SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19982892

Baking Day with the Girls - pics

User
15 years ago

This was our Christmas baking weekend with Sara. Sara and Meredith did most of the preparing while I watched the oven! We made enough to put together 8 boxes for Sara's various teachers, therapists etc.

Here is a pic of the two master bakers......

Tasting the work as they go.......

While I clean the kitchen.......

The finished products........

From left to right:

My Candy Cane Peppermint Bark

Sherry's Santa's Helpers

My Shortbread

Nancy's Rich Chocolate Cherry Cookies

Alexa's Eggnog Snickerdoodles.

Thanks for the recipes everyone. Sara managed quite well, Meredith was very good to let her do as much as she could without over assisting. It was a long day for Sara but she was thrilled with the results.

Comments (28)

• jojoco
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! The girls did a great job! It is so heartwarming to see how far Sara has come. She has inspired me to make today count (and kudos to Meredith to let her work her way through the challenge.)
    Jo

• caliloo
    15 years ago

OUTSTANDING!

I bet you are so proud of both the girls and it looks like they had a great time. The results look fantastic - I would love to have those to nibble on with a hot cup of coffee.

Give them both a big hug - they did a great job!

Alexa

• Related Discussions

Bake Day.... Cream cheese babka and sourdough...........

Q

Comments (66)
    Debbie, it's in the 5th post down. AnnT says she used the Tarte au Sucre cake recipe for the dough and the cream cheese filling from the second recipe for the filling. AnnT is a marvelous cook and accomplished baker, I've never gone wrong with one of her recipes and I've been posting on the Cooking Forum for about 20 years along with her. Annie
    ...See More

Another Bake Day..... Pics

Q

Comments (20)
    Sorry, Moe would miss me. LOL! Deanna, that is just a picture in a Mexican cookbook. Makes a nice background. Rusty, I shaped the loaves like described in this pictorial. After the bread is slid on to the hot stone, I toss a few ice cubes on to the oven floor and I spray the loaves with water to or three times 3 to 4 minutes apart. Yesterday's bread was a sourdough and the dough had a long cold rise which also effects the crust. Ann
    ...See More

Bake Day..................Pic

Q

Comments (25)
    Marigene, I guess you are better at been "green" than me. I find that ziplocks/baggies works best for me when it comes to drizzling. I tend to use the squeeze bottle though for things like chocolate or caramel sauce. Then I just store the extra in the fridge. In the unlikely event that there is any leftover icing it just gets tossed out along with the bag. Tricia, I debated using one of the vanilla beans that Diana sent me, but didn't think black speckled icing would look as nice. The vanilla bean powder is a good idea. I had a big slice of Danish with my morning coffee. My favourite kind of breakfast. Ann
    ...See More

pic of the 25 pies I baked in new kitchen

Q

Comments (11)
    That is so cool! I am loving my new kitchen too. This year, for the first time, I did the easter egg cakes with no stress, no fuss and no tears! Yay. In my "kitchen that cleans itself" we dared to make home made marshmallow fondant. It was incredibly messy, but cleaned up in a flash. It was so wonderful kneading it on my new soapstone counters. So functional. Enjoy your pies, and your girls! they are so lucky to have this type of tradition to carry!
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    15 years ago

Those two are just beautiful, both of them, and I'll bet Meredith had as much fun as Sara did. I'll bet Sara is sure proud of her creations, too.

Good for Meredith, being so patient with Sara. Of course, she's your daughter, so I'm not surprised.

Merry Christmas to all of you. Now, could you just send me a couple of each?

Annie

• lindac
    15 years ago

Cute kids....now how about the recipes for each....

• coconut_nj
    15 years ago

The cookies all look great! Glad you all had such a good time making them together. The girls look like they needed that nap.. lol. I love that plate.

• User
    15 years ago

Sharon, you must have worked them hard. They are both exhausted.

How nice to see both Sara and Meredith again. The teachers are going to love their Christmas gift.

Ann

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Chase, I know those photos caputure moments that were a long time coming and hard fought and hard won. I know it must have been a very special day for you, I hope you're basking in the afterglow!
    Virtual hugs to all!

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

How cool is that! They are both beautiful girls, all the way from the inside out. The cookies look great, too. Those are going to be some lucky teachers.

Sally

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone, it was a special day.

Meredith is way ticked at me for posting a picture of her "on the net" in her sweatshirt and jammie bottoms, sans makeup.....what was I thinking! LOL

• craftyrn
    15 years ago

They just "shine" , Sharon. No matter what there'll always be the great memories of this special day. Thx for sharing those great pictures-- jammies & all !

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Beautiful girls making memories. Cookies look good, too.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here you go Linda and anyone else who may be interested.

Peppermint Bark - Sharon

1 Lb bittersweet chocolate (I use dark chocolate)
    8 Drops peppermint oil
    1 Lb chopped white chocolate
    3/4 Cup chopped candy canes

Line a 11 X 17 inch baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside

Melt bittersweet chocolate in a heavy pan over low heat, stirring constantly. Stir in 4 drops of peppermint oil. Spread evenly over pan and chill for about 1 hour. Melt white chocolate in a heavy pot over low heat, stirring constantly.

Stir in remaining 4 drops of peppermint oil and then add in candy cane.

Spread white chocolate over chilled dark chocolate, spreading to the egde of the pan. Chill 4 hours.
    Refrigerate just until just before serving then break into pieces. Will keep in the fridge for 3 weeks ( yeah right!!! LOL)

NOTES:
    I use the microwave to melt the chocolate, way easier.

You must use peppermint oil. Peppermint extract will seize the chocolate

I use my meat malette to break the candy canes. Put them in a plastic bag and gently tap them so they break into little pieces but aren't crushed.

Santa's Helpers - Sherry
    Cookie:
    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup brown sugar
    Add 1 egg
    1 tsp. vanilla
    Beat until smooth

Add:
    2 cup flour
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    Beat until smooth
    Topping:
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup sour cream
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    Stir until smooth and then add:
    1 cup chopped walnuts

Divide dough into quarters. Form each quarter into 6 balls. Place 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. With finger, make a wide deep depression in each cookie, clear to the edge. Fill with topping. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, (or in a convection oven, about 9 minutes)
    If you unde rcook these, the filling is so heavy that it will break through when you pick them up, so I make them crunchy. You could also not make the depression in them as deep and there would be more dough to suport the filling so that it did not break through. These are my family's favorite cookies, and we have never ever seen them anywhere else. (They were my secret weapon)
    Also, if I make a huge depression in them, I sometimes make half again as much filling so I don't run out.
    Makes 24 cookies

Rich Chocolate-Cherry Cookies - Nancy

Yields: About 3 dozen cookies
    Cook Time: 13 minutes per batch
    Total Time: 45 minutes plus cooling

1 package (8 ounces) semisweet-chocolate squares, coarsely chopped
    6 tablespoons margarine or butter, cut up
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 large eggs
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 package (6 ounces) semisweet-chocolate chips (1 cup)
    1 cup dried tart cherries

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In 3-quart saucepan, melt chocolate with margarine or butter over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove saucepan from heat and, with wire whisk, stir in sugar and vanilla until blended. Whisk in eggs, 1 at a time. With spoon, stir in flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Add chocolate chips and cherries, stir just until evenly mixed.
    2. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons, 1 1/2 inches apart, onto ungreased large cookie sheet. Bake 13 to 15 minutes, until tops of cookies are set. Let cookies remain on cookie sheet on wire rack 1 minute to cool slightly. With wide metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough. Store cookies in tightly covered container up to 2 weeks.

Nancy

Eggnog Snickerdoodles - Alexa

2 3/4c flour
    1 1/2c sugar
    1 c butter
    2 eggs
    2 tsp cream of tartar
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp nutmeg (optional, but it is better with a little)
    1/2 tsp brandy extract
    1/2 tsp rum extract

Sugar mix:
    1/4c sugar
    1 tsp nutmeg

Mix cookie ingredients. Shape into walnut sized balls. Roll in combined sugar mixture.
    Bake 8-10 minutes @ 375. Yields: 4 doz. (and I always double the recipe).

I sometimes even make a glaze from confectioners sugar and just a bit of egg nog (carton) to drizzle over the top.

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Chase both the girls looks excellent and so do the baked goods! Thanks for sharing.

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

Awwww, that's so sweet!

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Cute girls!! .... she shouldn't be upset since at that age you look beautiful even without makeup and in your jammies!!!

New to CF.... is Meredith the redhead and Sara the dark haired one??

Grace

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes Grace, Meredith is the redhead ( at least today ) and Sara is the dark haired girl. Meredith is my daughter and Sara is my niece. The background on this is is that Sara had a massive brain bleed a year ago September which left her paralyzed and unable to speak.

After two brain surgeries and much therapy she is able to walk and talk but that darn right arm and hand are still not listening to the brain. Hopefully with more therapies and time she will regain the use of her arm.

She is a trooper and a joy......

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Chase it is wonderful to see how well Sara is doing...I hope she progresses with the therapy..
    They are both beautiful, and the cookies look delicious.
    Have a blessed Christmas!

• woodie
    15 years ago

Hi Sharon, what great pictures! Just makes me tear up looking at Sara. What a wonderful time you must have had with them both.

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

I missed this post last night...What a fun day y'all had! Good to see the girls again...man, Sara has really "grown up" this past year...she looked like such a "little girl" from last years pics. The finally results look great and I love that platter Sharon. Hope you and Ms. Sara did some major damage to Dad's shopping budget on Sunday! Tell Meredith to chill...she's a looker even in her pjs! Hugs to all you gals and Merry Christmas!

David

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Chase I did not know the background on your niece. She looks wonderful! It sounds like she has been through quite a bit and I am sorry for that. High hopes for the continued therapy and use of her right arm.

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

You have every reason to be proud of those two young ladies. Both beauties, make up or not. And I swear Sara has grown like a weed. She looks so good after everything she has been through the past year.

• Tracey_OH
    15 years ago

Everything looks so good!!!!! The girls did a great job and it looks like they had fun doing it. I've already got two batches of your pepperming bark in the freezer. Everyone loves it!

Tracey

• maggie2094
    15 years ago

The girls are beautiful, Chase.

They couldn't take bad pics! Love the jammies!

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

What lovely girls and cookies! Sara and Meredith are beautiful!

I am thinking I need some of those snickerdoodles.

(I get scullery duty at my house after all of Alice's cookie making, too.)

• Solsthumper
    15 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous pastry elves!

Sol

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Oh, what a fun day you all had! The treats look delicious and the girls are just so darn gorgeous!

So happy to see Sara doing so well, too!

Linda

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Lovely photos of them both Sharon, and yes it's true that when girls are that age they look good with no makeup and even in pjs. But I know how maddening it is to be caught in candid shots as my dad always took photos of us kids when sleeping or otherwise not looking our best which didn't bother me until I was in my teens lol.

And yes Sara has really grown up a lot since the last photos. I sure hope that she will slowly regain the use of her right arm.
    She has done marvellously well so far with her rehab.

The cookies look great too!

SharonCb

• stacy3
    15 years ago

Hi Sharon, I had missed this (along with lots of other stuff, I guess!). Just did a search because I couldn't find my recipe for Sherry's Santa's Helpers and I HAVE to make those...:-)

I love seeing pics of the girls. They're both beautiful. (I love the one of them sleeping!)

Stacy