SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susytwo

More uses for ground beef

susytwo
15 years ago

We purchased a 1/4 cow for a song last year, and ended up with a lot of ground. It is excellent quality and extremely lean. I made a meatloaf this week and there was no grease in the pan whatsoever.

We really normally don't eat a lot of ground, so I'm wondering whether anyone has any interesting uses for it. I've already considered cabbage rolls, meatballs, meatloaf, lasagna, and bolognese, and stuffed peppers. Any other suggestions?

Comments (18)

• angelaid
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

sloppy joes
    tacos
    enchiladas
    hamburgers

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

my boys love beefy nachos.
    I fry up 1-2 lbs of ground beef (and grassfeed lean is the best!) Then seasoning it with taco seasoning. We really love Penzey's Chicken Taco Seasoning, but Lawry's is pretty good too.

Then I keep that in the fridge (or freezer~they love it as an after school snack so it doesn't last but a few days in the fridge)...Pour out some tortilla chips on a big pan, sprinkle the grnd beef over the chips, top with cheese and heat in the oven. Three boys take out a large jelly roll pan in "minutes"!

• Related Discussions

Do you grind your own ''ground beef''?

Q

Comments (19)
    I too grind my own beef with a Kitchenaid grinder attachment. I use chuck and put it through twice. I'm going to try doing it partially frozen now--that is a great idea. I also find that I can throw in some fresh parsley or whatever other herb and grind that right in too--when I lived in Morocco they would ask if you wanted a handful of herbs in your meat before they ground it, and it was delicious that way. I read Fast Food Nation a few years ago and in the descriptions of the slaughterhouses it sounded like most of the bacterial contamination of the meat is on the outside of the piece of meat from splashing (ick). So I think there is probably less contamination of the ground beef if you wash the whole piece and then grind it. In the store, it isn't getting washed, and so the bacteria on the outside gets ground into the ground beef.
    ...See More

Another ground beef recall

Q

Comments (20)
    If you are going for a particularly lean ground beef, then maybe look for a lean cut, top sirloin or flank etc, with little marbling, and trim it well. Sear, if you want to. Cut into chunks about 1'' big. If you're using the food processor, do small batches, like a layer 1 cube deep (rather than filling the processor bowl). Process in 1 second pulses, start with 10 pulses, adjust to get the consistency you want. I like my ground beef fairly chunky like hand-chopped meat, not mushy like a meat hummus. If using a grinder, then just send it through. I prefer the food processor. Maybe annie1992 has more information. E.g., her method of half-freezing the pieces is cool. Same process for making ground pork, turkey, chicken, by the way. Though I won't eat those raw even if I do grind them at home. If you make a really low fat ground beef, it may make for a dry chewy burger. Fat adds flavor and juiciness. You can replace that by mixing flavor and liquid into the meat. I usually add at least salt, pepper, and olive oil (melted butter when I'm being baaad). SWMBO likes her meat mixed with something like teriyaki sauce. If you're not a purist, you could get all experimental, mix in huckleberries or wasabi or weird stuff. Don't mash the meat when mixing, or making the patties, or cooking the patties. I don't like ground beef that's been compressed to cardboard or burgers squeezed dry. I like almost a loose, slightly crumbly burger , admittedly I use a skillet not a grill. Medium rare inside, brown and crusty outside. Yum.
    ...See More

ground beef?

Q

Comments (5)
    Short ribs have way too much sinue in them, that's why they have to cook forever before they soften up. Hamburger is usually made of meats with a much smaller sinue content in them like round and sirloin. That's why chuck is the lowest cost wise, more fat of course but still just a minimal amount of sinue. As for the ground, I would go with large, especially with the finer meats otherwise I'm guessing it would have a more gritty texture to it after it's cooked.
    ...See More

Ecoli in ground beef - recall- Walmart and others

Q

Comments (20)
    When I was in high school we toured a beer brewery. The smell about knocked me off my feet; 50 years later I still can't drink it. Belonging to a horse rescue group taught me more than I ever wanted to know about slaughterhouses. Horrible. We live now in an area where there are several large poultry processors. Every time I see a big truckload of chickens I feel so bad for them. But we have to eat. I do miss the days when we raised our own beef & pork, or bought 'on the hoof' and took them ourselves to a place. They lived good normal lives and only were there for a few hours waiting their turn. No place that will do that where we live now. :-(
    ...See More
  • Marigene
    15 years ago

I would definitely make Ann's Salisbury steak recipe!

Salisbury Steak In Mushroom And Green Peppercorn Sauce
    2 Pounds of ground Sirloin
    1 onion finely chopped
    2 cloves of garlic minced
    2 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    2 Teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce
    1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Sauce

1/2 small onion chopped
    1 garlic clove minced
    1 Tablespoon green peppercorns
    Fresh Mushrooms sliced
    2 Tablespoons Flour
    Broth 2 to 3 cups (Beef or chicken)
    Pan drippings plus 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter or oil.
    Saute onions in 2 Tablespoons of olive oil until tender but not
    browned. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. In a bowl combine ground sirloin, parsley, thyme, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper. Add onions and garlic and mix well. (I use my hands).
    Form into oval shaped patties. (I made 5 nice size ones from the 2 pounds, but you could make smaller if you prefer)
    Brown the patties in a heavy skillet in a little olive oil. You can also brown these in a grill pan.
    Remove the meat from the pan. Add a little more oil if needed and saute the onions, garlic and mushrooms. Sprinkle with a little flour, cook for a couple of minutes and add the broth and the green peppercorns.
    Add the patties to the pan, cover and simmer on low for at least one hour. Make sure there is enough sauce to almost cover the steaks.
    Salisbury steak should be very tender and not have the texture of a just fried hamburger. Simmering the meat in the gravy also enhances the flavour of the sauce.

• User
    15 years ago

Here are a few you may enjoy.

Shepherd's Pie

4 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    3/4 cup diced onion, about 1/2 medium
    2 cups diced carrot, about 2 medium
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 heaping tbsp tomato paste
    2 tbsp flour
    1 cup red wine
    2 1/2 cups beef stock ( I use 1/2 stock one half my brown sauce)
    1 sprig rosemary
    1 sprig thyme
    Salt and pepper to taste

4 medium cooking potatoes, peeled and quartered
    2 cloves garlic, smashed
    butter
    1/4 milk
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
    salt and pepper to taste

1. Add 2 tbsp vegetable oil to large pan over medium high heat. Add ground beef.
    2. Cook until excess liquid is gone and meat is starting to brown. If required drain of any fat.
    3. Remove meat from pan and deglaze with red wine, let reduce slightly.
    4. In another large pot, add remaining vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery; cook until soft but not browned, about 5-7 minutes.
    5. Add garlic and add tomato paste. Brown paste slightly then sprinkle in flour. Cook out for a minute or two
    6. Add in red wine, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan.
    7. Add beef stock, rosemary, thyme. Return browned meat to pot. Simmer, covered for 20-25 minutes.
    8. Remove lid and continue cooking for another 10 minutes; liquid will reduce and thicken. Remove rosemary, thyme . Season well with salt and pepper.

Potatoes

1. Add quartered potatoes and smashed garlic to medium pot.
    2. Boil until potatoes are tender but not overdone, about 15-20 minutes.
    3. Strain potatoes; let dry out slightly in colander before returning to pot. Add milk, butter, pepper, Parmesan cheese and more salt if necessary.
    4. Mash potato masher.

Preheat oven to 400. Spoon filling into the bottom of a 10-inch round casserole dish. Top with potatoes. Grate parmesan cheese on top and dot surface evenly with butter. Season with salt and pepper.
    Bake on middle rack until top is golden and filling is warmed through, about 20-25 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.

Burritos or Tacos

2 lbs ground beef
    1 teaspoon Salt
    2 tablespoons Chili powder
    2 tablespoons Paprika
    1 teaspoon Cumin
    1 teaspoon Garlic powder or 2 cloves
    1/2 diced Bell pepper
    1/2 diced medium Onion
    Flour Tortillas

In 2 quart sauce pan add ground beef, salt, chili powder, garlic, cumin, paprika. Enough water to cover meat. Bring to a boil. Simmer over medium low heat about an hour.

Then add 1/2 medium chopped onion, 1/2 medium chopped bell pepper continue cooking 20 or 30 more minutes.

Heat flour tortilla on hot griddle are macro-wave 1 or 2-approximately, 10 seconds 10 or 12-one minute.

Spoon about 2 or 3 tablespoons of beef evenly down center of each tortilla; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Roll up tortilla.

Serve with sour cream and salsa, if desired. Optional: Top each serving with lettuce, tomato, and avocado

Salisbury Steak (AnnT's Recipe)

Salisbury Steak (Ann T)
    2 Lb of ground Sirloin
    1 onion finely chopped
    2 Clove of garlic minced
    2 Tbl chopped fresh parsley
    2 Tsp chopped fresh thyme
    1 Tbl of worcestershire Sauce
    1 Tbl dijon mustard
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    Sauce
    1/2 small onion chopped
    1 garlic clove minced
    1 Tbl green peppercorns (Sharon's notes, I omit)
    Fresh Mushrooms sliced
    Tbl Flour
    Broth 2 to 3 cups (Beef or chicken)
    Saute onions in 2 Tablespoons of olive oil until tender but not browned. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. In a bowl combined ground sirloin, parsley, thyme, dijon mustard, worcestershire sauce and~salt and pepper. Add onions and garlic and mix well. (I use my hands).
    Form into oval shaped patties. (I made 5 nice size ones from the 2 pounds, but you could make smaller if you prefer) If you have a grill pan use it. Heat pan until hot and grill steaks until grilled on both~
    sides. Add a bit of broth to the pan to pick up the drippings to add to sauce. Saute onion in 1 Tablespoon of oil until tender. Add mushroom and cook for 3 or 4 minutes and add flour. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes and add broth and green peppercorns. Place Salisbury Steaks in with sauce
    and continue to cook on low for at least one hour. This makes the meat really fork tender. NOTES: I used Chicken Broth but added somebeef/veal demi glaze that I made a week or two ago. It added flavor andcolor to the sauce. I had actually gone for a walk while this was cooking so it was probably more like an 1-1/2 hours, although 1 hour
    would probably be enough.

Swedish Meatballs (LindaC's recipe)

Lb ground beef
    ½ Lb ground pork
    ½ to ¾ cup fresh bread crumbs
    1 egg
    ¼ Cup milk
    ½ Tsp salt
    ¼ Tsp allspice
    1/8 Tsp nutmeg
    2/3 Tsp grated lemon rind

Mix all togetherÂadding bread crumbs as needed to make a soft mix that will just hold togetherÂmakes about 25 to 30 meatballs, roll in flour...not too floury....

Sauce
    2 Cup beef broth
    ½ Cup dry white wine
    ½ Pint (1 cup) sour cream
    Handful of fresh parsley

Bring the beef broth to a gentle boil and drop the meatballs in a few at a time. Remove after about 6 or 7 minutes with a slotted spoon and add more meatballs until all are cooked.

Strain the cooking liquid and return to pan reduce to about 1 ½ to2 cups, add the sour cream, heat and then add the meatballs, when all is heating to a bare simmer add parsley and serve with noodles or toothpicks.

Do not boil hard when cooking meatballs or they will fall apart
    Do not boil hard after sour cream is added or it may curdle.

Remember the sauce will be salty when cooked down, so under salt the meat.

Pourcupines (Gingers recipe)

1 1/2 Lb ground beef
    1/2 Cup raw rice
    1 Cup chopped onion
    2/3 Cup milk
    1 Tsp salt
    1/4 Tsp pepper
    1 Can tomato soup
    3/4 Cup water

Mix well the beef, rice, onion, milk, salt & pepper. Drop by tablespoonfuls in 9x13" pan. Set aside. Combine soup & water. Pour sauce over meatballs. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 1 hour.

• woodie
    15 years ago

Ann T's Salisbury Steak and Wiz's Spicy Cheeseburger Soup are both great! Here is another soup that we like a lot, very warm and comforting, on the plain side but we really like it.

Hamburger Tomato Macaroni Soup

2 lb lean ground beef
    1 cup diced carrot
    1 cup diced onion
    1 cup diced celery
    10 cups beef stock
    1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
    2 cups macaroni
    salt
    pepper

Brown hamburger and drain fat, season with s&p, add onion carrots and celery and cook for 10 minutes. Add beef stock and tomatoes, bring to a boil then simmer for 45 minutes, add macaroni and simmer 10 more minutes.

Don't laugh but I love the Bisquick cheeseburger pie once in a while. I also love Rachael Ray's meatloaf patties in 3 condiment pan gravy and her meatloaf muffins with BBQ sauce.

This is great for your super bowl party :)

NEW MEXICAN CHILE DIP
    from the kitchen of Jim Myers
    Makes about 3 quarts

2-3 pounds ground beef
    2 pounds Velveeta cheese cubed
    2 large onions, chopped
    1 - 28 ounce ounce can crushed tomatoes
    4 cloves garlic chopped
    2 - 4 ounce cans chopped green chiles
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    2 teaspoons cumin

Brown ground beef with the onions and drain. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 20-30 minutes. Transfer to crock pot to keep warm. Use large corn chips for dippers.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

My girls always loved Shepherd's Pie, and they were also big fans of Spanish Rice. My recipe comes from the old Betty Crocker cookbook, about 1969 publishing date I think.

Spanish Rice

INGREDIENTS

1 cup uncooked white rice
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1 pound ground beef
    1 quart stewed tomatoes or canned tomatoes
    1 tbls chili powder
    salt and pepper to taste
    garlic powder to taste
    In a large saucepan over medium heat brown the ground beef with the onion, pepper and rice until the onion is tender and the beef is browned. Drain excess oil and fat. Add the tomatoes, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked, stirring occasionally. I usually have to add some more water before the rice is done, for some reason.Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.

We also made "goulash" which here in Michigan is just ground beef, onions, a quart of homecanned tomatoes and some macaroni, seasoned to taste. The girls also loved hamburger gravy, made like the creamy sausage gravy that you can get on biscuits, but with ground beef instead of sausage and served over mashed potatoes.

Annie

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Here's the soup recipe that Woodie mentioned

SPICY CHEESEBURGER SOUP

2 C cubed potatoes (peeling optional)
    1½ C water
    2 carrots, grated
    ½ C chopped onion
    ½ C chopped green pepper
    1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tsp salt
    1 Tbsp beef bouillon granules

Combine the above in a large pan and cook until potatoes are tender.

1 lb lean ground beef

Brown and drain ground beef and stir into cooked potatoes

2½ C milk
    3 Tbsp flour

Combine flour and milk and stir into soup. Bring to a boil then reduce heat.

½ lb Velveeta Cheese, cubed
    ½ tsp cayenne pepper

Stir into soup, just until cheese is melted.

bacon crumbles (optional)

Top each serving with bacon if desired.
    Makes 4-6 servings

And one that Marigene has posted, easy and very good Crazy Crust Beef Pie CF\-\-Marigene Crust: ½ cup flour\* 1/4 teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon baking powder 1/4 cup shortening ½ cup sour cream 1 egg Mix and spread into 9" pie pan Brown: 1 lb. ground beef 1/4 cup onion, diced 1/4 cup celery, diced 1/4 cup bell peppers, diced 1/4 cup mushrooms, diced Drain well, if using 80/20 ground beef. Add: ½ cup ketchup 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce 1 tablespoon mustard ½ cup cheese, grated Spoon into crust and sprinkle with more grated cheese.\*\* Bake 425 degrees for 20\-25 minutes. \*I used about 3/4 cup flour \*\*I added the cheese after it came out of the oven, so that it would burn to a crisp. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ And here's something a little different... Gyro Meat 1 lb ground lamb 1 lb ground beef 1/2 small onion, finely chopped 2 cloves garlic, crushed 1/2 tsp dried oregano 1/2 tsp ground cumin 1/2 tsp dried ground marjoram 1/2 tsp dried ground rosemary 1/2 tsp black pepper Combine everything and refrigerate for a couple of hours for flavors to blend. Blend in a food processor ( in 2 batches if necessary) for about a minute. This will smooth out the meat and make it a finer grain, like commercial gyro meat. Pack the meat firmly into a loaf pan. I use a meatloaf pan that has an insert, meat is packed into the insert and as it cooks, the fats collect in the pan underneath for disposal. Bake at 325° for 45\-60 minutes. Nancy
  • doucanoe
    15 years ago

I haven't tried Ann's Salisbury Steak recipe but I can vouch for Nancy's Cheeseburger Soup, it's delish!

Here are a couple more:

Mom's Meatball Stroganoff
    Recipe courtesy Sara Moulton

1 pound ground chuck
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra, for seasoning
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra, for seasoning
    1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
    2 large egg yolks
    1 cup water
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 pound cultivated white mushrooms, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup dry sherry
    2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
    1/2 cup sour cream

Combine the chuck, half of the chopped onion, the garlic, salt, pepper, bread crumbs, egg yolks, and 1/2 cup of water in a large bowl. Mix well and form meatballs that measure about 1-inch in diameter. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, shaking and turning, until well browned, about 5 minutes. Don't crowd the pan; work in batches, if necessary. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
    Pour off any excess fat from the skillet, leaving 3 tablespoons in the pan and add the remaining onion. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until the liquid they give off has evaporated, 7 to 10 minutes. Pour in the sherry, increase the heat to high, and boil until almost all the liquid they give off has evaporated. Pour in the stock and bring to a boil.
    Rub the butter with the flour in a small bowl until it forms a smooth paste. Pinch off pea-sized pieces and add little by little to the boiling sauce, whisking constantly for 3 minutes. Add the meatballs, stir in the dill, and sour cream, season with salt and pepper, and cook over low heat until the meatballs are just heated through. Serve hot.

If you want to make a lighter version of this dish, you can substitute ground sirloin or ground round and low-fat sour cream.

[
    ](http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=10&imgid=301499516) Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy Source: Rachel Ray 1 1/4 pounds ground beef sirloin 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it 1 small onion, finely chopped 1 tablespoon steak seasoning blend (recommended: Montreal Seasoning by McCormick) or, coarse salt and pepper Extra\-virgin olive oil, 3 tablespoons, 3 turns of the pan 12 crimini or baby portobellos, sliced 12 shiitake mushrooms, chopped 2 tablespoons butter 2 tablespoons all\-purpose flour 2 cups beef stock Combine meat, Worcestershire, onion and steak seasoning or salt and pepper. Form 2 large, oval patties, 1\-inch thick. Preheat large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of extra\-virgin olive oil and the meat patties to a hot pan. Cook meat 6 minutes on each side until meat is evenly caramelized on the outside and juices run clear. Remove meat and cover with loose tin foil to keep warm. Add 1 more turn of the pan extra\-virgin olive oil and butter to the pan, then the mushrooms. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper and saute mushrooms until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. To mushrooms, add a sprinkle of flour to the pan and cook 2 minutes more. Whisk in stock and thicken 1 minute. To serve, pour gravy over Salisbury steak. Serve with Smashed Potatoes with garlic & herb cheese and chives. Linda
  • pkguy
    15 years ago

Chase
    Your Shepherds Pie recipe is very similar to mine. In your list of ingredients though you didn't mention how much celery though you mention adding it in with the carrots.

My secret ingredient, don't tell anyone, is 1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg.

• gardenguru1950
    15 years ago

Some quick thoughts (some repeats):

meatballs (I know you said "no thanks" but there's a
    gazillion ways here, especially "meatballs stroganoff")
    hamburgers (another gazillion ways)
    Beef Lindstrom
    Salisbury steak
    Sloppy Joes, Sloppy Joses, Sloppy Cheesy Joes
    Chiles Rellenos
    Mac and Meat and Cheese
    Ground beef and rice (my mother used to make something off
    the back of a package of rice that was one of our
    favorite foods when growing up; it was a Mexican
    style rice with ground beef)
    Shepherd's Pie
    Tamale Pie
    Chili
    Pasties
    Pirogis (esp. beef and mushroom)
    "Ants up a Tree"

Joe

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

Spaghetti sauce
    or...

Cabbage and Ground Beef Bake

1 bag (16 ounces - about 6 cups) shredded cabbage and carrots
    1 lb. extra lean ground beef (do not brown)
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 medium onion finely chopped
    1 cup long grain rice
    1 28 oz. jar chunky spaghetti sauce
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 tsp. dried basil leaves, crushed
    1/4 tsp. seasoned salt

Place half of the shredded cabbage in 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
    Crumble ground beef over top.
    Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper.
    Evenly distribute chopped onion, then rice over all.
    Top with remaining cabbage, salt and pepper.
    Combine spaghetti sauce, water, basil and seasoned salt; pour over cabbage.
    Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours or until rice is tender.
    Makes 6 servings

Egg Rolls
    Submitted By : Cyndy Carver
    Serves : 10
    Prep. Time : 1:00
    1/2 Lb. ground beef
    (3/4) 1 lb. pkg. coleslaw mix (grated cabbage and carrots)
    1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
    1/2 tsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. chopped garlic
    1/2 tsp. ground ginger
    3 Tbls. soy sauce
    1 lb. pkg. egg roll wrappers
    1 egg - beaten
    -Brown beef in skillet and drain off fat.
    -Add coleslaw mix, mushrooms, black pepper, garlic, and ginger to skillet.
    -Stir-fry until all is tender.
    -Drain and squeeze out any liquid from pan.
    -Stir in soy sauce.
    -Spoon 2-3 Tbls. mixture onto each wrapper.
    -Brush edges of wrapper with beaten egg.
    -Roll up wrappers as you would a burrito.
    -Fry egg rolls in 350 degree oil until brown.
    -Drain on brown paper bags.
    NOTES : Dip egg rolls in spicy mustard, soy sauce, or sweet and sour sauce.

Eight Layer Casserole
    Yields 8 servings.

1 pound lean ground beef
    1/4 cup imitation bacon bits
    1 med. onion, chopped
    1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
    1 cup water
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 1/3 cup long-grain rice
    2 cans whole kernel corn, drained
    1 cup chopped green bell pepper

Crumble ground beef evenly over bottom of a 6-quart crock pot.
    Sprinkle with bacon bits, then onion.
    In a medium bowl, combine tomato sauce, water, chili power, salt, and black pepper; pour half over beef and onion layers.
    Sprinkle rice evenly over top, then corn.
    Top with remaining tomato sauce mixture, then bell pepper.
    Cover and cook on LOW about 5 hours or until rice is tender.

Per serving: Cal 365 - Carb 47 gm - Total fat 13 gm Sat fat 5 gm - Cal from fat 117 - Chol 42 mg - Sodium 1071 mg

Deanna

• sands99
    15 years ago

Jamaican meat pies
    moussaka (ooo I could make that tonite!)

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

No recipes, just wanted to pop in to say I Love Ground Beef

:-)

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

MEATBALL STEW

1 egg, beaten
    1 cup soft bread crumbs
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
    1/4 tsp. dried thyme
    1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
    2 Tbs. vegetable oil
    2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) beef broth
    2 cans (10 3/4 oz. each) condensed golden mushroom soup (not cream of mushroom soup)
    4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
    4 medium carrots, cut into chunks
    1 small onion, cut in half and slivered
    1 16 oz. package frozen Fordhook lima beans
    1/4 cup fresh minced parsley

In a bowl, combine egg, bread crumbs, chopped onion, salt, marjoram and thyme. Add beef and mix well. Shape into 48 meatballs. In a Dutch oven, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Add broth, soup, potatoes, carrots and sliced onions; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add beans and continue to cook until all vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley before serving. Makes 8 servings.

Notes: Cut green beans can be substituted for the lima beans and mushrooms can be added if desired.

• prairie_love
    15 years ago

We buy beef by the quarter as well, so these are great ideas!

My contribution - lots of ground beef calls for a summer patio party with grilled burgers! We do that a lot and always get raves about how good the burgers are (Angus beef raised just down the road).

• lyndaluu2
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas....copied and pasted. We also love ground beef

Linda

• susytwo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! These are very helpful ideas!

• User
    15 years ago

PK , your right there is an ingredient line missing. I'm guessing I use about 1 cup.

Thanks for catching this, I'll change the recipe in my files.