SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoopysmom_gw

Baking weekend

hoopysmom
16 years ago

Two reasons to bake, company and the weather! It's cold and baking always makes the house so comfy and warm.

I baked oatmeal cookies with dried cranberries and snickerdoodles, which are my DH's favorites.

Walnut bread (thanks to Sol)

pumpkin pie (its a family favorite) and Italian Cream Cupcakes which is a new recipe to me.

The cupcake recipe is similar to Ann's Italian Cream Cake, but her recipe calls for pecans and this one uses hazelnuts. I happen to have hazelnuts left over from my holiday baking and decide to try it...boy and I glad I did, these are really good.

Italian Cream Cupcakes (Cuisine at Home)

Makes 2 dozen

Whisk Together:

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp table salt

Cream:

2 cups sugar

1-1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened (3 sticks)

6 eggs, separated (reserve whites)

2 tblsp Hazelnut syrup

1 cup buttermilk

Beat; fold in

Reserved egg whites

2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted

1 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned, chopped

Preheat oven to 325; line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper lines and coat with nonstick spray. Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl; set aside. Cream sugar butter in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment on medium speed until white and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition; mix in syrup and vanilla until incorporated. Mix ½ of the dry ingredients into butter mixture, followed by the buttermilk, then remaining dry ingredients; blend just until incorporated.

Beat egg whites to stiff peaks; fold into batter with coconut and hazelnuts. Fill liners to the top with batter and bake until toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool cupcakes in the pan for 20 minutes, transfer to rack, cool and frost.

Cream Cheese Icing

Makes 6-1/4 cups

Beat:

2 - pkgs 8oz cream cheese, softened

1-1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened (3 sticks)

3 tblsp hazelnut syrup

2 heavy cream

1 lb powdered sugar, sifted

Whip cream cheese and butter, add syrup and cream, powdered sugar.

Garnish with 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted

½ cup candied hazelnuts

Candied Hazelnuts

½ cup chopped hazelnuts, skinned

3 tblsp sugar

1 tblsp butter

Toast hazelnuts in nonstick skillet over medium heat until golden. Add sugar and butter; stir until butter is melted and sugar adheres to the nuts.

*I didnt add coconut to the cake batter (not everyone likes coconut)

** Only fill cupcakes ¾ full, the batter is light and fluffy and my bubbled over the pan.

***I only used 8oz cream cheese, 1 stick butter and ½ lb powdered sugar.

**** I didnt candy the hazelnuts, just added them plain.

-Lori

Comments (13)