SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solsthumper

Annie...

Solsthumper
16 years ago

...this heah recipe comes from Flo Braker. I adapted it, ever so slightly, and I talk about it below.

Aside from its taste and texture, what I love about this bread is how easy it is to prepare. You could forego the overnight rise, but I say, go for the whole megillah, it's definitely worth it. Serve it with salads, cheese and fruits; it's also excellent toasted for breakfast.

The Stepford Wife in me, couldn't leave this bread alone, so with pinky pointing skyward, I joyfully slashed the tops before baking.

Walnut Bread

2 teaspoons active dry yeast

pinch sugar

½ cup hot water (110°F)

2 tablespoons sugar

½ cup walnut oil

3 cups unbleached AP flour

1 tablespoon salt

2 cups whole wheat flour

1 cup walnut pieces, toasted

Cornmeal*

Kosher salt**

Sprinkle the yeast and pinch of sugar over the hot water in a bowl. Set aside for 15 minutes to proof.

Add the lukewarm water, sugar, oil and AP flour to the yeast mixture; mix until blended. Add the whole wheat flour and stir, then knead it in until smooth and elastic, 10-15 minutes (I do all of this in the KA, because I don't own a bread machine). Add the salt during the last few minutes of kneading.

Place the dough into an oiled bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise overnight at room temperature. Or cover and let rise 2 to 4 hours, or until doubled in bulk. But I seriously recommend the former.

Punch down dough. Working briefly, knead in the toasted walnuts until evenly distributed.

Grease a large baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal*

Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a round loaf. Sprinkle the tops with kosher salt. Cover loosely and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake the loaves for 45 minutes, or until they're a deep brown.

*I skipped the cornmeal. Instead, I placed the loaves on parchment and using a peel, I slid them onto a preheated baking stone.

**I omitted the sprinkle of kosher salt on top step.

Is anobody watching? Good. Just between you and me, I added the walnuts after the first kneadking. I did! Oooh, I'm such a bad a$$.

Sol

Comments (30)