SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
salem1772

HELP! We've been Skunked

salem1772
11 years ago

A skunk must have hit our dogs this morning close to the house. The house reeks and the dogs aren't too sweet either. At 5:30 am the house was fine, I put the dogs outside. At 6:00 am the odor was quite noticeable, and when I let the dogs back in, BINGO. I barricaded them in the kitchen (it was raining and I didn't have the heart to put them back outside) and investigated solutions. I threw out the dog beds they'd sat in, and I washed both dogs in a hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, Dawn solution which helped some. My DH took the damp crated Poodle to the groomer and returned home complaining of his truck smelling now. I boiled vinegar on the stove, DH baked a loaf of cinnamon bread, I opened windows and ran the attic fan, I put bowls of vinegar in each room of the house.
I mopped the kitchen floor with Odoban. I sprayed Odoban into the air throughout the house many times. I washed down the shower and sprayed it with Odoban. I walked outside around the house looking for evidence of a skunk and found nothing. The basement smells like it always does (not great, but not skunk either). Somehow the smell gets worse with the furnace running --- DH put a new filter in.

Still, the smell persists!!

I plan to rebathe the corgi. And will continue with opening windows and running the attic fan (but it is cold outside!).

Any other solutions that will work?

I must say, this is a terrible smell. Very bothersome. But I would still rank cat urine higher on the scale of offensive odors. Still, I want my house back. I'd appreciate your help.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH