SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Rooting/growing galangal

11 years ago

I went to Bangkok Market in Hollywood on Saturday and found some fresh galangal that I would like to try to root and grow. This site describes one method, and this site has a different method. I plan to grow it in pots for as long as possible, as I am afraid that my soild does not drain well enough, although ginger plants seem to be doing okay, as well as heliconia.

Anyway, has anyone successfully rooted galangal - or any other ginger for that matter, as I assume the methods would be the same. I have rooting compound that I bought for the orchid cactus that fell over in the last large wind storm and had some branches break off. I've rooted those before, and I really do not have room for more orchid cactus of the same variety.

I have the fresh galangal in the fridge, as the one site says to do, but I'm afraid it will get moldy before it makes roots. How should I store it to make it root?

At the market I also found frozen galagal and bought that for me to use in the kitchen. In addition, they had dried galangal, which you can buy from Amazon, and so I got some of that to test, as it was very inexpensive. In addition, I got a couple of jars of pickled galangal to try. There were so many interesting things at the store that I ended up spending over $100, and nothing was expensive; i.e. over $4.00. Most items cost around $1 or $2, and I got some Tom Yum chicken soup base that I have already tried, and it is very good. I think it will be better when I make Tom Yum from the fresh or frozen ingredients. They had a lot of exotic fruits in cans or dried, and I bought a few of those, since they will keep well. Now I need a larger kitchen, as I did not have room to store everything I bought at 99 Ranch, and that was a few weeks ago. I could not resist buying every type of dried mushroom they had because they were so cheap, and I love dried mushrooms. I may have to store some of the cans in the garage.

Lars

Comments (13)