SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

Figuring out a better way...

claire_de_luna
13 years ago

...to change a recipe to make it easier!

I decided this weekend to make a recipe I'd be craving recently, and since no one else makes these it was up to me. After realizing it had been a couple of years since I'd made them, I realized part of the problem with it was the recipe was too free-hand; rewriting it with some definite measures/scoops might be helpful. Instead of using my dutch oven to make the filling, I used an extra large saute pan which seemed a stroke of brilliance. (WHY am I just now figuring this out???) The surface area was bigger, and the pan lower on top of the stove making it easier for my five feet to peer into. I've never had a lid that would fit the pan before, but realized my glass wok lid would probably work, and it did!

To cut the dough rounds for the filling, I went looking for something the right size which turned out to be a cereal bowl, even though it wasn't ideal. The discovery of an old glass cheese jar lid measured the right size, and with a handle to boot! My largest ice cream scoop was the size I needed for the filling, and putting a slice of cheese on the bottom (which ended up on the top) allowed it to melt thoroughly into the middle. My recipe made a dozen sandwiches, and with what was left over, I experimented with some appetizer sized versions using my largest biscuit cutter and smallest meatball sized scoop.

Another thing I finally realized is my dough needed to be a little more firm so I bumped the dough recipe with an extra cup of flour. Once the sandwiches were filled, I proofed them for about 45 minutes so the dough would rise.

I was so happy with the outcome, I think these were the best I've ever made! Have you ever tweaked a recipe that's an old favorite, and finally realized an outcome you've never had before? I've been making these things for 30 years, and am just now figuring it out!

(I'm intentionally not sharing the recipe because it's fiddly, and took five hours to make from beginning to end. That's something I might do once during a season, but it's labor intensive and most people won't bother with this many steps.)

Who else has made improvements to an old favorite? What have you done to change the outcome?

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida