SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Kitty Litter

Oakley
12 years ago

I spent two hours on my knees today hand washing the tile in the utility room because of dust from kitty litter. Also my dogs drip water from their bowl, past the litter box where some of it spills, all the way to the kitchen. What a mess!

I have to dust the UR constantly. The dust comes from pouring it in the box, but now I'm going to do it outside. I'm sure some of it comes out when Lizzie is covering her business. :)

I use Fresh Step. I really like it, but it puts out so much dust!

What do you use?

Comments (31)

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

I use "The Worlds Best Kitty Litter". It could also be called "The World's Most Expensive Kitty Litter". But it really is worth it and it lasts much much longer than any other I've used. I buy the multiple cat formula even though I only have one cat. It has almost zero dust, clumps great and almost eliminates smell.

• kimberlyrkb
    12 years ago

This is a subject near and dear to my heart. NOT! Ugh. I hate cat litter. I have 5 cats currently and foster regularly. We have 8 litter boxes in our house, and four of them are in a room I use for an office and sewing. Everything is dusty all the time - I dust almost every day when I get home, as it is the only way I can stay on top of it. I agree that it's best to fill the boxes outside the house. What I have found to be least dusty, and that I otherwise approve of (smell, ease of cleaning, etc.), is Tidy Cat clumping litter.

I have tried every litter out there. Cats won't use Feline Pine. I can't stand the smell of World's Best. Store brands are super dusty. I could go on and on, but I will spare you. ;) Good luck!

• Related Discussions

How to clean kitty litter off of steps after it has rained

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks! You are so right, this stuff is definitely not good for icy steps! I tried for several hours scraping and wiping down the steps in the freezing cold while it was sleeting, I'm nothing if not tenacious, but this stuff is unreal. It grows and spreads and sticks to everything, I learned my lesson.
    ...See More

Space for the kitty litter

Q

Comments (1)
    For some reason the floor plan doesn't show in my thread.... so here.
    ...See More

Can we talk about kitty litter?

Q

Comments (30)
    As the owner of two cats, both prolific pee-ers (can't figure out correct spelling or perhaps not a real word), I was thrilled to discover Sustainably Yours Cat Litter with odor control. I used to use WBCL, but once I tried Sustainably Yours I switched and never looked back. It is more expensive per bag, but it goes so much further because it clumps so much "tighter". I know some people complain of their cats' tracking the litter away from the litter box and I had that problem too, but I just got extra large litter mats to put under my boxes and have found that, by the time my cats reach the end of the mats, the litter has mostly fallen off their paws. As an added bonus for all decor obsessed cat owners, the Sustainably Yours which is crystal white, is actually quite pretty in it's unsoiled state! BTW: I do find the "plus" formula much more satisfactory at odor control than the original formula.
    ...See More

.Kitty./.Litter.

Q

Comments (13)
    This is World's Best. She doesn't always do this but some days she goes crazy. The box has its own spot with nothing around it. Usually you know when she is going to use it because she runs around first. Then she uses it. Then she stands in the hallway yelling like she is being tortured until you go down and clean it. Then she inspects it and leaves. If there is someone around she will not rest until it has been cleaned. I don't know what she does if no one is home at that time.
    ...See More
  • jlj48
    12 years ago

My litter box is in my laundry room along with the dog and cat feeding dishes and beds. My litter box has a lid on it and is parked next to the toilet. I noticed a big difference when I simply turned it to have the opening face the wall. The cat can still get in it - she goes behind the toilet to get to it and I don't have to look at it. I have way less mess and now the dog isn't tempted to get into it either like she does on occasion. I use fresh step too.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Another World's Best user here. It is much less dusty. I used to use Fresh Step clay non-clumping litter, but it was too dusty and had to be changed ever week.

The largest WBCL bag probably lasts 6 weeks.

Another one you may want to try is Tidy Cats Small Spaces. That is also a clumping litter.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I bought Lizzie a litter box with a "wall" going around it. It's open at the top and has a little entry, and it really helps keep the litter inside the box.

BUT...even when I scoop the litter, I have to pull my shirt over my nose and mouth because so much dust comes out. That's how dusty Fresh Step is.

I used to use Tidy Cat all the time, and I can't remember why I changed brands. I also can't remember how much dust TC put out either.

Hoping others chime in on this topic.

Daisy, check out this Amazon link below. See the two up top with Prime Shipping? Are any of those the one you use? I get free S&H on Prime.

Here is a link that might be useful: WB Kitty Litter

• judithn
    12 years ago

Just remember, if you are using clumping litter --it is not for kittens! Kittens, esp. the young ones, will eat their litter sometimes and the clumping kind can clump in their stomachs and make them very sick. The best kind for kittens (only kind) is non clumping. We foster for the local animal rescue and if I have very young kittens I will actually use shredded newspaper instead of litter until they have grown past the eating of the litter stage.

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

I like the World's Finest in the lavender scent and the Tidy Cat with the Blue top. You cannot mix these, one is regular scoopable and one is ground corn. The World's Finest is the finest AFAIC. When it's getting to change out completely the granduals break down more to a powder.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

DS introduced DD2 and I to BREEZE Cat Litter System. We've converted others. Amazon auto shipments have the best price. Then Wal-mart. It's better than sliced bread. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Breeze

• jennifer_in_kansas
    12 years ago

Allison, did you cats have any trouble switching to Breeze?

• User
    12 years ago

This won't be popular but I like Walmart's brand, Special Kitty clumping litter best. If that's not available we normally use Tidy Cats, also clumping litter, in the red packaging. I think it's the 24 hr odor control or something like that, but I don't care for the smell.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i use tidy cat non clumping...

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shee, does Tidy Cat and the WM brand put out much dust?

• natal
    12 years ago

I tried World's Best on recommendations here. Couldn't stand the smell! Fortunately the bag was free, so I tossed the rest. Back to Tidy Cats.

• CaroleOH
    12 years ago

That Breeze system seems like it would be dust and tracking free. My cat has developed litter paws! He's old and has developed a habit of swiping water with his paws and then drinking from his paw. So his paw is wet and then he goes in his box and gets a climb of litter stuck to his paw.

This Breeze system might be a good thing for me to try....

• User
    12 years ago

Tidy Cat for Multiples was ruining our home office, where we keep the litter boxes. The dust from three boxes was horrid, so we decided to experiment with World's Best after reading reports that it is virtually dust-free. The reports are accurate. Now that we've switched, there's no way we'll go back to the dust-producing stuff. World's Best is not highly scented, so there can be more of a smell, but I never felt terribly comfortable with the highly perfumed stuff anyway, just thinking about what it must be doing to little cat respiratory systems.

The only issue we're having is that Pip, our 23 pounder, now poops occasionally right in front of the open box (we also have two that are covered). He seems to object to the new litter (although he pees in it), but picking up "floor turds" every so often is a small price to pay when compared to how hideously dusty the room was before.

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

I agree about the stink of the "World's Best" - it is hideous. I hardly had it in the house overnight before I tossed it and the remaining stuff in the bag. I can't imagine living with it!

Since there are some avid users, I wonder if there are some people who can't smell it, or perhaps being a corn product some batches smell worse than others? To me it smells (right out of the bag) like the odor of incipiently spoiling corn ensilage, a smell quite familiar to me here on the farm. Honestly, I prefer the smell of pee and diarrhea-y cat poop to W/B litter.

Anyway, I've got 10 indoor cats so as you might imagine litter is one of my preoccupations (cost, changing, cleaning boxes, dust, etc.) and I use Yesterday's News (as expensive as W/B, but not as stinky) and Tidy Cats Unscented.

I found Tidy Cats to be less dusty than Fresh Step, which was my previous choice.

BTW, I have some unused box codes from Fresh Step that I would gladly send to someone who can use them.

L.

• housewitch
    12 years ago

I use Ever Clean litter in the unscented variety, and am very happy with it. There is some dust when I'm pouring it into the pan, but I routinely do that outside in any case. Between the covered litter box and the rubber doormat under the box to catch stray litter from tracking, the mess is pretty minimal.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think I'll buy a bag of Tidy Cat. I now remember why I changed, the store was out of TC so I bought FS and really liked how it clumped and how pretty it is. lol. But the dust, oh my!

I'm surrounded by cattle and wheat fields so I don't want to add more of the smell to the house. :)

• natal
    12 years ago

World's Best is not highly scented, so there can be more of a smell

I wasn't talking about pee & poop smells, but the stinky litter itself. I can't believe you don't smell it with 6 boxes sitting side by side.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Cats did not have trouble switching. A few pellets do escape the box daily. Love the no dust aspect. Can't you see getting lung cancer from breathing it in, especially when changing?!

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

I wonder if the climate has something to do with the smell or no-smell of the World's Best? We live in a cool dry climate. It honestly doesn't smell. No one in our family can smell it and our neighbours use it too and say it is almost odourless. When you said it smells like rotting corn, I wonder if you are in a hot humid area and maybe it does rot in those conditions?

• natal
    12 years ago

I live in a hot, humid climate, but we have a/c so that would negate your argument. I have a feeling it's another case of some people smelling things others don't ... paperwhites (cat pee), boxwood (cat pee), cilantro (soap), etc.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Yes, I notice a difference with the WB in the summer. We are in the Carolinas and it can get very hot and humid. In general, we have one box that gets used the most, and it gets smellier and changed the most. But the less used boxes can last 6 weeks.

Someone from another board uses chicken feed which is very much like WB. THe cost is much less, but you have to be near an animal feed store.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

(you all are reminding me why didn't get another cat when the last one died)

• ummm
    12 years ago

We use World's Best as well with 3 cats. We also use the Omega Paw rollaway Litter Box - no scoping need!

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Paw-Self-Cleaning-Litter-Large/dp/B000LVGL1A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328672786&sr=8-2

You can watch a video demo here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySGsis-W10A

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

You may be right about the smell thing natal - love the smell of paper whites and cilantro (boxwoods don't grow here). I wonder if the smells are linked genetically? OMG!!! What a perfect idea for my DD's grade 8 science fair project! Now, how do I convince her it was her idea? She's just at that age that if I suggest it, she'll hate it. Hmmmm.

• User
    12 years ago

Hmm.. honestly it's been so long since I've had to clean the litter (DH is now) and we don't buy Tidy cats often.

I believe there was more dust than the Special Kitty but not liking the fragrance was something that sticks in my mind. It's not strong, strong like some brands. I'm to the point where I don't even like (or use) scented laundry detergent or fabric softer so take that into consideration.

• User
    12 years ago

I wasn't talking about pee & poop smells, but the stinky litter itself. I can't believe you don't smell it with 6 boxes sitting side by side.

I don't have 6 boxes, I have 3 - and they don't sit side by side. I don't smell "stinky litter", even if you can't believe it when I say I don't. ;-)

• 3katz4me
    12 years ago

I just picked up some Tidy Cat based on the commentary here - we'll see if it's less dusty than Fresh Step. It seemed better when I dumped it in the box but we'll see when I sift it.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm going to the store this morning and buying Tidy Cat, if they have it.

Gibby, if it wasn't dusty when you poured it in the box, I bet it won't be dusty when you sift it either.

I'm hoping Fresh Step improves their litter because I really like it.

• 3katz4me
    12 years ago

I do think the Tidy Cat is less dusty than Fresh Step - so far so good. Is it cheaper too? I think it might be.