SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_914247112

Drywall bulge, should I be concerned?

HU-914247112
3 years ago

We’ve been in our house for eight years. When we first moved in there was a small bulge where two pieces of drywall met. The bulges have now come up in a few other different places throughout the house as well, some are pretty noticeable but I am hoping it’s just aesthetic. We also had a sticking door but I adjusted the hinges and shaved a little off the door a few years ago and it hasn’t been an issue since.

I had a gc in to have e a look but he seemed to think it was just poor drywall installatio. The bulges seems to be at butt joints and he believed it might just be a poor taping job. what I don’t understand is, if it is just poor drywall installation from when the house was built, why is the drywall bulging in new places (and getting worse in some areas)? I have noticed a couple of cracks one door upstairs and some brick at the front of my house is cracking on the exterior wall.

How do I determine what’s going on? if I start cutting open walls will I be able to see the issue? How do I check the foundation to see if that’s the issue? This is starting to worry me and I’d like to figure out what is going on so I can stop stressing!

Comments (10)