SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
martinca_gw

Are you a pro on your iPad?

Got mine for Xmas and LOVE it. I can't say I love writing with it , tho.

Feel like I should add a p.s. after most posts : please forgive my iPad errors. I don't want to bother with an attachable keyboard. Mostly, I wish it could read my touch better. I need a teeny-Tiny pointy pinkie. I'm leaving that capital T as an example. No idea how/why that got there. There is so much I don't know how to do yet. Other than messing about with it, is there one best thing or site that helped you learn?

Comments (31)

• golddust
    12 years ago

I dream about having an iPad. I'm typing this message on my teeny tiny iPhone. Lol

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

I was a Blackberry user for years. Switched to Iphone 4S and never looked back. Love it so much I bought a MacBook Pro to replace my current aging desktop. I looked at iPads, too, before getting the MBP. Thinking I'd use the iPad in place of a laptop and just update to another desktop. But typing trials on it in stores was bad. I'm a pretty fast typist on a standard keyboard, but the iPad's virtual keys really threw me for a loop. Maybe a stylus would help? You won't be typing as fast but it could still end up a big time saver in the end due to less error correction.

There is definitely a learning curve for anyone new to Apple products (like me). I've found MacRumors is a really good site for learning. Here is the link to their iPad forums. 90% of questions I've come across I find an answer to in their forums. Or Apple's forums (I linked to their iPad forum, one is "Using an iPad".

• Related Discussions

'Why your kitchen wants its own iPad'

Q

Comments (30)
    Yes, there are innumerable PDF readers for ipad. I prefer goodreader myself, but there are dozens to choose from. Not sure what you mean by "not compatible with adobe". You can't run any desktop program on any tablet (from any maker) because they use a different operating system, but Adobe has quite a number of programs for ipad, including ones that let you use the ipad to control the desktop version of PS. iPads don't do Flash, but that's not much of an issue anymore. For large commercial sites that still have flash content on their web pages there's often an app you can download that lets you view their content on the ipad.
    ...See More

iPad Pro without cellular data. Options?

Q

Comments (10)
    I tried tethering the phone to the iPad and it seemed to work fine. jrb, there are 3 of us sharing a 3 gb data plan. We have occasionally gotten to the end of the month and had to shut down all data usage to prevent going over. I don't know what affect using my phone as a hotspot would have on that. I suppose I could try it for a while and see. I think I got my first iPad 5 or 6 years ago. I work out of town 3-4 months a year. When I got my first iPad, I was staying with an elderly family friend who did not have any sort of internet access. The cellular data plan on my iPad was absolutely necessary. Now, when I work out of town, I stay with my daughter and her husband who are well connected - in the tech sense. The place where I work has wifi. The place where I stay has wifi. I am leaning more and more toward keeping the iPad I have. I have 90 days to see if it works for me. If I find out after that that it doesn't, either DH or DD will get getting a new iPad and I'll be buying one with cellular data capability.
    ...See More

New iPad Pro ios11

Q

Comments (2)
    It does not... yet. It only has the one camera. The larger iPhones can do this as they have the dual cameras on the back (see the wide oval camera area compared to just the round circle in single cameras). Knowing Apple, it will be on the next iteration or two. They would not want you to be able to buy the perfect device now and not have a reason to buy the next idevice. Instead, like everyone else, each new model gets a few of the upgrades to keep you coming back for more.
    ...See More

Does it make any difference where you buy an iPad?

Q

Comments (62)
    Dedtired- how do you like your new iPad so far? The 10.5" is intriguing but I wonder if it's more than I need so I was curious what you thought. I like the keyboard/cover too. I know how you feel about the mental exhaustion - this week I've been researching cell phones but when I discovered that Verizon will give me $200 additional off an iPad I figured I'd upgrade that too and give my 9.7" to my DDIL. She's pregnant with her first and may find the iPad handier than her big Macbook. As I mentioned in my other thread my son gave me an iWatch a month ago that's still in the box. So I envision moving into my local Apple store while I take their classes - luckily I have 2 Apple stores within 8 miles so I can spread my ignorance around a little. lol
    ...See More
  • les917
    12 years ago

I got an iPad for Christmas from DH and our two DS's(both Apple lovers). Really enjoy it, but LOVE having the case with the built-in bluetooth keyboard. Makes typing a breeze. Also allows the iPad to be angled and upright, more like using a laptop.

Here is the keyboard case I have. Older DS, our real Apple geek, said he researched and liked this the best for the protection as well as features:

zagg folio

We are crossword puzzle lovers, so it travels with us when we go out to dinner.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

I just started using the one DH got me for Chanukah/Christmas a few weeks ago. So far I love it! It's my first experience using an Apple product (if you don't count the old Apple II GS's I used in computer classes during grad school!), and I totally get why people like the user-friendliness of Apple products (I'm more familiar with hp/Microsoft products, and still haven't figured out how to do over 1/2 the stuff my hp laptop can do, over a year after getting it).

Because I still haven't figured out how to do certain things on my iPad 2, and I haven't synced up mine to my laptop yet, haven't gotten certain apps yet (e.g. one for documents, like Pages), and our printer is not air-print enabled (?), I'm still relying on my laptop to do many things (that I might turn over to my iPad at some point).

Mine is a WiFi + 3G version, and the portability factor is huge! Love that. Wouldn't mind if it was the same size/shape, but lighter (even a little thinner would be a bonus, but not a necessity), but it's certainly quite fine as is.

I took mine with me to the gym the other day--checking email, catching up on a few GW threads (!), and reading a book I'd downloaded the week before while riding the stationary bike--priceless! Once I learn how to do even more of the stuff it's capable of doing, I know I'll enjoy having it even more than I do now.

Of course, when I finally get an iPhone (synced to my iPad, of course!), there'll be no stopping me! :-)

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Go to Amazon and buy a Stylus for the iPad. Mine came in a pkg. of three pretty colors, they look like ink pens, and have a soft rubber tip to use istead of your finger. It's great! Under $10 for a pkg. of three. I keep one in the LR and bedroom. :) No more finger tips getting in the way! Easier to type with too.

iPads are the best invention ever, outside the PC. If I have to type a long email, I use my PC. But I use the iPad for surfing the net, checking mail, and playing Angry Birds.

Oh.my.gosh. I am so addicted to Ab's!! I now have both their App's, and haven't conquered either, but that's the fun of it, there are so many levels, and you're not timed, which makes it better.

Anyone else here play AB? My favorite is the Season's edition, and the Space edition comes out in March!

• joanie_b
    12 years ago

I've learned (and I'm still learning) a lot on iPad Forum - a totally different forum than the one linked above and not affiliated with Apple.
    It's a very active forum with wonderful, specific sub-forums addressing just about anything you'd want to learn about the iPad.
    The General Discussions forum is the most active and ,imo, the most interesting.

If you have a WiFi printer, you can print from your iPad, just look for an app from the manufacturer - works great and is easy too.

A lot of magazines have iPad subscriptions and are pretty much my preferred mode of reading now.
    It's fun to read an interactive magazine - Martha Stewart Living is especially gorgeous and engaging on the iPad.

I enjoy together time with the hubby but despise his choice of TV viewing (Ax Men, Gold Rush, Swamp People and the like - ARGH!) so I'll hang out and watch streaming Netflix or shows on PBS.
    The sound is excellent, imo, with Apple ear buds.

I also travel quite a bit (for fun) on long distance Amtrak trains and there's nothing more enjoyable than reclining my seat and stretching out to watch a movie I rented on iTunes while the world passes by my window.

Both Nook and Kindle have free iPad apps eliminating the need for another gadget.

Here are a couple of fun threads on the iPad Forum - more fun if you read on a computer and keep the iPad handy so you can try things out as you read them.

Tips and Tricks for those of us who don't know

iOS5 Tips and Tricks

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

I haven't synced up mine to my laptop yet, haven't gotten certain apps yet (e.g. one for documents, like Pages), and our printer is not air-print enabled (?)

Wonder if you can just add your iPad to your home network and then add your regular printer & print via the network? That's how I did my MacBook. My printer isn't an 'air printer' either, it's an older Epson photo printer. Had to download updates from Apple first, then install my printer drivers on the MBP and go from there. (I'm guessing the iPad will do that?)

I did link to Apple's forum but also MacRumors, which is not Apple's, they are just about all things Mac.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I also use a keyboard/case combo like Les. I like the Ipad up and prefer using the keyboard.

tina

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Les and Tina, are you all using your iPad instead of a laptop or PC?

I do have a laptop but rarely use it. The PC is for major typing, downloading pic's,etc.

What I like about not having a keyboard is I can lay in any position and goof off with it. lol.

I have the iPad cover from Apple, where it shuts down when you put the flap down, and starts up when the flap is open. It's hooked onto the iPad by a magnet. Pretty pricey though.

So, none of you play Angry Birds? Just to give you an idea how much fun this game is, over 500,000,000 AB apps have been downloade so far.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I don't use a pc at all at home anymore, although do still have one. Anything I can do on there - I can do on the laptop. I got an Ipad through work - although is is mine - I mainly use it at work. Of course, I have a PC there. The ipad I use more for places away from my office, meetings, etc. or just out and about. I don't use my ipad at home that much. I tend to use my nook more, it does the same things. But you can download, etc. on the ipad. I do keep alot of pics there. I'm not using the ipad/nook/laptop laying down, etc. sometimes reclined in bed or the sunroom, patio, etc. But then I'm reading/surfing. I love the keyboard.

No, no angry birds. I'm not much into games.

tina

• denali2007
    12 years ago

I love my Ipad too, and agree that typing on it is difficult. I keep in touch with my grandchildren on it. We i message and take videos to send to each other. My 9 year old GD has taught me plenty about the ipad. There is also a great book called
    My iPad 2 third Edition by Gary Rosenzweig that is very helpful. Did you go to one of the Apple classes they have for it?

There is also an iPad Users guide you can download to it.

• isitdoneyet
    12 years ago

I'm really excited about the new Photoshop for iPad. It looks like soon we can all be experts. The best part is its only $9.95

The link takes you to a small demo of the product it's available for download in the App Store. (I'm in no way affiliated with Adobe.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Adobe Photoshop for iPad

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

I'm not too sure about our printer--it's been quite temperamental about printing from one or another of our laptops. Sometimes it'll print without a hitch for days, even weeks, and then it won't without resetting the router, uninstalling and re-installing the printer on the laptop..... I don't know that I'd trust it work reliably with my iPad but it's worth a try.

I guess I'm in the minority re: the touchscreen keyboard. I actually find it to be easier to use than expected. We purchased an Apple wireless keyboard when we got the iPad, but I haven't taken it out of the box yet. When I start using the iPad to create documents or the like (when I get an app for that!), I will probably use the keyboard for those longer typing sessions. For emails and most of my posts on GW, the built-in keyboard has been fine so far.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Cat, do you use a stylus? It made all the difference for me as far as being precise when touching things on the iPad.

This is how hooked I am. I now keep a little night light next to my bed. I turn it on and play on the iPad during the night if I can't sleep.

First thing I do in the morning is charge it up. It comes out of the bedroom when I wake up. LOL

• sovra
    12 years ago

I have an iPad, but don't use it for everything. I find that for me, it's good for passive consumption of media--websites, ebooks, videos, apps, etc. For real creation, though, I need a larger screen, a real keyboard, and more functionality. I don't see myself using an iPad for writing or doing real work. At least not as they are right now-- they're just too limited.

• rosesstink
    12 years ago

I had to cut my fingernails really short when I got my iPad. I was forever hitting the wrong keys. That was in September. Since then I have become more proficient on the touchpad and now my nails are long again. ;-) I still can't use a smart phone with the nails though. That's okay - I have a dumb phone. The auto spelling correct thing is good sometimes and annoying other times.

I think the iPad cover is well worth the price. Puts it to sleep and protects the screen.

I'm going check out the forums listed above. There's always something new to learn!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

I got a stylus when we bought the iPad, but so far, haven't needed to use that yet either. If I get a note-taking or drawing app, I suppose I'll find it handy, but not for typing. I don't use the correct fingers for typing anyway, so I guess that helps! LOL

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh yea! Lots of great sounding sites for help....thanks everyone. Now off to research. :>)

• kiki_thinking
    12 years ago

Isitdoneyet, I am also very excited about adobe photoshop!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

The thing I like about the stylus is when using the tip, it doesn't cover anything being hidden under your finger. Nor do you have to enlarge the page to tap an icon with your forefinger.

Do you all use those plastic type covers for the screen? I'm getting ready to put my second one on it. I can't believe how dirty and oily it gets. That's another good investment, I don't think they cost much.

A bit off topic. I have a laptop in almost new condition, that's ten years old.

Is it worth anything if I tried to sell it? I know it's not set up for wi-fi.

I'd like to get rid of it.

• maddielee
    12 years ago

I did use a screen cover for my iPad for awhile. Stopped using one about 6 months ago.

My screen is still like new.

The screen cover seemed to get dirty faster then the unprotected screen.

We (dh, myself, visiting little kids) use my iPad a lot....no scratches or marring of any kind. I keep a microfiber cloth nearby, to quickly clean off fingerprints.

ML

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Maddie - that's the same thing I noticed with my Iphone. I don't care for the protective covers and don't use them on either. My iphone is over a year old and no scratches whatsoever. None on the ipad either. I agree you do have to clean the screen more often, but I'd rather do that than use the covers. Not really a fan of a stylus either for some reason - but I am a good/fast typist so it's probably what someone is used to.

Oakley - I wouldn't think a laptop that old would be worth much. If it were me, I'd rather donate it if you could find someone who could use it. How about giving it to your grandson? We have donated old computers/monitors, etc. to both our church and our local library in the past. At least it's put to good use and you can get a receipt for a tax deduction (not much LOL).

tina

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

I don't have a plastic film on mine, didn't want it. I did get the smart cover in leather.

My battery seemed to be running down quickly. It would be at 100% when I went to bed and when I checked it the next morning it would be down into the 90's and then around 90 later in the day, and that was without using it or waking it up except to check the battery readout. As per some forums, I ran the battery down to 2% and then let it charge to 100% , leaving it on the charger for another 20-30 min after that. Seems to run down less quickly.

I make sure to close all apps when finished using mine for awhile, and have taken to putting it into sleep mode using the button just before closing the smart cover. Wanted to see what an optimized situation would do for battery life. I will probably also try closing the cover without hitting the sleep/on/off button and see if there's any difference.

Still think battery should last longer; doesn't seem like it will last 10 hours as advertised, but I haven't tried using it or having it "on" for that long to really know.

• greenthumbfish
    12 years ago

I'm really excited about the new Photoshop for iPad. It looks like soon we can all be experts. The best part is its only $9.95

No, no you can't. That's like saying "now we have webmd.com, we can all be doctors. And it's free!"

Good grief!

• isitdoneyet
    12 years ago

Good grief? Insulting much?

• Oakley
    12 years ago

That's a pretty bad comparison, Green.

Tina, I'm a super fast typist too, but like I said, when using a stylus (It depends on the type of stylus you use), your hand doesn't hide what's under it, and you can be precise when hittig an icon. Using a finger, even the skinniest finger, makes it harder.

Cat, I never push a button to put mine to sleep. I just close the smart cover. Sometimes I don't even close apps.

I think battery life depends on how you use the pad. Like if you watch a TV show with the sound turned up would probably zap it faster.

I keep my sound off uness I'm watching a video or playing a game.

• denali2007
    12 years ago

isitdoneyet

Thanks for the link to photoshop.

• lee676
    12 years ago

New 3rd-gen iPad now has dictation, so you can talk to it instead of typing on the glass, and it will transcribe your words. Not the full-fledged Siri as on the iPhone 4S that answers your spoken questions, but probably based on the same technology.

• cathrugg
    12 years ago

catmom---I don't have an iPad but I do have an iPhone and an HP tablet.

My husband works in IT and gave me some helpful info as I was draining my batteries too even though I wasn't doing a lot.

I changed my email settings to manual so the internet doesn't "search" for new messages every 15 minutes and push them to the device. I also turned down the brightness setting to about half, I don't need it as bright as the factory default. I shut off the maps setting and only turn it on when I need it so it's not constantly updating my location.

Those are 3 things off the top of my head and I can honestly say it's made a huge difference in my battery life. Even though I wasn't "using" them all the time, they were still updating based on my settings.

If I think of the other things he told me, I'll be back!

Hope this helps!

• joanie_b
    12 years ago

It's not Siri but, if you have the Google App, there's 'Voice Search' that has worked perfectly for me every time.

Voice search is also available on Google's home page, just click on the microphone icon and speak.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google for iPad

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

cathrugg--my DH is in IT as well. He helped to some degree with set-up, but not all that much. Not only doesn't/hasn't he used Apple devices, he has been super, super busy lately, so I've been figuring out a lot of this on my own (some trial and error, some via internet queries and searches).

I might have email set to manual already, have to check. My Push notifications might be on though, so that might override the ability to set email settings?

Brightness set to auto, I believe (automatically dims in lower light situations).

Have to check maps setting. I have iPad locator "on", but I think my other locator settings are off.

Running down the battery, and then fully charging it (leaving it on the charger an add'l 20-30 min past reaching 100%), helped a great deal. Now if it's 100% when I go to bed, it's either still 100% when I get up, or it's only down 1% or 2%. It also stopped dropping by 10% or more by the afternoon when it's sitting unused all day. Made a big difference.

I'll take a look at the things you mentioned and report back!

I really am enjoying mine. Would love to have the 4G of the newly unveiled iPad (I'm spoiled with the speed of our home Wi-Fi, so using my iPad on 3G when I have to, does seem a little slow to me at times). When I get a 4G phone and use that as my "hot spot" though, it shouldn't really matter.

Not sure how much diff the A5X chip/quad core processor will make vs the A5 chip in the iPad 2, though the demo at the big unveiling yesterday supposedly showed a big diff in speed.

Would love to compare the screen resolutions (iPad 2 vs new iPad) side-by-side, to see how visible the difference really is to my eyes.

Would not be happy with the increase in weight and thickness, so all in all, I don't feel too bad about getting an iPad 2 instead of waiting for the new one. Mine's 32 GB, which won't be available in the iPad 2 with the release of the new one, so I guess mine will be a collector's item soon! LOL