SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Developing lactose intolerance later in life...

Sueb20
12 years ago

I'm 47 and have never had any food intolerances or allergies, except that sometimes I have noticed (for years, not just recently) some stomach upset whenever I happen to have ice cream and soda (anything carbonated) within a certain span of time. No big deal, but maybe a precursor to what's going on now? Starting around mid-December I have been feeling bloated, gassy, etc., pretty consistently. I mentioned it to my dr. at my physical about 10 days ago and she sent me right away for an ultrasound because of my family history of ovarian cancer. Everything was fine there. Her next best guess was lactose intolerance. Seemed out of the blue to me, until I realized that the stomach issues started around the same we got a Nespresso coffee maker and I started having two lattes every morning! I always had regular milk in my coffee, but maybe a total of 1/4 cup for two cups of coffee, and the lattes are more like a cup for two cups of coffee. I don't drink much milk otherwise, but just in the coffee I quadrupled my milk intake for the day!?

Dr's advice was to avoid dairy for 2-3 weeks and see what happens. Well, for about a week I did avoid almost all dairy (almond milk in my coffee...eh, it's OK). Then last night I made lasagna with quite a lot of cheese, totally not even thinking. Well, the results were ugly and I won't get into TMI but it was a long night. So that certainly seems to help make the case for a dairy problem, but I had the exact same lasagna maybe 2 months ago and it caused no problem (that I can recall). Can you become that lactose intolerant so abruptly? Or maybe what seemed like a reaction to the lasagna was unrelated. I did have a stomach bug over the weekend.

Anyway, anyone else diagnosed with lactose intolerant at, uh, middle age? (It pains me to use such terms.) This is annoying, but I guess of all the medical issues I could have, it's pretty mild!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor