SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sonopoly

Taco shells

sonopoly
13 years ago

With all this talk of Taco Bell and folks saying they make them at home, I was wondering what techniques you all have for making the taco shells. Do any of you buy the pre-formed ones? If so, what do you think of them. I don't eat a lot of fried food, so I'm a little afraid of making my own taco shells, because they are fried, aren't they?

Comments (31)

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

NO PREFORMED TACO SHELLS. Sorry, I'm adamant, but they simply don't taste as good as frying them yourself.

Yes, they are fried, but if the oil is heated properly, the shell itself absorbs very little of the oil. The other trick is in how many you eat, and since I rarely consume more than two, I don't consider this a life-killing fried food.

Forgive me, but I don't understand all the fear of fat/fried foods that seems to be going on here lately. I do believe in portion control and everything in moderation, and don't personally think frying a couple of corn tortillas is evil. A fried corn tortillas bumps blood sugar very little and is much less harmful than eating a...doughnut...or croissant. A little bit of fat is satisfying and (yes I dare say it) healthy.

I use my wok so I don't have to use so much oil, and usually fry my tortillas flat, simply because it's easier. I suppose that is technically a tostada instead of a taco. It's good! If I'm too lazy to fry a corn tortilla, I will heat the tortillas on the griddle (both sides) until soft, and make soft tacos.

The best corn chips are home-made. I'll cut half a dozen tortillas into wedges and make my own. That's also a portion control thing, and immensely more satisfying than eating a bag of chips from the grocery store. Warm and Fresh? Nothing wrong with that!

• Lars
    13 years ago

American taco shells are fried, but I have never had a fried taco in Mexico, where they are made with soft tortillas, generally two tortillas per taco. The fried taco was invented in California by Mr. Bell, the founder of Taco Bell. I believe he used a wire form to hold the tortilla in place while deep frying, and DB used to have one of those, although I never used it. You can more easily make a folded fried taco shell using tongs to hold half of a tortilla while frying the other half in about 1/2" of oil. When one side is crips, you turn the torilla to the other side and hold the cooked side with the tongs while you fry other half. At this point, you have to hold the torilla in the folded shape that you want to achieve.

You can buy pre-formed taco shells, but they tend to have a stale taste and are often broken. It is much better to fry your own shells, even though you have to make them one at a time. In Mexico, you will find tostadas, which are made from flat fried tortillas and are much easier to make and only slightly more difficult to eat. If I want something fried, I make a tostada - if I want a taco, I make it with soft tortillas. Taquitos (which you can find in Mexico) are corn tortillas that are rolled up with a small amount of filling and then deep fried. They differ from American tacos in that the filling is added before frying and they are rolled up instead of folded.

I saw an article on Taco Bell this morning on ABC that had something to do with "Where's the beef?"

Lars

• Related Discussions

How do you heat taco shells?

Q

Comments (5)
    If I have a crunchy taco - which is rare, I love to fry the tortilla in a pan on the stove. It's pretty much the ONLY thing I fry - try to stay away from fried foods. But this is soooooo good. I fry one side, then flip it over and bend it into taco shell shape with tongs and finish frying. Drain on paper towel then load it up. Yum Yum!
    ...See More

How to go about setting up a Nacho/Taco Bar for 20-25 people?

Q

Comments (15)
    I did a taco bar for my daughter's graduation party - it went over well and most of the food could be prepped in advance. Here's a couple of recipes for meat fillings for you - both can be done in advance. Becky * Exported from MasterCook * Kathy's Carnitas Recipe By : Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ -------------------------------- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast (3-4) -- cubed and trimmed of visible fat 1 can or bottle beer tequila (couple of turns around the pan) 5 garlic cloves 1 onion -- chunked 1 teaspoon ground cumin (1-2) 1 tablespoon brown sugar 2 limes (2-3) -- juiced cilantro springs chicken broth or boullion cubes Place meat, garlic and onions in large pot. Sprinkle with cumin and brown sugar. Add beer, tequila, lime juice. Add enough water to cover meat. Add one boullion cube for each cup of water. Or use chicken broth to cover meat. Simmer, covered, for 2 hours. Remove lid and increase heat to completely reduce liquid. Remove meat fron the pot and fry up in a large skillet. Source: "Kathy Boehm" - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - * Exported from MasterCook * Chicken Taco Filling Recipe By : Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ -------------------------------- 1 package taco seasoning mix (4 Tablespoons) 1 cup chicken broth 1 pound boned and skinned chicken breast halves Dissolve taco seasoning into chicken broth. Place chicken breasts in crockpot and pour chicken broth over. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. With two forks, shred the chicken meat into bite-sized pieces. Use in soft tacos, hard tacos, burritos, nachos, etc. To Freeze, place shredded meat into freezer bags with the juices. Press out all the air and seal. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    ...See More

How do I make taco 'shells' from flat tortillas?

Q

Comments (20)
    On ATK, they held one side of the tortilla with tongs and fried half of the tortilla, sort of in an "L" shape, with the upper part of the "L" held by tongs. Then when half of the tortilla was done, they would fold it gently and turn it over to fry the side that had been held out of the oil. I think they only used about 1/2 inch of oil. After draining, they put the shells in a 200° oven to keep warm. DB has a taco press, and so I've used that, but it requires more oil. Lars
    ...See More

RECIPE: Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos -- The Best!

Q

Comments (31)
    I use a really lean roast and cut off the fat before I make it. The beauty of this recipe is that you don't have to use the stove! I usually pour off a lot of the cooking liquid before I serve the beef. Rather than cook the meat before hand (which you could easily do), you could cook everything in the crockpot and refridgerate it over night and then skim off the solidified fat. Often do this just out of convenience. Good luck!
    ...See More
  • sonopoly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Claire. I guess I should get over my fear of fried foods, especially as you describe them. I'm happy that they absorb so little oil. I think my problem is portion control and moderation, which is kind of why I'm afraid of fats. I can eat a lot of healthy foods without much damage, but fat of course is the most caloric food product. I am pretty slim, but don't want to gain any weight. I guess I get this image of a dripping and saturated corn tortilla in my mind.

You have really helped me to get over my fear of frying my own tortillas. The soft taco idea sounds great as well.

Thanks again, Claire!

• sonopoly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is very interesting information, Lars. You've convinced me that the pre-formed ones are inferior. I guess when I was so worried about the fat content, I thought that the pre-formed ones were formed, yet dry, as opposed to dripping with oil. The idea of soft tacos is also becoming more appealing to me. I actually thought they were made with flour tortillas. Thanks for this additional information, Lars!

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

After my very slim, very active, who would ever imagine him to have heart disease DH, nearly died last year....fried foods are a thing of the past. We love Mexican food and fried taco shells were a frequent dinner. Now, I buy uncooked white corn shells in the refrigerated section and bake them over a rack I bought. The shells are crunchy and delicious. We love them. Our traditional tacos are now made with local ground bison (I've never used the packaged seasonings) or leftover chicken which I've always done, or I have been on a fish taco kick of late.
    I've linked to rack that is similar to what I use - it may be the same one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taco rack

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

Something that might be helpful to also consider, is frying something yourself means you know how it's prepared. I truly believe it's more satisfying to eat something with a little fat that is well/thoughtfully-made, than to eat something that is mediocre with no real idea of the preparation/ingredients. I hope your next taco is awesome!

Here's the next one for me...I can't wait.

Spicy Mexican Shredded Pork Tostadas (Tinga)

Serves 4 to 6. From Cook's Illustrated.

The trimmed pork should weigh about 1 1/2 pounds. Tinga is traditionally served on tostadas (crisp fried corn tortillas), but you can also use the meat in tacos and burritos or simply served over rice. Make sure to buy tortillas made only with corn, lime, and salt, "preservatives will compromise quality. Our winning brand of ready-made tostadas, Mission, is also an excellent choice. We prefer the complex flavor of chipotle powder, but two minced canned chipotle chiles can be used in its place. The pork can be prepared through step 1 and refrigerated in an airtight container for 2 days. The tostadas can be made up to a day in advance and stored in an airtight container.

Tinga
    2 pounds boneless pork butt , trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1-inch pieces
    2 medium onions , 1 quartered and 1 chopped fine
    5 medium garlic cloves , 3 peeled and smashed and 2 minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
    4 sprigs fresh thyme
    table salt

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1 (14.5-ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 tablespoon ground chipotle powder (see note)
    2 bay leaves

Tostadas
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    12 (6-inch) corn tortillas (see note)

table salt

Garnishes
    queso fresco or feta cheese
    fresh cilantro leaves
    sour cream
    Diced avocado
    Lime wedges

1. FOR THE TINGA: Bring pork, quartered onion, smashed garlic cloves, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 6 cups water to simmer in large saucepan over medium-high heat, skimming off any foam that rises to surface. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and cook until pork is tender, 75 to 90 minutes. Drain pork, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. Discard onion, garlic, and thyme. Return pork to saucepan and, using potato masher, mash until shredded into rough ½-inch pieces (see Step-by-Step below); set aside.

2. Heat olive oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add shredded pork, chopped onion, and oregano; cook, stirring often, until pork is well browned and crisp, 7 to 10 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

3. Stir in tomato sauce, chipotle powder, reserved pork cooking liquid, and bay leaves; simmer until almost all liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves and season with salt to taste.

4. TO FRY TOSTADAS: Heat vegetable oil in 8-inch heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat to 350 degrees. Using fork, poke center of each tortilla 3 or 4 times (to prevent puffing and allow for even cooking). Fry 1 at a time, holding metal potato masher in upright position on top of tortilla to keep it submerged (see photo below), until crisp and lightly browned, 45 to 60 seconds (no flipping is necessary). Drain on paper towel-lined plate and season with salt to taste. Repeat with remaining tortillas.

5. TO SERVE: Spoon small amount of shredded pork onto center of each tostada and serve, passing garnishes separately.

• sonopoly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow -- such interesting and different (though all good) information I'm getting. I'm so glad I asked this question. Actually, for quite a long time I've been entertaining the idea of making my own tacos, but the fried thing prevented it. With Claire's info, I would definitely be willing to try that, and I would also like to try the baked version that Magothyrivergirl described.

My boyfriend tends to have high cholesterol, so I am always aware of overly fatty foods. I think of tacos as being pretty healthy for the most part, but when I started thinking about the fried shells, it scared me off. Thanks for this valuable information, magothyrivergirl!

• sonopoly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You are so right, Claire about knowing what goes into what you are eating and how it is prepared. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. It sounds absolutely delicious!

One other thing that I hate about frying, is the amount of oil used and what do you do with it after? I mean I seriously hope all the oil isn't gone by the time I'm done frying and that there's quite a bit left after.

I have to confess, I do make fried spring rolls from time to time, because I just can't help myself!

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

Well, I just don't use that much. Not wanting to waste oil is also why I use my wok. The bowl shape of the wok puts most of the oil closer to the wider surface area where you need it, so there's less waste. (I use peanut oil and let it go to the trash when I'm done with it.) When you heat your oil, use a thermometer to make sure it's heated to 350 degrees so the oil will be hot enough to fry your tortillas without a lot of oil absorption. (We have a local place that consistently serves greasy chips because they don't understand the science of needing to use hot oil. I don't go there any more.) It's also why frying in smaller batches makes more sense, like when you're frying your own chips. You want to make sure you have enough recovery time for the oil to maintain consistent heat.

Forgive my unsolicited recipe sharing! This is my next one to Try, which I think is going to have to be as soon as this weekend. I'm pretty sure it's going to be good!

• loagiehoagie
    13 years ago

I use a small frying pan...5" or so. I add either olive oil or vegetable oil and heat to medium high. I put a corn tortilla in a hold it under the oil with tongs, flip and cook the other side. Pull it out with the tongs letting any excess oil drip back into the pan. They I put it between 2 napkins and bend it into a taco shell. I usually do 3 for myself.

Nacho chips are easy to do too. I cut them up with a pizza wheel cutter and spread them out on a cookie sheet. Spray with Pam and salt lightly. They come out crispy and warm right out of the oven...and you get a plate of nacho chips for under 10 cents! When I see bags of nacho chips in the store for $3.99 I think I went into the wrong business!

Duane

• sonopoly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Claire and Duane! Excellent information both of you. I got laid off a couple of years ago, so I've been looking for ways of making good meals inexpensively. Claire, you are so helpful. Your tips are invaluable. That recipe sounds wonderful, I don't know why you are apologizing for posting it.

Duane, as I said, I'm trying to make good food on the cheap, so this is excellent info! Yeah, I've caved in a bought the ridiculously priced bags of chips. This is just what I was looking for! What brands of tortillas do you buy? Do you buy in bulk? Thank you!

• loagiehoagie
    13 years ago

I buy my corn tortilla's at a mexican market nearby. I don't remember the brand name...something like El Milagro maybe?? I think there are 50 in a package and they cost $1.19 including tax. They went up in price last year by ten cents :-( Just over 2 cents a tortilla. Nice and fresh and a real bargain for good tasting shells and chips.

Sometimes I do buy crunchy shells...there is a Save-a-lot that has some off brand white corn shells for $1.00 for 12 that are really good. I love my taco's and eat a lot of them....especially in the summer when fresh tomatoes and peppers are coming in. Delicious!

Duane

• sonopoly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was brought up in California and after college, I moved to NYC, so I was spoiled with being able to find almost anything that I could think of. Now I live in Massachusetts and have a hard time finding a lot of stuff that I was used to finding, plus when I do find something it is a lot more expensive.

I'm thinking I pretty much have to resort to the grocery stores for tortillas. Please, anyone in Massachusetts, correct me if I'm wrong!!!! And point me in the right direction.....

• sonopoly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Also, since gas is expensive, point me to somewhere fairly close!!!

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

The recipe I gave you is from Cook's Illustrated; they are Yankees, and recommend Mission corn tortillas. (Check out the first paragraph in the recipe.) I'm speculating you can probably find those where you are since they were recommended. Good luck!

• lyndaluu2
    13 years ago

Never pre made!!!
    You must fry they yourself.

LOL

Linda

• sonopoly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Claire -- okay Mission, I'll remember that when I go shopping next. It does sound very familiar, so I'm sure I can find them. I really appreciate all your help!

Okay, the consensus in in NO pre-made!!!!

• User
    13 years ago

There is a big difference between Taco Bell style tacos and tacos made with homemade corn tortillas. Kind of like the difference between fresh peas and canned peas. LOL! I like them both, but they really are two different things.

Homemade corn tortillas are easy to make, once you get the hang of it. Fresh warm corn tortillas filled with pork carnitas, homemade salsa and a squirt of lime. So good!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade Corn Tortillas Pictorial

• sonopoly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Every single thing you make looks so delicious and so perfect, Ann! I did look into those tortilla making machines, but right now I can't afford anything new. I think I will try the taco thing, and then if I make them enough, I will look into investing in one of them when I can afford it. They do look so much more appealing than the store ones!

• partst
    13 years ago

It was tacos for dinner at our house tonight. I made tortillas and I still can't believe that it took me 65 years to know how to do this. I would never have tried making them if it hadn't been for Ann's pictorial. My DH always says to tell Ann thank you every time I make then so thank you Ann.

Claudia

• loagiehoagie
    13 years ago

Sonopoly, Mission tortilla's are good but they cost anywhere from $1.69-2.59 around here for 12. I get the fresher mexican brand as I mentioned for 1.19 for 50.

People on this forum are just the best and I haven't given back in awhile....so shoot me your home addy I'll send a package or two for you to try.

dukerdawg@aol.com

Duane

• loagiehoagie
    13 years ago

Okay, fine...offer retracted. You try to be nice and this is what happens. I'm not a pyscho...I have taken care of Nancy's doggie Roxie (Wizard..from Traverse City) and have sent cookbooks to Lars in CA. I just wanted to be nice and apparently the offer was ignored...whatever. I'm just a few dollars richer although I would have been happy to send a package. Sheeeeeeeeesh. Kinda upsets me a little.

Duane

• foodonastump
    13 years ago

huh?

• loagiehoagie
    13 years ago

Stumpy, see the post two above yours. I offered to send a package including corn tortilla's and it was ignored for all of yesterday and today. If you would have read a few threads up a "huh?" wouldn't and didn't make any sense.
    ..and if it happens again I will sick LindaC on you! LOL>......

• jojoco
    13 years ago

Gets a "huh?" from me too, Duker. People are busy on the weekends and might not check in as often as during the rest of the week. Don't be so quick to assume that Sonoply was snubbing you. We all know you've got a big heart.

• User
    13 years ago

Duane, I did read all of the posts and my reaction was the same as FOAS. You are way over reacting. You have no idea whether your offer was even seen. Not everyone comes back to read the follow-ups. Especially on weekends. If you really are sincere in your offer send a private email to Sonopoly. That is what I would have done in the first place. Not every act of kindness has to be public.

Ann

• shaun
    13 years ago

Duane, a very nice lady here offered to send me something a couple of weeks ago that she actually went out and bought specifically for me and I had to decline for reasons I didnt want to make public.

I felt so awful about it but I had no choice. So I found her email and wrote her explaining why I had to refuse her gracious offer.

She never even acknowledged my email. So I know she's hurt by my actions. But now I'm hurt by her not understanding my situation.

I see you are hurt too be not getting a response. But, give her time to see your post, she'll reply. Maybe she only has internet service at work or maybe she is without power.... you just never know.

• loagiehoagie
    13 years ago

Okay, I admit it. I overreacted. I guess I was just excited about doing something for someone and never hearing back I got my feelings hurt. I'm sorry if I upset anyone or made anyone scratch their head... And I can understand that some folks might be leery about giving any personal info out to a 'virtual' friend. I've met so many nice people over the internet in various forums..gardening, cooking, tomatoes, etc. that I forget there could be people that are more private about certain things. It's okay. I won't stop trying to make friends and yes I could be making up all this in my head and sonopoly is just away for the weekend!

....alright...back to your regular scheduled programming...

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Duane, we know you are a good guy and are always there to support us particularly when it comes to our pets. Your thoughtful words have certainly helped me. So, I agree that it might (maybe) be a timing issue; and if not, so what--you are still a CF friend.

• blueiris24
    13 years ago

Mago, I've never seen the taco rack before -- love it, think I'll have to add it to my "list"..... btw, my college-aged niece made us homemade enchiladas over the holidays, she made her own tortillas from masa, and it was amazing -- I've been inspired to try something new....

• wants_to_grow
    13 years ago

Greetings! Blistering a tortilla over a gas flame or in a cast iron skillet is another option to make a taco shell and it helps reduce extra calories from frying.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES