series and, thanks to the reminder about them, I'll check for more.

Here's a cute story about books -
    I was skyping with my almost 4 yo niece and she was telling me about a book her parents have been reading to her. She holds it to the camera and I can read that the title is The Enormous Crocodile at the same time she's telling me the title is The Huge Alligator. tee, hee...so close! I checked it out of the library yesterday and when we skyped today she was very surprised to see that I had the book. She ran to get her copy and we compared the different covers. It's by Roald Dahl and it's a great story.

Her almost 2 yo brother sees her holding up her book so he runs off to get his favorite book and then holds it to the camera for me to see. I guess I need to get back to the library for Machines at Work & have a book club meeting with him next.

Keep the suggestions coming. I keep a list in my library book bag and it's nice to have lots of options.

• runninginplace
    13 years ago

Oh, my favorite topic! And hhireno, you really made my day. I am so glad to share book recommendations to hopefully help others discover them too. So, a few I've recently enjoyed:

Just finished Cutting for Stone for my book club. Ended up enjoying it very much, although it took quite awhile to get into the rather Dickensian pace.

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan - Loved, loved, loved this book. It deservedly made quite a few Best of lists last year. A tour de force with chapters that feature a cast of interlocking characters moving back and forth in time. You have to read carefully because someone may pop up, surprisingly, later on in a completely different yet subtly related context. Great book.

The Widower's Tale by Julia Glass - an vividly written protagonist and indeed the story was an interesting look at an entire family, not just the eponymous main character

Left Neglected by Lisa Genova - REALLY liked this one. About a high powered working mother whose life suddenly changes completely. Written by the same person who self-published Still ALice, a look at Alzheimers from the POV of a sufferer. The author is a neuroscientist so the books are grounded in very good biology and psychology.

Secrets of Eden - Chris Bohjalian is sort of a trickster author; there are often twists in the plot or characters you don't see coming and this book is no different. But as a light-ish read, pretty interesting. Kept me hooked all the way through.

Just started a most unlikely series that has me enthralled: historical mysteries set during Tudor England featuring a hunchbacked lawyer. The author, CJ Sansom, has PhD in history and it shows. The plots are intriguing but the author does an incredible job in the portrayal of the daily life in that period, among both the aristrocratic and lower classes in London and England. The first book is Dissolution, the second is Dark Fire. I'm on my third which is Sovereign. The author also interweaves a lot of the actual historical activity of the era into the stories. Really excellent reads.

A couple of memoirs:

Dead End Gene Pool - by Wendy Burden. Written by a descendant of the Vanderbilts, a funny and interesting look at life growing up in a family of Old Money. Tinged with sadness, as the author's father (the Vanderbilt) died a suicide when she was only 6 and her mother was, as in many memoirs, not a terrific parent. Burden spent lots of time with her paternal grandparents and the stories are pretty amazing.

I Remember Nothing, and other Reflections by Nora Ephron. In the same vein as the very funny I Feel Bad About My Neck, a series of short and breezy essays from a woman who has led quite an interesting life. This was a nice little filler read, good for dipping into for a few chapters at a time.

Let's Take the Long Way Home by Gail Caldwell - a lovely and very touching story of friendship between the author and Caroline Knapp, another writer who died far too young of cancer. Warning, it's sad.

And, that's probably enough book rambling for one post! Happy reading,

Ann

• bac717
    13 years ago

I love these book recommendation posts. So many good suggestions. Just wanted to also mention that I, too, am a HUGE Elizabeth Berg fan. I've seen her twice at two of the libraries in the area and I could listen to her read ALL DAY. She has a nice website with a blog that is a lot of fun to read, altho she writes on it only a few times a month. She has a new book coming out in next month.

• bac717
    13 years ago

Meant to say "She has a new book coming out next month." Not IN next month.

• ummm
    13 years ago

Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal by Conor Grennan. Non-fiction, but very easy to read. Last year, I said if you read just one non-fiction book, make it The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. This year, I'd say Little Princes.

Read Left Neglected by Lisa Genova and was very disappointed. Her first book Still Alice was much better (more emotional, this one was flat for me).

Not sure if you like young adults / dystopian type of books. If so, I'd list a few.

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

I loved both of Lisa Genova's books but I did love Still Alice a bit more. Side note: I used to be in a mothers' group with Lisa several years ago. I didn't know her well, but I remember people mentioning that she was writing a book or planning to write a book, and I thought "Oh yes, we all have grand plans when we're staying at home with our kids." Guess she showed me! She doesn't live nearby any more, I think she moved elsewhere in the state a few years back.

I really like Jodi Picoult too, although after a while her books have become formulaic. Still, I can't resist. I think she has a new book out this week. I met her once and acted like a star struck teenager. She was very kind!

• hhireno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My book club read, and universally loved, Still Alice. Shortly after we read it, Lisa Genova spoke at a local conference for Social Workers & Nursing Home administrators and we were able to attend her talk. She was such an interesting speaker explaining her background, how the brain works, and how she had to self-publish & promote the book.

A few weeks after that I was in the bookstore at the Zurich Airport, desperately searching for something in English. Much to my surprise, Still Alice was one of the few books available. I was happy for Ms. Genova (that the book was now being sold internationally) but sad for me because it further limited my choices for that long, boring flight home.

I really should consider a Kindle or a Nook, since I always run out of reading material, but I don't buy many books. Mostly just at the airport in desperation. I bought a book at the Savannah airport and they participate in the buy back for 1/2 the cost program. I'll be returning that book later this month.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Count me in as another Still Alice lover. In fact my entire book club loved it.

• dawnp
    13 years ago

I just read Saving CeCe Honeycutt- very good
    Another favorite I haven't seen mentioned on these posts-
    Snowflower and the Secret Fan - Excellent read!

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

I'm half way through reading Left Neglected, and enjoying it very much. The author really gets into the skin of the diseased person and narrates it as such, it's uncanny how she weaves the story.

I'm looking for books such as the Help, can't get this one out of my mind,
    I so enjoyed it. Ceecee Honeycutt was great.

• jennifer_in_kansas
    12 years ago

Bumblebeez,

Thanks for recommending Priceless by Robert Wittman. I just finished it last night and was really impressed. True Crime isn't something I would normally pick up but this read more like a mystery/action novel. I especially liked the section about Antiques Roadshow, an old favorite of mine.

I'm on the wait list at my local library for Major Pettigrew. I'm 84 in line for it. The list usually moves pretty quickly but lately it's been really slow.

I need to review this entire thread again to find some more good books.

Jennifer

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I'm glad you liked it, Jennifer. True Crime isn't something I read either but I picked this one up on a lark at the library for vacation.
    Wasn't that interesting about Antique Roadshow?!

• hhireno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad this post came back up. I'm going to add Priceless to my library list, if it isn't already on there.

My recent reads include:
    Birds without Wings by Louise de Bernieres - historical fiction about the people in a small village at the end of the Ottoman empire and the beginning of an independent country of Turkey. I enjoyed it except the chapters about the war and man's inhumanity to man. Those were hard to read. As they should be I guess. But why don't we (a collective, all humanity we) ever learn?

Emperor of All Maladies: A biography of cancer by Siddhartha Murkerjee - I had to return this to the library before I could finish it but I put myself back on the reserve list. At times it was a bit too detailed but I still find it interesting.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas - a young adult novel about 2 little boys during WWII. Certainly not a feel good story but I'm glad I read it.

The Lottery by Patricia Wood - a nice, gentle man with a low IQ wins the lottery and how people around him react. Everyone in my book club enjoyed it.

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen - it's this month's book club book. I just started this last night after hearing 2 book club people say they didn't bother to finish it.

What I'm looking for next is a funny book. Any suggestions?

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

I loved "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid"- Bill Bryson's memoir. Very funny!

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

Any Susan Isaacs book makes a funny read. Light weight mysteries with comic, but insightful, commentary on New York social class stratification. Her books are one day reads at the beach, so if you want something more demanding, these won't do. As Husbands Go was the last one I read. First sheer puff that I've been free to read in ages.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

After a friend suggested it, yesterday I ordered "Heaven is for Real..." from Amazon.

It has over 1,100 5-star ratings. True story and supposedly uplifting.

Below is the link.

Right now I'm finishing up a book on Queen Elizabeth I, about her life up to when she becomes Queen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heaven is for Real

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

I've just finished reading "Heaven is for Real" and really enjoyed it, as well.

For a very funny, touching and wonderfully written book, you might try "Red Sky at Morning". It's an older book, written in 1968 by Richard Bradford and is considered a perennial American classic. It takes place at the beginning of WWII, first in Mobile, Alabama and then in what is actually Taos, New Mexico back in the '40's. I've read it several times over the years and always laugh myself silly throughout it.
    If the title sounds familiar, you might have seen the movie version (years ago) starring Richard Thomas (John Boy Walton), Desi Arnez Jr., Richard Crenna and Catherine Burns. If you have any doubts, read the book reviews of it on Amazon.com . . . there are many very enthusiastic ones.

And, if you haven't read it already, "The Secret Life of Bees" is magical (and beautifully written). In my opinion, a lovely Summer's read.
    Lynn

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

Oh, and I just finished two (newly published) books while I was on vacation.

The first, "Good Stuff: A Reminiscence of My Father, Cary Grant". It was an ok book. No nasty little secrets, which is the kind of autobiography I prefer, but I found it to be a bit plodding, as well. This is really a book about just Jennifer's personal time with her father, who had retired from acting before she was born. Still, it reinforced my opinion of him as one of the classiest, nicest guys in show biz back then.
    On the other hand, "Lady Blue Eyes: My Life With Frank" by Barbara Sinatra was fantastic. Many great stories about one of the most fascinating, talented stars of our time (IMHO). Again, no nasty tales, just page after page of wonderful memories . . . along with many great photos. I couldn't put it down.
    Lynn

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

Oh, book lists-my favorite topic!

Hhireno, our book club read Freedom last year. Like yours, quite a few of our group didn't finish it. I did, and will withhold comment. But, I'd love to hear your feedback when you read it.

I've been loving summer reading so far. Have been plowing through tons of stuff, since life is much quieter at work and home these days. Here are a few suggestions:

This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper - very, very funny book about a guy and his dysfunctional family who are sitting shiva for their father. Doesn't sound like a humorous premise but this is one that literally made me LOL.

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole - a true modern classic, about one of the most hilarious misanthropes I've ever encountered. Check out the backstory on the author too, which is quite sad. However the book itself is another in my very small set of LOL-inducing reads.

The Miss Julia series by Ann B. Ross - these are what are known a cozy mysteries. The eponymous narrator is a Southern society lady, definitely steel magnolia material, who gets into hilarious scrapes all the while trying to maintain her dignity and Southern-society-lady standards. Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind is the first in the series, and I advise reading them in order as life for the characters moves along throughout the books. I just adore the Miss Julia books. They make me want to live right there next door to her in North Carolina.

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley - first in a new series, but you can read it as a stand alone too. Very funny book about a sleuth, Flavia de Luce, who is all of 11 years old. She lives with her eccentric father and sisters in a crumbling mansion in post WWII England and the author has created a totally unique voice in Flavia. There are two more books out now and I've enjoyed them all.

The First Husband by Laura Dave - I am not a chick lit fan, but based on the Amazon reviews decided to try this book and liked it very much. About a woman who is suddenly dumped, marries on the rebound and then (of course) complications ensue. Light as a feather but quite heartwarming and lots of cute moments and characters.

Those are all novels, some of the nonfiction I've enjoyed lately include:

Bossypants by Tina Fey - wasn't sure about this one but I loved it. Her voice is as real yet quirky as Liz Lemon, a very nice light read.

Blood, Bones and Butter, The Education of a Reluctant Chef by Gabrielle Hamilton - the author is not only a chef but a very good writer. Although I found myself a bit puzzled and annoyed by some of the way in which she told, or didn't tell, her story overall this was another book that gripped me.

The Dirty Life: A Memoir of Farming, Food and Love by Kristin Kimball. Green Acres if she was a Harvard grad and he was a proto-hippie with a dream of creating a sustainable food source that would provide everything a customer needs to eat well throughout the year. Great read, though it certainly confirmed that this lazy woman would NOT do well on a working farm, emphasis on 'working'.

Either on my shelf waiting or in my library queue, so these are preliminary recommendations:

Fire Season, Field Notes from a Wilderness Lookout by Phillip Connors - given this season's cataclysmic fires out west, this one caught my eye. Reviews are promising, hope it is as interesting as it sounds.

One Hundred Names for Love, A Stroke, A Marriage and the Language of Healing by Diane Ackerman - just started this one, and enjoying it so far. The author's husband, also a writer, suffered a devastating stroke. The book is about how Ms. Ackerman supported him through the healing process.

The Three Weissmans of Westport by Cathleen Schine - an elderly woman whose husband suddenly leaves her is joined by her daughters who also have romantic problems. Reviews on Amazon are mixed, haven't opened this one up yet.

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown - three sisters, named for Shakespearean characters, and their travails with each other. This one looks like a winner, I've been on the list waiting for it FOREVER.

OK, enough rambling about books. For now :).

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I'm doing better than I thought! Since end of February, when I first responded to this thread, I've read the two books I mentioned plus one more. I just ordered "Smokin Seventeen" by Janet Evonovich and "Quinn" by Iris Johansen. I hope to read those over the rest of the summer.

tina

• whitdobe
    12 years ago

A few weeks ago I picked up a book by Tim Dorsey. I have never laughed so hard in my life. I checked my library online and requested 8 more books he'd written.

His main character is a "bad guy". He actually murders people...buy only people who deserve it and he does it in the most imaginative ways! All of this takes place in Florida since the main character has a passion for the state.

Electric Barracuda was the first book I read. I've also read Nuclear Jellyfish, Gator a Go Go, and Atomic Lobster. Try one. Bet you can't read just one!

• amj0517
    12 years ago

I don't get to read nearly as much as I used to, but I read The Girls from Ames not too long ago and really liked it. It is a true story about a group of life-long girlfriends. I just made me think about the friends who I have who may not be physically near me, but I know they're always "there". Guys just wouldn't understand this one.

• deniseandspike
    12 years ago

If you have a Kindle and want to try out some different books, kbookcycle.com is a website where registered members list kindle books they have and you can borrow them for 2 weeks. It's permitted by amazon because you end up going to the amazon website to "loan" your electronic book out. While it's being borrowed you can't read it on your kindle. Not all publishers allow their books to be lent but I added all the books on my kindle that it would let me. Its a good quick fix if you want to try out new authors or new genres. It's free to list and borrow.

• hhireno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ooh, great, thanks for all the new info. I was able to add quite a few titles to my library list. Fortunately, my library does carry most of the titles and authors.

I am thinking about getting a Kindle or a Nook. It finally occurred to me (I'm sharp as a tack sometimes) that I can save it for travel so that I'm not buying every book I read (much to the dismay of the authors & publishers).

Does anyone read on an Ipad? How are they for books? They are much more expensive but don't they also do more things? Couldn't I leave my laptop at home & use the Ipad to read books & send emails? I am technically-challenged so I don't know which is the smarter & easier device for me.

• User
    12 years ago

I just returned from vacation where I also read a book called "The Girls" - but not the one mentioned above. This one is by Lori Lansens and is one of the best stories I have read in a long time. It's the (fictional) tale of the lives of conjoined twin girls, and it's so very well written that I never wanted it to end. I highly, highly recommend.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Girls

• kristinekr
    12 years ago

I also really enjoyed the Girls by Lori Lansens. Other books mentioned that I liked include: Weird sisters, Cutting for Stone, Room, Little Bee.

I am reading the Hunger Games series, a young adult futuristic trilogy, but enjoying that as a change of pace.

For psychological mysteries (that are not gory) I really like authors John Hart and Tana French. Friends and family have also really enjoyed these authors.

Most people have probably read it, but the Help is wonderful. I also like the author Lionel Shriver.

I am ordering Pretty Little Liars--I am in the mood for some light reading--thanks for the suggestion.

• whitdobe
    12 years ago

Earlier this month my DH went to China for a couple of weeks so we broke down and finally got him a Kindle. Well, it was more like I dragged him kicking and screaming into getting a Kindle. (No, I don't have one but I'd gotten one for my elderly mother and drilled her in how to use it so I knew pretty much all about them.)

My husband went from being a reluctant Kindle owner to an avid Kindle owner. He travels a LOT and he was always packing piles of paperbacks in his luggage. Sometimes he'd run out and wind up buying more paperbacks and carting them home. (One reason we quite literally have thousands of them.) He loved just having the Kindle to pack when going to China. He loved that he had 90 books loaded into it. (All but one of them free.) He's in Washington state now and didn't even look at packing paperbacks, just stuck his Kindle in his carryon.

As far as the ipad goes, yes it does a lot more than a Kindle does BUT, I wouldn't recommend it for reading for long periods of time. The display screen of a Kindle really does look like a printed page....a printed page taht you can adjust the text size. An ipad or any tablet thing like that will be backlit and while that might make it easier for you to read in a roomw ith no lights, it'll also tire your eyes more....just like reading a computer screen all day.

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

Ann - I was surprised to see Dirty Life on your list - interesting, wasn't it? I loved her 'voice' for the first 3/4 of the book but then something happened and she seemed to shift into 'let's get this done' mode!! Have you read And I Shall Have Some Peace There: trading in the fast lane for my own dirt road by Margaret Roach ?? I just started it (notice the trend in my reading, LOL!) and am enjoying it although I have a hunch/fear that it's going to turn into a promo for her blog :(

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Has anyone here read Anne LeClair? I found "Grace Point" in a hotel room and started reading it only because I had left the book I was reading in the last hotel room. Turns out, I loved it! Very suspenseful and very well-written. I have since read her book "The Lavender Hour" and have bought "The Law of Bound Hearts".

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

Dlm, I started And I Shall Have Some Peace but didn't finish it. Just did not care for the author's voice at all.

Right now I'm on our annual girls' getaway to Captiva so I'm finishing my first Doc Ford mystery. I ration them, only two per year and only to be read while in Captiva! I also brought Before I Go To Sleep which is supposed to be a good summer mystery read.