SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginnyjj9b

Confused with sourdough starter

ginjj
15 years ago

I received dried sourdough starter from Carl's in Oregon. After 36 hours it was bubbling and had increased in volume maybe 25%. According to the instructions it was now "active" and ready to be used or you could continue to feed it (and keep it forever I guess.)

Not sure if I've done the next steps correctly. (I know I've done too much reading and too much thinking.)

What I did last night was

1. "fed" it with 1/3c flour and 1/4c 90 degree water

2. moved it from a glass jar for fear of mold growing on sides into two glass bowls 1 qt in size

My plan is to leave it out on the counter feeding it every 12 hours for a week or two as I read this is a way to get really good flavor from it. Then it will go into the refrigerator and feed as instructed and used periodically.

I am hoping that these steps are ok and that once it reached it's "fully active stage"- initial bubbling, it was ok to proceed with the "keeping it alive" steps.

I will say that using the dried starter from Carl's and having it bubbling by 36 hours is much quicker than the long wait I've read about when you do it yourself.

Thanks to my friends at Gardenweb who will reply to this novice, I know I can always count on you guys to educate, support and be patient with me.

Ginny

Comments (7)