SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buckheadhillbilly_gw

Mythreesonsnc - re: retaining walls

buckheadhillbilly
13 years ago

Mythreesonsnc,

I've been meaning to respond to your question about retaining walls. So glad you found the previous photos helpful. I've uploaded a few more pictures so I can show you what I think we are going to do.

This big curved wall in the back yard...

We will do somewhat like this:

Except that we will do brick columns and not change the size when we go up. Also we will do a brick cap on the wall and do the area in between the columns with mortar wash, very much like Allison did on hers (thanks, Allison!). Oh, and we will only do columns at each end of the wall and at each end of the curve (four columns in all). The fencing will just have the metal posts in between the columns. We will plant some fig vine on the wall and hope that it will be completely green someday.

This wall we will face with the same brick as the foundation of the house and terminate the wall with a brick column.

On the opposide side of the driveway, we will face the inside face of the wall with brick and then mortar wash this outside section with a brick cap. We will need some serious plantings to make this wall "disappear."

Happily in in Atlanta, it doesn't take long for a wall to look like this:

Hope that helps!

Comments (18)