SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelntx_gw

Trying to stay positive but ready to kill someone!

kelntx
16 years ago

I am trying SO hard to stay positive but when we showed up at the house today around 2:30 NO ONE was there. No electrician....yet another day. I was assured he was going to be there with a "group of helpers" and not only was he not there but no one else was. I was told that the shelves and trim would be done but guess what, they came yesterday and worked for maybe three hours. They got there at 11:30 and when we got back at 4:30 they were gone. It is the GC brothers doing it.

What do I do?! If he is not there on Friday do I just tell the GC this is enough and that we insist on another electrician or can we even do that? I left him a message about how we were there and it looked like the electrician never made it. I also said we were taking all of the light fixtures home with us but DH said we will be running back and forth every time he says he will be there. It was pretty clear how unhappy I was that no one was there working today. Who wants to make a bet that the cabinets will not show up Friday! LOL!

Trying to stay positive but sinking fast. I can not sleep on this lazy boy chair anymore!!!! LOL!

Comments (27)

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

Kelly: I'm betting on no one showing up and no cabinets showing up. Is anyone actually working there today, the day before Thanksgiving? Or Friday, the day after Thanksgiving? I have seen nothing but people zooming around in their cars, kids all out of school and daycare centers closing here. Big plans for Friday shopping, tool buying (by tool guys), football, overeating/drinking plans and supplies being laid in for that. Maybe that's just here in the southeast. But it's a major slack-off time.

I know the pressure you're under with your closing. By this point I'm guessing your GC has collected most of his money?? The closer it gets to that point, the more I think you have to be careful to not get him so annoyed that he just pulls a work-slowdown on you. Let him know you're concerned because of the closing and what THAT will cost you if you miss it.

It's too bad that the electrician is his brother. Blood is thicker than--what, making Kel happy?? I'm not sure I'd push him to replace bro.

Any way you guys can disappear to a nice hotel with pool and spa for overnight??? Might be more conducive to happiness--at least temporarily-- than hanging around the building site.

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wish we could go to a nice hotel! LOL! The electrician is not his brother, the guys who were doing the trim is his brothers. The electrician is a friend. I would give him the benefit that tomorrow is Thanksgiving but I was told he would be there last Saturday, then Tuesday and FOR SURE on Wednesday since he was off of work (this is a side job for him I guess). The A/C guys had to work in the dark in the attic because he never showed up to put lights in the attic. This is not just a one time thing. He NEVER shows up when he is suppose. He is 4 weeks behind on hooking up the house with electricity.

DH just walked in....better run, he has my dinner!

Kel

• Related Discussions

How to stay positive during this pillage

Q

Comments (28)
    Hi whaas, Just wondering, how large is the property? How many new transplants are you trying to maintain and how large are the plants? When thinking about your plight, I recalled how in the past I've used the sprinkler on the beds. At the risk of sounding like a moron, I'll state the obvious. Idea would be to simply place the sprinkler in front of the bed and leave it on for 3 h or so. Get in at least one "zone" in the evening. If the wife is going to be home, another in the morning and call to make sure she remembers to turn it off at the appropriate time. Two zones a day times two hose bibs for 4/day, you get the idea. Yes, the foliage will get wet, but the same would also happen if it were to rain. I assume that your hose will reach - that is, I hope your half-day watering sessions are do not require back-and forth trips with the watering can. If that's not the case, and if the cost of multiple hoses in series becomes prohibitive, you could buy mainline tubing at lower cost. See link below - 500' of 3/4" tubing for ~$100. With the required adaptors (quite inexpensive) you're good to go. The problem becomes decreased flow rate the longer you go, so it would be important to get the 3/4" rather than 1/2" diameter tubing. Obviously this setup is not ideal, it's more of a "quick and dirty" solution, but it may buy you some time and help your garden from turning into the worst nightmare you describe. Good luck! Alex Here is a link that might be useful: Mainline tubing
    ...See More

Trying to decide if staying together or separation is best

Q

Comments (32)
    Hi, sohurt. I just read thru this thread. From what you say, it sure does seem you are giving it your best. Did your therapist mention to you that DH might have a W/M complex? Men might all have a little bit of it to some extent. He seems to be rather selfish. Raising kids is a normal part of all marriages. They take a lot of time and energy. Can you ask your therapist if he might have a personality disorder? I took this excert from http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/6-5-2002-19793.asp. The following explains the view they might have on women: The Holy Whore The Hunter Parasite The Frustrating Object of Desire Uniqueness Roles The narcissist divides all women to saints and whores. He finds it difficult to have sex ("dirty", "forbidden", "punishable", "degrading") with feminine significant others (spouse, intimate girlfriend). To him, sex and intimacy are mutually exclusive rather than mutually expressive propositions. Sex is reserved to "whores" (all other women in the world). This division provides for a resolution of his constant cognitive dissonance ("I want her but...", "I don't need anyone but..."). It also legitimizes his sadistic urges (abstaining from sex is a major and recurrent narcissistic "penalty" inflicted on female "transgressors"). It also tallies well with the frequent idealization-devaluation cycles the narcissist goes through. The idealized females are sexless, the devalued ones "deserving" of their degradation (sex) and the contempt that, inevitably, follows thereafter. The name of the article is "Do Narcissists Hate Women?" Although it may not be what is wrong with your DH it is an interesting read. It goes into depth as regard to this from of Personality Disorder. My opinion, if you meet up with one of these guys, run....for....the.....hills!
    ...See More

It's my Birthday, and I'm having trouble staying positive

Q

Comments (55)
    Breezy - the toilet alcove is just a smidge shy of 31 inches wide. The narrowest code would allow in my area. It doesn't feel too cramped - but it's open at the end. If it were at the end of a long "tunnel" it probably would feel cramped. The niches. well, I love them. especially the lower one - helps with shaving!!! :-) originally we weren't going to have that tall metal tension shelf in there - products/soap in niches and along the "shelf/ledge" on the half wall. When the glass was installed, wiping it down was such a pain that we put the tension unit in there.
    ...See More

HELP! Trying to stay calm but can this be fixed?

Q

Comments (27)
    Wow- so many quick and helpful responses. Thank you to those who didn't notice the difference from first glance...it makes me feel like it won't be such obvious "flaw" to guests. AND thank you to those who noticed it right away- nice to know that I am not the only person who picks out things like that immediately. @johnliu & sombreuil_mongrel: I didn't even think of the holes not matching if the pull was repositioned but you are right- that may bother me too. I think I am going to go with the consensus and live with it for a while. If it REALLY bothers me in a month or so, I can always fix it. DH didn't even notice the problem until I pointed it out and even then I had to really show him where the overhang differs. His wise-ass remark was "oh no, we have to sell the house"...so obviously not important to him at all. Anyway, thank you all for the help! Now I just have to tackle the backsplash...
    ...See More
  • amyks
    16 years ago

Kelly, I'm so sorry, and I know how frustrating it is. We moved in on Saturday, with some indoor and outdoor painting that needed to be done, and my carpenter still needs to do a few things inside and build a deck off of the back of the garage. I had workers here all day today, all day yesterday and from about 1:00 to 8:30 on Monday. So yes, I do think it is not unreasonable for people to work this week, especially when that is what they told you would happen. It isn't like Thanksgiving "snuck up on them" and took them all by surprise!!! I have never felt afraid to exert myself with my gc, I know how to comport myself and I am reasonable, yet I've let him know how I feel and felt all through the build. When I'm unhappy, I just say "I'm not happy about that" or, "that looks bad, I think they should do it over". He has adopted the attitude that he wants me to be happy, and until then, this house isn't done.

Yesterday my wood floors were professionally buffed, and in the light of day today I was NOT happy with the remaining scratches and wear. I called the flooring company I used, and they came right down. After his assessment and suggestion that all of my floors be re-coated, he spoke with my gc and was told to work up the estimate, let him know what it will take and when they can get it done.

Yes, people are working this week, especially when they say so. And I will add that we released our last payment over a week ago.

My sympathies are with you. I'm not sure the electrician is his brother, isn't it the trim guy? Anyway, I would talk with the gc about talking to the electrician about them losing the contract. They need to complete the work. They are holding other people up, especially the poor HVAC guys poking around the attic with flashlights! Sheesh!

Hang in there and try to have a Happy Thanksgiving. Just an idea, how about an air mattress, even a twin??

Amy

• amyks
    16 years ago

Sorry Kel, we cross posted!! Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving!!

Amy

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

Kelly: Since it is the electrician who is holding up EVERYTHING, and always does, why don't you just sweetly talk to your builder (as I KNOW you can do--isn't he the handsome one? makes it easier). Ask him, as if you were both on the same side, if he thinks it's time to bring in a new electrician. And how you REALLY hate to even suggest it, since the guy is his friend and all, but that maybe ya'll need to consider that. Because the guy must be really busy with other projects, since he never seems to get there when planned. (He may be an alcoholic, rather than just a slacker, don't you think?)

Maybe your builder can either use that as ammo with his buddy or will get the message that you're getting majorly nervous about the closing.

You know, the old catching more flies with honey than vinegar thing. I'm afraid for you to make him mad at this juncture. And if that doesn't work, then all's fair in love and war. So, what the heck, I'd just throw myself on his mercy and cry (this MUST be done in person--won't work on the phone). Oh, I forgot, you're from Phillie, right? I keep thinking you're a southern belle. Well, time to learn. When all else fails, down here we cry and carry on about how our family will suffer--the delayed closing and the money, no Christmas in the new house which your daughter was counting on. Oh woe! Can you do this? Rent Gone With The Wind again and watch Miss Scarlett, esp. that scene with the twin brothers.

Many ways to skin a cat. And, if Dr. Phil were with you he'd ask what tactic you've been using. And then his infamous line, "And how's that working for you?" Time for a change. Just throw everything you've got at him--well, I don't mean EVERYTHING. You do have marital vows.

• jca1
    16 years ago

"Just throw everything you've got at him--well, I don't mean EVERYTHING. You do have marital vows."

Ha-Ha, that was funny pinktoes,

when builders start getting paid that way, I may become a builder myself....Ha!

• teresa_b
    16 years ago

pinktoes,

Love your advice. And I agree with our reference to Dr. Phil--time for a new tactic!

Teresa B.

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great advice pinktoes! No I am not a southern belle. Wish I was! I am from Erie Pa, smaller town then Philly.

DH said that if the electrician does not show up Friday he was going to go about it almost the same way you mentioned. Must be a 'southern' thing! LOL!

I did like your comment about throwing everything at him! I talk big but I have never gotten upset directly at the builder. I was frustrated when I left the message on Wednesday but I was not acting like a *bleep*. I do know that he had to have heard the frustration in my voice. The builders builder told DH the electrician just will not show up. He said it is to far of a drive. *sigh* We will see what happens!!

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

pinktoes, That was funny! :o)

Kel~ Sorry that you are still delayed. ugggh. I am right there with you. There were NO workers at our build yesterday, just the electric company hooking up the electric lines into the house. I guess I was hoping that our finishers would show up, since they didn't work on our house at all this week. :o(

I'm right there with ya sister. Sometimes this process stinks! I hope that your electrician decides the drive is worth it. What a bizarre comment!!

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, we showed up today at 2pm. No cabinets....surprise surprise. BUT, the electrician had been there. I called the GC because I guess the cold weather caused a few stress cracks in the foundation and I was a bit shocked to see them. Anywho, he asked if the electrician was working and I said he had been there but was not there now. He asked me how much work he had done and I told him. I asked if he was just gone for lunch and he said he better had been because he was suppose to be working a full day. We left and went back tonight and he never did show back up. Crazy. We are going out there tomorrow to paint DD's bedroom and bathroom so I really hope he shows up. DH said maybe if we are there it will force him to stay and get things done.

Maybe Monday I will have pictures of some cabinets!!

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Don't forget it's deer season too.

• jca1
    16 years ago

you know...you can call it anything you like but the fact is this: Apparently he has made numerous promises to your builder to be there working all day, but has not showed up on these days. This makes him a liar, period. He is not to be trusted. I would fire him.

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh believe me I know it is hunting season. They better save that for the weekend! LOL!

Well, the electrician showed up Friday and Saturday. He is probably 85% completed BUT....we are pretty sure (I am 100% sure)he stood on DD's tub and cracked it. There is a huge crack from where someone stood on it. It was not like that on Thursday when I took my mother to see the house. He has been the only one there working since last Tuesday and the only one who would stand on it. I pulled the cover off of the tub to show my mom DD's whirlpool tub she is getting. We painted DD's room yesterday and we were going to paint her bathroom today when DH saw the crack. The electrician put up the light above her tub Friday and I just know he stood on it. So now they have to pull the sheet rock out and get the tub out to replace it. Which means that I am sure the hall way will get damaged while they are taking it out. I was sick when the builder told DH all of this. I guess at least he finished up most of the things he needed to do but not everything. We had bought all the lights for the house and brought them out there Tuesday for him to hand like the builder told us to and he did not hang up one single light fixture. Matter of fact he broke about three recess light bulbs and just left it on the floor. Broken glass everywhere.

I called my (ex) brother in law who had his own company (electrician) and he told me this late in the game it would be hard for another electrician to come and try to figure out the wiring. There are some wires still in the walls and ceilings that have not been cut out yet. I guess they will wait until the cabinets and such go in so they can center these lights. He said if someone in our situation would have called him he would have turned down the job. To much trouble to take over a job that is almost complete and not worth the money. So, at this point DH said he could finish it. LOL! DH has a degree in electronics and I do not doubt he couldn't do it but why should he? I am planning on meeting the builder there tomorrow morning (he doesn't know it but DH called him today about the tub and he said he would be at the house tomorrow morning). I am going to ask him about all of this. We are set to close in 3 weeks. No cabinets, floors, bath fixtures, trim....pretty much nothing has been done in the interior of the house. This should be interesting to say the least.

At least DD's room looks almost complete, minus the light fixture! LOL!

• sniffdog
    16 years ago

I feel your pain - I am dealing with the elecricians right now on the final installs and it hurts my head. The master electrician is great - smart, personable, knows what he is doing. Problem is that we rarely seem him - he sends out his "helpers" do handle the details. Let's just say that these "helpers" are not in the same class of human as the master electrician and leave it at that.

My suggestion to you is to test, re-test, and then do more testing before you take occupancy. Check every recessed light and make sure they put in the right bulb (max wattage) that is matched to the housing and trim kit. Buy an outlet tester and check to make sure they all work. Flip switches on and off to make sure that everything works and no breakers pop. Plug in lamps, a hair dryer, toaster where they would be and try them out - put some loads on. Call you ex-Bro in law to at least look over the main panel to see if things were installed properly (should be balanced load on each side of the box, neatly done, circuits clearly marked).

By happen stance I started flipping light switches on and off - and found a short. Then I found a defective breaker (or it could be a blown breaker due to another short). I have had to watch over the "pros" because they are doing sub-par work. I have watched these guys "work" and what they do in 1 day, I could do in 2 hours. I literally clocked the one helper on how long it took him to install 1 (yes ONE) exterior light. 4 hours!

They all smoke like chimney's (which takes a lot of time away from real work) and the work day goes something like this: a) show up - maybe, b) have a smoke, c) visit the port-a-potty, d) have another smoke, e) put in a wire, f) chat a little, g) have lunch - a nice long one for all the hard work they have done- then another smoke, h) maybe put in soem more stuff with smoke breaks in between, h) leave for the day after another smoke, i) come back a few weeks later to finish - and can't remember what was done so spend a day re-learning the house and plan. It has been a pathetic performance.

I should have wired the whole house. I wired the second floor and all recessed lights on all levels and everything I put in worked perfectly. The "pros" did the main floor - and there were mistakes & omissions - and that was after I gave them a very detailed wiring plan. I caught a bunch of errors but some I could not detect until we started hooking things up and testing.

So far the electrical subs have been the worst performers - BY FAR - in our build. And we supposedly have good electricians. It's a sad commentary on such an important trade.

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OH I agree with you and believe me everything will be tested to the max. We plan on hiring our own inspector in the next few weeks and I want that house gone over with a fine tooth comb. The first time we met the electrician DH and I were both very impressed. He made some great suggestions that we took and I am happy we did. He is a very knowledgeable guy and I have no doubt in my mind is probably very good at what he does. This just happens to be a "side" job that he bid on probably to low and he is just not interested in it. It is a shame though as I know 3 people getting ready to build a house. I do have to say that I LOVE the way he re-positioned our recesses lights in the living, dining and master bedroom. They look GOOD! LOL! I am off to see if anyone is out there working. It is only 36 outside so they will all probably wait until noon to show up!

Thank you for all of the great advice!!!!

Kel

• sniffdog
    16 years ago

That is a very good point aboout bidding the job too low. I believe part of my issue is stemming from that too. My builder works hard at driving his costs down (while driving my costs UP!) - and perhaps that is why we got the Dawn of The Dead crew for the final work.

I view it as the final leg of the marathon - the finish line is in sight!

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It sure is almost in sight! HEE HEE! I have to be honest I will be so glad when this is all over with. Now Colonial Bank is jacking around with us again. I am sick of it! LOL! Now I am running back and forth to the fax machine with more pay stubs, W-2's now to our credit union. I just want this to all be OVER!

• sniffdog
    16 years ago

Yep - we have a similar issue. Our bank told us & the builder that he has to be done by 22 Dec or we get to start the loan process all over again. My builder says he will be done by 15 Dec (any bets?). I think his definition of "done" is different than ours - we will see soon!

DW says we won't be moving in until 2008 - she is right. But at least the builder is making progress and will eventually finish (we weren't sure for quite some time). It drove us nuts when we would see zero progress being made for weeks/months at a time.

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

Kel~

I hope the tub comes out easier than you think. How disappointing. :o( I'm glad the electrician at least showed up, but leaving broken glass all over.... sheeesh!??!

Well, we have a great electrical crew. They were installing switches and plugs even in unpainted walls today, just to have something to do. ;o) LOL! They plan to bring an additional 2 men (workers who finished up jobs and must have nothing better to do) to our site tomorrow. This, and I haven't even ordered my lighting yet. Oops!

They did install the recessed lighting in the master bed/bath today, and hooked it up. Woo--hooo! I have to say I am loving the lighting. DH was in there after dark, and I looked out our RV window and saw the glow from that room lighting out on the little private porch off the master. And it was such a thrill. :o) Sometimes it's the little things.

The finishers have not been here for a week, and said they would come this evening? Nope.

The tile crew (a big one, thank goodness!) arrived this morning and worked hard all day. Lots of backerboard layed, and they worked on the master shower pan. Yippee!

Nevermind that if my finishers don't show soon, my tile crew will pass them up (as will our electricians). Only the 1st floor is finished. There's a bit of trim work drywall to be hung on the 3rd floor, and the hanger said he'd be back Monday. Nope.

HVAC supervisor came out to discuss pads with dh. They will be installing our units soon. All 6 of them. LOL!

The concrete man arrived today and discussed paving our driveway and out to the barn. We've got to get that done.... the rain the past few days is turning our old, graveled driveway into a mud bog. Not good when it's uphill to the house. LOL!

DH and I are painting (and beginning to wonder the wisdom of "saving those bucks". I love to paint, but I'm already tired... LOL)! We painted the walls in the master bedroom and dh's office tonight. Whew. Will I ever stop seeing big white spots of primer? :)

Can you tell we're so thrilled that work was being done on our house today?! Last week was a ghost town around here, and it was honestly depressing. Now this week, things are hopping. Sortof like labor pains.... once everyone starts showing up and getting busy, you forget how mad you are at them.... ha, ha. :o)

Hope our busy work place continues.... and I hope that tomorrow brings all sorts of activity to your site, Kelntx. Just wanted to tell you to hang in there and keep hoping. It's amazing what one day of a busy crew on a house can do for progress.... and your nerves! ;O)

Now... don't tell me I jinxed myself with all of my happy talk....... :O)

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Blessed, I am so happy you are having so much work done! YEA!!! I bet you are just thrilled. I can "hear" the excitement in your words :-) I love to paint but I am thinking we are probably going to be painting. They never rolled the rolls and they all look like crap. You can see the spray lines. I keep asking the builder about it and he just says "a few walls need to be rolled" More like all of them! LOL!

I am heading out there now. We will see what happens. If no one is there I plan on calling the builder. I want to be understanding but at the same time show my frustration with how things are going.

Blessed....post updated pictures when you can! I LOVE your house!

Kel

• sniffdog
    16 years ago

Definately make them roll the ceiling & walls - you can't touch up small sections if the paint is just sprayed on (you will wind up having to paint very large sections of walls and ceilings even if you only patch one small area).

They should have sprayed - and then back rolled - so you get the knap surface. Then you can touch up in spots and have it blend better.

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

kel~

Hope some workers were at your house today! :o)

Sniffdog~

Good point about the backrolling. We backrolled last night after dh sprayed. I was even hoping to do it in one coat, as the paint is fairly light.

Well, in the light of today, there is not enough paint near the ceiling. I was dipping into a pan to roller that area to blend, but obviously painting at night with just house lighting is not the best way. Today we can see the mistakes.

I've painted lots, but this is a first for spraying and rollering. IT's a LOT of work. I'm not surprised it looks like crud if they didn't back roll. I imagine there are some paint experts who can make spraying look wonderful, but I can see how the roller is more often than not a necessary (albeit tiring) step.

We're doing a 2nd coat, and it will ALL be rolled on, no sprayer this time around! :o)

Okay, off to get more paint....

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, I talked to the builder. He is so nice it makes me sick! LOL! Anyway, he was more then sorry and said he called the cabinet guy today and he assured him he would be there Wednesday. Our builder said he was really shocked that the cabinet guy is taking so long.He said when he did the cabinets for his last house he was two weeks early and on our house he is 4 weeks late. I asked him why nothing else was getting done and he said they really are waiting on the cabinets. He explained that when they put the cabinets in they spray them with a finish or stain and the have not put up the trim in the kitchen area because he does not want to risk stain getting on the trim before they paint. Made sense I guess. He said the floors can not go in until the cabinets gets in which means the toilets and sinks can not go in. The tile in the bathtub and shower can not be done until the tile guys come to do the floor. *sigh*. I guess when you start thinking about how everything has to happen in order it makes sense. He told me he really wanted to have us in by the first or second week of December and he could have it the cabinets had come 3 weeks ago. He assured me he really is trying his best and has called the cabinet guy everyday. I guess he resorted to threats this morning and he said he hated doing it.(he reminds me of DH, neither like confrontation) Soooo, with all that said. IF the cabinets get there this week they will work on staining and finishing them and then it is paint trim and doors, set counter tops...he just rambled on all this stuff. I asked him if we are still shooting for December 20th and he said he was going to do everything he could to get us in before Christmas. Just when I get so mad he goes off and is nice! LOL! I think if I see the cabinets this week I will feel 100% better. Keep your fingers crossed he shows up! Add the cabinet guy on my list with the electrician!

Kel

• jennymama
    16 years ago

Kelly,

I am basically at the same place as you in the build. Things were slow last week, and I was really looking forward to this week and some 'action'. Well, the only action has been the trim carpenter and a coat of paint on the outside. It is soooooo frustrating.

Btw, our builder is really nice and personable too...it does make it harder to be mad!

Here's to hoping we're in our new homes by Christmas!

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I sure hope so. Now our bank is telling us we can not longer do a 80/20 loan and we have to have an escrow account and PMI and our payment is up to $2800 a month! We are already coming to the closing with $16,000. This was all unloaded on me today. SO, unless we come up with 55,000 to put down we are screwed. This is just all to much. We went into this thing thinking one thing and now we are so close and they are making so hard. I just do not understand it. The loan officer said that banks are just not doing split loans anymore. I am at a loss......

• jennymama
    16 years ago

Oh wow, Kelly! That is crazy! That is a lot of money to come up with!

I hope you guys can find a solution (without killing your loan officer)!

• pam2007
    16 years ago

So sorry you're having such problems. Building a house should be an enjoyable experience. My husband is a builder and I know the frustrations that people face! It is all such a dominoe effect that if one subcontractor gets off schedule it touches everything to follow. Hang in there and I hope things work out with the bank.