SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
changeling_gw

cleavers, the good, the bad, and whats yours.

changeling
16 years ago

I was answering a post below on woks and got to thinking that you guys never talk about "Cleavers". I absolutely don't know how I ever did without one in past years. Specifically I am talking about a Chinese cleaver.

I cook a lot of Chinese recipes (mostly stir fry and deep fry) and have come to highly respect the cooking objects these people have developed and used for thousands of years. There implements weren't someones overnight idea in marketing, they are things that have stood the test of time and not to be taken lightly.

However like everything else these days exploitation runs rampant in there culture as well as ours, though some think all cultures are pulling together very fast I just don't happen to be one who believes this is that true, but I really do believe we should look very hard at a lot of there cooking practices and methods!

In walks the cleaver, Chinese cleaver I should say, not one of those enormous suckers that could have reduced Jurassic Park residents to one dam big pile of "stir fry"!!

The Chinese cleaver is an absolute work of art. The back side can be used to tenderize any kind of meat in the wink of an eye, instead of paying double to have a butcher run it through a tenderizer and call it "cubed steak, actually it does it better because you control the way/extent you like it, not to mention being able to insert spices into the meat as you tenderize.

The end of the blade can be used for the same thing where close quarters on something is necessary an a lot of other things.

The blade end can/is used to reduce a batch of chicken parts to near equal size so they all cook correctly in the same length of time since they are of equal size.

Slice steaks of a piece of round/rump/eye of round/ whatever, flip them over, tenderize with the back end, flip the again do the other side, slice thinly and you have some first class stir fry in about a minute that is cheap and tender!

The list that this utensil is capable of is absolutely astonishing!!

I have owned several authentic Chinese cleavers, Wusthof (no make Chinese style), and several of the ones you see in stores like target, sears whatever that cater to shoppers whims.

I helped the hostess giving a dinner party I was invited to, she asked me to cut about a dozen chicken thighs (I hate thighs) in half and remove the skin. She handed me a cleaver, after I waked them in half, I knew I had found something special, not her, the cleaver, it just felt like it was a part of your hand and you could do anything.

It turned out to be made by a company called J.A. Henckels of Germany, I think this is the model #31718-200 (8")

I researched it and found that this German company had asked the Chinese community what they wanted in a "Chinese cleaver", the rest is basically history now it is the number #1 Chinese cleaver sold (quality) even to Asian chefs!!

I have one, and consider it and the Wusthof boning knife the two cutting/everything knives I have!! I absolutely could not function with the way/what I cook without them.

Changeling

PS. Do not get confused, a Chinese cleaver is just that!!!

There are lots of different kinds of cleavers.

Comments (22)