SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Have you ever done a YOLO?

neetsiepie
11 years ago

YOLO-You Only Live Once. I mean have you ever done something once in a lifetime, or ridiculously frivolous or foolish, that you're not ashamed you did? Some spontaneous act that is on your bucket list?

I have the chance to fulfill a dream-a ridiculous dream-but one I've had for 30 years. I have debated it internally, with friends, written down the pro's and con's and have tried to talk myself out of this-but I decided today that I am going to do it. And I am practically giddy with anticipation!

Everyone who knows me IRL knows I am a big fan of rock music. I travel to see my favorite bands. So I now have the opportunity for a meet & greet with my absolute favorite band. The cost is $600 (on top of the $150 I paid for my ticket!) so it's really quite a lot to pay for something so trivial-but it will mean so much to me. I kept telling myself I could use that money for a new camera or some new clothes-but this really is a YOLO opportunity-so I'm going for it. No regrets!

So have you ever done a YOLO?

Comments (32)

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I haven't yet, but in your case it seems unique and special, I encourage you to do it. It's a lot of money but not an amount to put you or your family in peril.

You have me thinking though as to what would be my YOLO ?

I better hurry up and come up with something !! I don't even have a bucket list.
    In my case it comes from being pretty lucky in life and having done a lot of trips, etc I'm content.

I'm anxious to hear what the others will say !! Great topic !!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Pesky, you know you are my rock-n-roll sister. I went 10 years ago this Feb to Australia to see KISS play with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. I was able to convince my friend to go with me, since both of us were single and we wanted to go to Australia. No regrets whatsoever! We started off in Melbourne for the show, then traveled to the Outback, and then traveled home from Sydney. We were gone for about two weeks, and prices were very reasonable. We had a lot of fun and met up with the Australian KISS fans. At the last minute we got word of a dress rehearsal the night before, and we were right down in front. We got spectacular photos.

So, who is it? DL?

This post was edited by gsciencechick on Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 20:13

• Related Discussions

have you ever done this

Q

Comments (10)
    You probably didn't plant the hosta upside down--you certainly would have noticed that at the time! A more likely scenario is that you have a neighborhood squirrel population, and one of them saw you planting the hostas, and decided to check to see if you had hidden a nut in the hole. In digging around for the nonexistent nut, the helpful little squirrel overturned the hosta, and having very minimal horticultural skills, simply left it that way. This is a routine occurence in my gardens, now that I no longer have a cat that will go up in the trees and chase down the squirrels. I find it prudent to water new plantings in thoroughly, then go back the next day to replant the ones the squirrels have upended. They don't ever eat the hosta, just toss is to one side or flip it over. As long as you get to the plant in a timely fashion and plant it again immediately, it is unlikely to suffer any damage. Sounds like your hosta may have sat upside down for a while, but if you soak it in water for a couple of hours, replant and keep it well watered, it should be fine.
    ...See More

Have you ever done an 'of the month' club?

Q

Comments (8)
    For many years I did a Harry and David fruit of the month club for my inlaws. It's expensive but the fruit is always pristine and packaged beautifully. They really enjoyed it. I posted a link to one of the more expensive packages but there are cheaper ones available. Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit of the Month club
    ...See More

Have you ever done this?

Q

Comments (2)
    Geraldine, I've done pretty much any kind of fiddling with stitches there is. It's amazing what you can hide if you work at it. Disclaimer - That doesn't apply to dead bodies!!
    ...See More

Have you ever seen a wall oven cabinet done as an accent piece?

Q

Comments (15)
    Yes, 2littlefishies kitchen is inspiring. The difference I see between what she did and what we're thinking of is that her oven cabinet picks up on the color of the cabinets next to it. For ours, the color would be a stand-alone hue next to wood cabinets. This seems...trickier. I'm hoping balancing it with a same colored hutch on the other side of the room would help. Looking at houzz for 2 tone kitchens was helpful. Thanks crl. Nice job on your kitchen, Otterkill. That was a really creative way to repurpose the desk area. : ) Ahh, Rhome's kitchen. Thanks for the reminder of hers, GreenDesigns. I like how her ovens blend with the cabinets adjacent to them. That's a good example of a multi color kitchen. Wow, cilantro, I didn't know Wolf had their own cabinets. Those are interesting. Some of those are quite fancy! I searched through David T. Smith kitchen images on Google as well as Smallbone and Plain English looking for inspiration. A lot of the images seem to be protected so that I couldn't put them in my photobucket, so I collected them into a Pinterest board instead, which I've linked below. There is one in particular that is a combo of maple, cream and green that comes close to the color combos I was thinking of doing. (I wish I could see the other side of the kitchen to know if there's a wall oven hiding over there.) David T. Smith's designs are interesting, too. But, many of them read somber and sometimes "dirty" to me, as can some of the primitive style decorating. (Prim is live and kickin' in our area.) I happen to like country, and it would be appropriate to our house and location, but I don't want our kitchen to read dark or dirty. With our kitchen facing north, I also don't want it to feel cavelike. DH's original suggestion was to a black oven cabinet to offset the weight of the black fridge, but...again, that might be too dark. Our cabs have some black lines to shade the shadow lines, so black looks incredible with them, though. The layout is included on the pinboard. If anyone wants to check it out and share more thoughts, I'd appreciate it. Thank you all for your input! Here is a link that might be useful: Pin board: Design around wall ovens, multi color kitchens
    ...See More
  • bestyears
    11 years ago

I've read that people on their deathbeds regret the things they DIDN'T do.... not too many regrets for things they did....

Go for it. Yes, it's a lot of money, but $600 isn't going to make or break your life....

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes GS, is is Lepp. I am totally fangirling right now. My DH thought I was nuts to go to Vegas again to see them-but I don't care since they're not touring this year-only doing the residency-I'm going.

I couldn't do this when they (and I) were young-i had kids too young, but as a middle class-middle age-empty nester, I'm all about fulfilling my dreams. My goal is to have no regrets the day I die!

What a great trip that must have been! I've met some of the neatest people on my rock concert adventures. Oh, and this trip I am hoping to fulfill another bucket list dream-own a Chihuly piece. There's a Chihuly store at the Bellagio-it might be just a paper weight-but I'll get me something!

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

Yes I did . . . three of them so far. One was more than a bit crazy, but quite memorable and I don't regret it. The other two were thrilling and everything I'd hoped they would be.

(1) I met a sweet, very mischievous and really funny guy in one of the trendy bars in Ft. Lauderdale back when I was living there in my single days. Turns out he was an incredibly world famous musician and singer in a rock band that everybody on the planet knew. I took a chance and he turned out to be a really nice guy. I had a fun and very memorable time with him, one that I'll never forget. It's something I'll definitely have to write about someday in my memoirs to shock my future generations (LOL).

(2) I loved with the movie, "Jurassic Park" when it first came out, especially the scene where the helicopter flies over the island, swooping down over the water, along the beaches, down into canyons and finally right up to the drop-dead gorgeous waterfall (the 360-ft high Manawaipuna Waterfall on Kauai) and then hovers in front of it while slowly dropping down to land. I'd never even been in a helicopter before, but I wanted to do that so much . . . although I could skip the man-eating dinosaur parts,(LOL)! On a whim while we were vacationing on Kauai, I hired a private copter for DH, myself and DS. Our pilot flew us all over Kauai, showing us much of that gorgeous island just like the copter in the movie did, and then he took us right up to the waterfall. That ride was every bit as breathtakingly beautiful and exciting as I'd hoped it would be. I'll remember it for the rest of my life.

(3) My dream career was, and still is, as a Marine Biologist. I think that I would have been very good doing research in several especially fascinating areas. I also love to scuba dive and snorkel and did quite a bit of it when I lived in Florida, as well as when vacationing in Hawaii and the Caribbean. My dream, from the time I was a small kid glued to the tv set watching Jacques Cousteau shows, was to go down in an oceanographic submarine somewhere in tropical waters. I never, ever thought I'd get the chance, though. But, when I unexpectedly got the opportunity while we were in Hawaii, I jumped at it. I took DS with me and it was truly incredible! I'm hoping someday I can do it again next someplace in the Caribbean (another YOLO).

Want to know another YOLO of mine? To spend a 4 -5 days in NYC, sometime right after Thanksgiving. I want to experience the town all decorated for the holidays, take a carriage ride, shop, see the Rockettes, go to see a Broadway show, etc. Someday I'm just going to get crazy and book that trip for DH & I . . . because that's probably the only way he'll go (LOL)!
    Lynn

• OllieJane
    11 years ago

Lynn, that last one to NYC during Christmas time, is what we are wanting to do!! Or should I say, my DS and I, my DH could care less about going to NYC, which is why we haven't been yet! However, I would have to drag hubby and son to a Broadway show! I only want to go during that time of year though.

For some reason, we always end up on the West coast, mainly Laguna Beach.

• anitamo
    11 years ago

To skydive! I almost went this October, but didn't happen. It will, though.
    Lynninnm...Curious to know who the musician was!
    Pesky...i'm happy for you.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Lynn, you are not allowed to tease like that! Does it have to be a big secret?

Pesky, who is the group you are going to see?

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lynn...if you won't spill, at least initials??? You're making us nuts!

It's Def Leppard. I've been a fan for nearly 30 years (OMG!) and they're still going strong.

• happyintexas
    11 years ago

Hmmmm....how did you know I'd been googling shiny red Mustang convertibles?

I don't have the cash to pull it off--YET, but I think a zippy little convertible is worth saving up for.

I've been to spring training and a World Series game for my favorite baseball team. That was pretty darn cool, too.

• golddust
    11 years ago

When Amee was in sixth grade, she began to feel sorry for herself because she (we) were poor. I was single and worked full time at a Non Profit but we existed only on my income. After our bills, there was very little left over. I was concerned that she felt like we were poor...

With my income tax return, I bought us tickets to Mexico. We flew into Guadalajara and hitch hiked from there to the coast where we caught a ferry to Baja. We camped on the beach before flying home from there. This was long before Mexico was a tourist trap. There were no high rises in Baja. Lots of poor families and children...

Aimee really saw what poor looked like and never mentioned our income bracket again. It was the best $800. I ever spent.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

lol, Pesky! Great inspirational thread!

• kitchenwitch
    11 years ago

I lost my husband suddenly less than 2 years ago, and now everything I do is a YOLO. Not necessarily bucket-list-style, but I just don't hesitate anymore. If someone invites me somewhere, I'll go. If I have a chance to do something new, I do it. I am living my life because you never know when it will be over, and my main philosophy is "why the heck not". I still have to go to work and clean the house and do all the mundane things I've always done, but now I do whatever feels right too. Back in September, I was looking on the website for Meet-Ups, where you can find different activity or social clubs. I was looking for a hiking or kayaking group, but I saw a group for Ukulele players, and they were having a picnic the next week in a local park. About 5 years ago, my husband & I were in Maui and we bought a Uke - he was the musician, not me, but he never really played it - he stuck with his guitar. So I thought, hey, I have a ukulele, and why the heck not? I went on the internet and figured out how to tune it, and I learned a few chords and I went to the picnic. I don't know how I had the nerve to do that, as I have never played any instrument before, but they were very welcoming and supportive, and I've met really nice people. Now I play my ukulele every day, just simple pop songs and I'm a rock star in my own house. I'm just starting to perform with the group in public. This is just one example of new stretches for me - I've accomplished so many other things just because I say to myself - if you could walk into that picnic, if you can learn a new song, if you can play for people, you can do this. And I can.

Pesky, an experience like that is worth every penny. Buy memories instead of stuff!

• hhireno
    11 years ago

The year I turned 30, I quit my job and spent 6 months traveling by myself through Europe. I had planned and saved money for about a year. My bff was suppose to go she backed out. I was disappointed by that but I didn't let it change my plans. She did meet up with me in Sicily for 2 weeks of the trip.

When I returned, I realized I still had money in the bank (this was before ATMs were everywhere & you could check your balance at midnight on any street corner) so I decided to go to Japan for 2 weeks, again alone.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Pesky ... You GO, girl!!!

• happyintexas
    11 years ago

Applause! Kitchenwitch, applause!!! I admire your courage, strength, and the sense of adventure in your post. I wish everyone had your 'why the heck not?' attitude.

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

Kitchenwitch, wow! That's inspiring!

I think my biggest YOLO so far was to quit my good job when I was 27 and move to Hawaii to be with my then boyfriend. We'd met right after college, dating briefly, didn't see each other for three years, met by chance again, then dated long distance for over a year (he in Maine, me in MD) before he got stationed in Hawaii. I knew in my heart he was "the one" but felt that the only way to know for sure was if we were living in the same location so we could have a real relationship. My father was not too pleased with me, but it was a leap of faith that paid off. We didn't live together, I moved in with complete strangers, had no friends initially except for dh, but that time together sealed it for both of us and he proposed just before getting stationed back on the mainland. At the time, I decided even if for some reason it didn't work out, I got to live in Hawaii! But fortunately, it did, and we've been married over 16 years.

A couple of other YOLO things:

Leaving all my friends behind to spend a semester of college in Italy. Traveled all over Europe while there because I knew I'd never have the same opportunity again. Been to Europe a couple of times since, but seeing it in such a carefree, unplanned, way was fun. Every weekend we hopped on an overnight train somewhere. I also got to meet my relatives in both Sicily and Sardinia.

Taking 3 weeks (after Hawaii) to travel across the US, taking a really indirect route so that we could see all kinds of interesting places all over the country. My favorite - hiking 10 miles in 100 degree heat down to Havasu Canyon, which is an offshoot of the Grand Canyon. We were not as prepared as we thought for the hike so it was difficult, but it's one of my all time favorite things I've done.

Skipping the typical beach honeymoon and instead traveling to Hong Kong and Bali - figured I might never have the chance to get to Asia again. It was an amazing honeymoon.

After having kids, I definitely have developed an awareness of my mortality which has caused me to have fears I never had (not strong, but there where I never had them before, mainly with heights). I try to live by the YOLO motto and live more in the moment with my kids. I used to ADORE roller coasters, but now, not so much. My son loves them so I've made a point that when we go to amusement parks, I go on every single scary ride he wants to, even when my nerves are shot. And afterward? I feel great! A couple of years ago, dd's class went on a field trip that ended at Busch Gardens. The most thrilling ride was where you are standing up with your legs dangling and the initial drop is ridiculous. My heart was in my throat just watching it. No way was I going on it. Dd didn't even want to. But then I thought, what the heck, I'm doing it. Her friends were so impressed LOL. I was the only chaperone that went on it!

This post was edited by fourkids4us on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 15:55

• 3katz4me
    11 years ago

I guess the closest thing that might fit in this category is that I bought myself a substantial diamond necklace and earrings - something rather extravagant for me. I got a bonus (which I would normally save/invest) and just decided this was something I wanted and went for it. A couple years ago we bought a nice (but used) convertible that we totally didn't need and only drive for a few months in the summer but that was more of a DH YOLO than mine. I enjoy it though.

I'm kind of in YOLO mode in general now. We're 55 and starting to see more people we know kicking the bucket around our age. That combined with being diagnosed with cancer last summer (that may or may not come back and may come back sooner or much later) has made me stop procrastinating on things I want to do and get going on them. My current mission is to get to the remaining states I haven't been to. Knocked off two last year and have two more planned for this year.

YOLO is a great concept - enjoy life now because there are no guarantees you'll have the time to do so later.

• Bothell
    11 years ago

Yes. At the age of 50 after being a "horseshow Mom" while my daughter was growing up I bought my own horse & started competing. I've had so much fun and made great friends and had an incredible bond with my horse. He is now retired from competition but I still ride him & he has a home for the rest of his life. I have been so blessed to have followed my passion and enjoyed it so much. Now I am looking for my next YOLO.

