SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

social life - would this work?

daisychain01
10 years ago

As I age and have gone back to work, I've found my social life pretty much sucks. I've always relied on friends to include me and I guess I have such a winning personality that I've never lacked for things to do. However, I seem to be entering a new phase of life and social opportunities are different. I used to socialize a lot with the parents of my kids friends, neighbours and a few friends from school now I seem to avoid social opportunities. It's like I really want to socialize, but really don't. Maybe I'm mildly depressed, anti-social? It seems I'm sitting at a crossroads and I can either make an effort now or be relegated to the life of a hermit.

Anyways, a long time ago I read a magazine article about this family that would host a soup night (they'd make a large pot of hearty soup with bread) - I think it was the first Friday of every month or something like that. All their friends knew about it and would show up if they could make it. I've entertained the idea of doing this for years, but never took the leap. Do you think I should try it as a way of resuscitating my social life? Part of me really wants to, but part of me hates the idea. If I did it, I think I'd have to adjust the idea and invite groups of people for certain days. That is, I'd invite all the neighbours one night, all the parents of my kids friends another night, maybe work mates another.

Thoughts? Crazy? Maybe I should just crawl back into bed and pull the covers over my head. Who needs friends anyways.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida