SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Gift Card Shopping and Strategy!

User
10 years ago

I used to hate gift cards and they are still not my favorite presents. However, they are here to stay, so I have finally figured out how to use them.

First, if we put them away in a "safe" place we might as well cut them up on the spot. I have to keep them where i will see them several times a day. If they are general gc's like AmEx or Visa, they go in my wallet. If they are store cards where i actually go to that store, I keep them in my purse OR car, since I often change purses. If they are for places i shop online like Amazon, I actually tape them to my computer monitor!

About a year ago I went through everybody's rooms and desks and the junk drawer in the kitchen, coat pockets, and saved birthday cards and came up with more than $600 of UNUSED gift cards--- mostly from Barnes and Noble, which doesn't even have a store within driving distance these days--- but also from Amazon, AmEx, Crate and Barrel, etc. I sat down and used them all within three days, many for utilitarian stuff we already needed. I purchased music CDs from B&N, ripped them to my itunes and passed them along to my mother, who still uses CDs. She was thrilled.

This year for Christmas I received a $50 Amazon gc which I have used for a kindle download, a $20 Walmart card I will use for packing materials when we put Christmas away next week, and $100 each from Talbots and Nordstroms--- all from my kids. I sat down today to take advantage of the online sales and bought a nice alpaca mid thigh length coat (we used to call it a "car coat") that was a steal after the sale and the gc, as well as a new pair of Born oxford style shoes with darling velvet laces.

After 57 years it finally occurred to me to buy whatever I want and just apply the darned gc to the cost and not wait longer than a week or so to use them. But, I am a SLOW learner.

So today I have had a mini Christmas all over again!

Any favorite gift cards? Do you hate them and wish they were banned forever? I wish companies would let me register them online and throw away the actual card, and have the amount saved in their system like a store credit. The store could periodically jog my memory by sending emails-- they love doing that anyway, and this would actually be a good reason for it.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH