SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

GE Cafe Gas Range- Optional 5' SS Backguard Yes or No?

susanlynn2012
14 years ago

GE Cafe Gas Range- Optional 5" SS Backguard Yes or No?

I already ordered the GE Cafe Gas Range, along with the backguard. Nothing is going to be delivered or installed until I give my approval of the GE circulating fan hood that is being delivered to the store. I was told I could change my order anytime up until the hood arrives.

Since I will not be doing a tile backsplash for maybe another year, I will only have painted drywall (I can always paint under the cabinets with a more glossy paint if this would help) behind the range. The gas range has the two simmer burners in the back and the two power burners in the front so maybe this will not matter?

So since I do not know what backsplash I am picking out and do not know if next year will be the year to remove the 20 year old almond laminate counters that have a 4" backguard going up along the wall under the kitchen cabinets, my friend had suggested to get the backguard so there will not be nothing behind the range. Now he is telling me I should wait and keep it off until I finish the renovation of my kitchen especially since I am not sure I may like the GE hood and then may go with the Broan range hood that was not a perfect match.

I have seen pictures with and without the 5" backguard and I find both pretty.

Those with the backguard, do you like it and are glad you bought it or wish you did not buy it? Those without the backguard, do you wish you bought it?

Those who do not have the GE Range but want to give input, that would be appreciative.

I could always tell the store to take the 5" backguard off the order and install the range and hood and let me think about it and see how it looks without it with that laminate going around the counters up 4" which may be there for another year until I have time and funds to do the rest of the kitchen.

By the way, I am getting the Gas Range for $1999 and maybe getting the backguard for $185 plus sales tax or taking it off the order since I am not sure what I am doing to the rest of the kitchen yet and I am still waiting for the hood to arrive at the store for my approval. I have a provided a link to see the range with and without the backguard that is in picture #4 on the GE Site. I wonder if the backguard is difficult to install if if I decide I need it later on?

My new dishwasher is a KitchenAid dishwasher and my refrigerator is an LG French Door refrigerator. All my appliances will end up being stainless steel but not a perfect match but each had features I liked a lot.

I am going to cross post this question to both the Kitchen Forum and the Appliance Forum. Thank you! I guess I want to love my home and each change I make causes me to feel proud of my place when visitors stop by.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of GE Cafe Gas Range with the Backguard

Comments (3)