SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Update on K with pancreatic cancer

2ajsmama
14 years ago

I've been putting my head in the sand on this (did try calling but got answering machine, found out she wasn't answering if she didn't feel up to it). I've been getting updates from K's sister, she is doing much better with chemo now, though still fatigued not as nauseated. May have blood transfusion to help with fatigue - says it really helped their mom when she was battling BC.

Anyway, K is a parapro at a school. This is from latest update, I just had to share with you the wonderful thing her coworkers are doing (besides the fundraisers they've already had).

"According to the contracts that the school teachers sign at the beginning of the school year, each teacher is allowed 19 sick days and they are allowed to "donate" any of their sick days to another teacher. The paras on the other hand have 19 sick days but they are not allowed to trade/donate their sick days.

One of K's colleagues decided to start a petition on which she acquired every signature of every employee at the school to ask the superintendent to make an exception or allowance so K could have sixty some odd sick days donated to her from the entire teachers staff at the school. This petition will be presented to the superintendent in a closed door meeting on January 19th. At that point they will decide if K will have access to the extra paid sick days donated to her by her loving colleagues.

K is just continually overwhelmed by the love and generosity of her co-workers. She said it was too bad that it took getting sick to realize all of their kindness. She always knew she worked with a wonderful group of people these past six years, but not to this extent."

Comments (4)