SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
infohound_gw

House Settling - When to mend - When to worry

infohound
21 years ago

I've done a search and hope this is not a repeat. We have been in our newly built home for about 3 months. We built on red clay during a major hot humid drought. As soon as we moved in we have had rain every week and temps dropping to the teens. And snow 3 times. Which is not normal for my area.

Now I know all houses settle throughout their lives but this is what I have took note of.

I've noticed some crown molding separating. (enough to be noticeable)

My bathroom door sticks when you shut it. It was lightly sanded the first time to correct this. Now it's sticking again. (Could it be from bathroom moisture?)There are doors on either side. Both are fine.

The most major thing I have noticed is that one section of my kitchen counter literally separated. (I'm guessing 1/8 of an inch. maybe more.)Caulked over immediately to prevent water dripping back there.

We keep a close eye on the foundation. Everything seems to look great. except the back steps have separated from the foundation itself (enough to be noticeable). But I figured this is because the weight of the house on the foundation and none on the steps.?.

My question I guess would be: is this normal and should I be in hand with a caulk-gun for the first year? And when should you worry?

Comments (17)