• mahatmacat1
    11 years ago

Moving to the PNW was a YOLO for me originally. I was an east coast girl so completely -- thought the west coast kind of didn't really exist, that anything really 'worth it' came from the east coast (or Hollywood, of course). Completely provincial. But when DH was hit on his bicycle, we decided, literally, that YOLO (I'm pretty sure we actually said it, word-for-word, of course) and we should not spend the rest of our lives somewhere where they hated what my husband stood for every single day. We decided to do the research, find out where the most cycling-friendly city in the country was, and gosh-darn it, we moved there. (At least it was back in 2001; the title trades around Portland/Eugene/other places in the PNW) Once we made the decision, everything fell into place, very oddly. I took a step that was for me as big as the guy jumping out into space, and never regretted it for a second. But I was with my love and I knew our life would be wonderful wherever it happened, and he would be so much happier and safer among those of his kind : ).

Anyone who knew me was shocked. But hey, YOLO.

• mahatmacat1
    11 years ago

OH, and pesky, please tell me that they're giving that money they're charging for people to meet them to a charity somewhere?

• polly929
    11 years ago

Great thread. My YOLO is really not much compared to some of yours, but when I was a freshman in college my best friend and I and our then boyfriends drove upstate NY, then hitchhiked our way to the Woodstock 94 music festival, then got drenched and dirty with mud,camped in a tent for 2 wet nights and somehow hitch hiked our way back to wherever our car was parked. Now in my late 30s this seems really stupid, but back then it was fun, and what did we have to lose- ok maybe a lot hitch hiking with strangers, but we were 19 and stupid, we thought we were safe with our boyfriends! BTW, I no longer speak to that best friend, but I did marry the boyfriend!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Uhm, no, generally the VIP meet and greets at rock concerts go to them. You do usually get a photo! However, some bands do donate a portion of the proceeds to charities such as Wounded Warriors Project. I know KISS does this.

I did buy a red convertible. Ever since I was about 5 I wanted a Mustang. I finished my PhD and didn't even get my first paycheck yet, and I brought her home! She is still with me.

• jab65
    11 years ago

Oh yes! Life is too short not have some YOLO moments.
    In the 60's DH was still in school and I a young teacher, but we saved our (literally) pennies and went to Europe for 58 days---renting a car and sleeping in a pup tent. I think we were in a hotel for 3 nights.

In the 70's we, and our young sons (3 & 5) moved to Singapore, where we lived for 2 1/2 years. Wonderful time of our lives.

I retired a year or 2 early so I could join my siblings on a 4 week trip to Europe--one each in France, England, Scotland, and Ireland--and research our Scottish roots.

A couple of years ago DH and I were to go to Israel. He backed out because he wasn't feeling too great and is asthmatic. So my dear friend (who is definitely a YOLO person) and I went and had a very special time.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

My YOLO would be to remake my entire life, but I don't know where to start. :(

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oooh! I'll take that pick up next to your cute little convertible!

I think that since I had this crossroads in my life last year, I have finally decided to stop listening to the voices in my head that told me to act a certain way and just go for it. I did a fantastic job of raising my kids, so now i can let my hair down and do the stuff I didn't do while they were young.

Really going out on a limb tonight, when DD and I went to dinner, I ordered a beer with my food. Usually ( order a soft drink. I think I'm really living it up! Hahaha.

I really, really want to swim with sharks, so that might be my next YOLO. Unless I totally wow the guys in the band and they ask me to come along on their next tour...well then, all bets are off. If you don't hear from me you'll know why!

• mahatmacat1
    11 years ago

Come on, DL, do the right thing and donate to Wounded Warriors Project! Pesky, maybe you could combine some activism with your YOLO? : )

And (((terriks))) Imagine you could start from anywhere...what would you want to do? Would art be involved?

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Hugs to terriks too.

I would like to learn to sew, which would be practical too if I could make slipcovers. I have a sewing machine my dad gave me, but it scares me :)

I also have been thinking of taking a pottery class and I know there are some a few miles from my house in sugarloaf. I must do this soon.

Bigger one would be to start a business.

There must be more, I have to get thinking and going!

It is inspiring reading this thread.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fly, I might ask them (I STILL can't believe I will be meeting them!!) about that. I know that they're involved with various philanthropic acts. The VIP packages are booked thru VIP Nation, so I'm sure they get a good cut.

Terri-just one YOLO gets that ball rolling. Did you decide to go hooping in Mexico?

• texanjana
    11 years ago

Pesky - Go for it!

I turned 50 in December, and am in YOLO mode too! My best friend and I are going on our dream trip to Turkey and Greece this fall. I am so excited!

I have also always wanted to go to NYC around Thanskgiving. I am thinking DD and I might do that after she finishes college.

I want to go to Pasadena and see the Rose Parade and see the floats - how they are made and all that.

I want to swim with the Whale Sharks in Mexico. I have already swum with sharks and Manta rays.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I've had a lot of great opportunities and experiences. Not all are things that could only be done "once in a lifetime" but I'd say that there are many things that just don't have the same impact the second time around.. or at another point in our lives.

I had the opportunity to live in South Africa as an exchange student in the very early 80s. I was on the eastern coast and watched dolphins in the ocean from my classroom window, hiked the drakensburg mountains, saw many different sides of the beautiful and pained country, and had afternoon tea with Alan Paton (author of Cry, The Beloved Country-- which was the reason I chose RSA as my host country). In many ways, I was far too young for such a great experience. I would like to return one day but it will never have the same impact. The country is changing and my world view has changed.

As a recent college grad, I received a full scholarship for a PhD program at a university in a very academically focused region of the country. I ended up dropping out of the program but the experience was incredible-- just living in an area with so very many interesting, intelligent and academically-focused folks was exhilarating. It was also a very self-indulgent phase of my life. Yes, there were great demands on my time as it was a highly competitive program -- but the luxury of a scholarship w/stipend allowed me to focus only on my studies and my outside interests. I was surely on a small budget lol.. but it was one of the happiest times of my life.

At that same time, I had a boyfriend whose family had a large cottage on an island in Lake Winnepausakee. Our bedroom window opened up to a beautiful view of Mount Washington. A simple experience-- but one that has stuck with me. We spent many weekends and breaks in that home-- where our days were planned around grand meals cooked in the simple, vintage kitchen. We percolated coffee on the stove, made scones, french bread and pasta from scratch, collected morels in the woods. I was blessed with many wonderful meals and memories.

There are a number of experiences I've had on trips that I surely COULD do again but probably won't. Mtnrd mentioned the SF Opera which is one of my favorite travel memories-- located in the high desert, the roof of the amphitheater was retracted to allow the starry blue night to serve as the backdrop and ceiling. I can't put into words how very breathtaking it was.

One that stands out for a number of reasons is being present when my youngest nephew was born. My BIL had just had back surgery and while he was in the room with my sister-- but he was in a hospital bed. I was to jump in and take over as birth partner. Truth is, I was a terrible birth partner. I was paralyzed as labor progressed-- and while she had a VERY short labor/delivery, it was horrifying for me to watch. Yeah, yeah, I know. It's a miracle.. and surely the birth of my nephew was extraordinary, but it was one of the most UNnatural things I've ever witnessed lol! The family joke is that my sis forgot the pain in seconds.. and it scarred me for life. :)

What's my next YOLO? Not sure. I plan to start a business in the next 5 yr. I'd like to travel to Sweden to meet my extended family. I'd like to do an extended language immersion/cooking trip. But here's the thing with YOLO's.. you don't always get to plan them well in advance, you never know what opportunities are around the corner. :)

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Oh I've had the time of my life, and I owe it all to you. Time changes life goes on, but memories last forever. Without a doubt, yes.

Pesky, don't let a money issue stop you! If you have to eat beans and wieners for a week, so be it! Life is short, and gets shorter with each birthday.

Lynn, was it Michael B? I had a friend years ago who spent a week with Michael when he was on tour and came thru our city. They tried to remain long distance friends, but 'real' life got in the way.