SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbntn74

Should I be concerned???

12 years ago

I posted recently about still not having a roof, doors, or windows. I think it was two weeks ago that we were told by our project manager that they would be installing the shingles on the next dry day. As of last Wednesday the shingles still hadn't been delivered. We called last Thursday and our GC said that our roof would be installed over the weekend, or Monday at the latest, and we would be all dried in by the time the rain came on Tuesday (today). So, we've known this rain was coming for at least a week. It was dry Friday, Sunday, and Monday (Saturday was light snow that melted that same day). I went by the house several times yesterday and NOBODY was there.

My husband called our GC and texted him but heard nothing back all day. Then he called our builder and told him what was going on and how frustrated he was. Our builder said he'd see what was going on and get back to us in the morning. GC called this morning and said he had left several messages with the roofer and finally heard from him and I guess the story is they just didn't show up when they said they would. Nothing we can do about it now as it's pouring and the forecast is for soaking rain tonight and tomorrow and then possible snow/rain mix over the weekend. Next week looks dry (as of right now).

My husband is beyond frustrated and has hired an independent inspector to keep an eye on things for us just as a precaution. He (along with another roofer we know and my uncle, who is in construction) has assured us that the board that is on the roof now will be fine. It's the same thing our GC and builder are telling us so I guess I believe that all that water sitting in my house is not going to be a problem but thought I'd ask the experts on here too. Should I be concerned about any of the framing rotting or getting mold? Is there anything I should be looking for or photographing to protect ourselves, like the standing water in the basement? I should probably add that this is not a builder who is in any financial trouble. He builds about 20 custom and semi-custom houses a year and was highly recommended to us by a commercial loan officer my husband knows. She has never had any issues with this particular builder. He was also just awarded a prestigious custom home builder award so I'm really not concerned about the company not paying subs or anything crazy like that. I'm just worried about the long term effects of all of this rain on my open house. So, any advice or reassurance is greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)