SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

What size & type burner to replace older gas,typical burner with?

julieste
11 years ago

I am replacing a dual fuel twenty year old range and have spent waaaaaaaaaay too much time here and in appliance stores, evidenced by the fact that rather than being in the kitchen baking the Christmas cookies I plan to do today I am sitting here at the computer yet again. Now I am starting to second guess my original decisions I'd made after my research. After my research I had been really, really convinced that I needed open burners, and probably the bigger the better. Now I wonder.
I have been cooking good meals on this JennAir (which was considered a top-of-the-line product twenty years ago). In comparison to today's ranges, its burner BTUs are wimpy--maybe the one big burner is 12K or 14K, with the others about 8K maybe. All of the burners do a nice slow simmer. As did all gas ranges from the era, it has the typical old-fashioned, been-used-a- long-time design, open burner in a little circle with the gas coming out of the sides. You all know what I am referring to.

Here is what I really want to know from people who have moved on from similar types of stoves and burners: Does the average person really need all of the extra oomph that is provided by the much-touted high BTU, open-burner in a pro-type stove?
When I say average, I am considered an excellent cook and do more interesting things than many friends, but I am by no means someone who dedicates myself to the idea of cooking and refining various recipes and turning out multiple course meals for hordes of people several times a day. I make the usual thing we all make and like to branch out into ethnic cuisine. But, I don't do lots of stir fries or lots of big hunks of seared meat or use a big canning kettle or deep fry etc. And, we're down to just the two of us with larger crowds of ten or so maybe once or twice a month.

I know there is a huge crowd here of get the biggest and baddest BTU burners you can get. Would I really take advantage of these? After all, I've lived all of these years with less capacity, and I have never cooked on a pro range.

Would I be just as happy with something in say a 15K to 17K closed burner type configuration? I am guessing that would be a huge improvement in power over what I currently have. Or, would the closed burner configuration cancel out the improvement over the lesser-powered open burners I currently have? And, would this be pretty much the same heat I currently have now?

What has the reality been for people who have replaced a typical open burner gas range from the past with a newer model that is not as high-powered as many being promoted by posters here? Is it an improvement over what you had in the past? Or, are you having buyer's regret wishing you'd gone with the true pro-type mega burners? I guess I should throw in here that I am sixty-five and unlikely to radically change my cooking style just because I have a new toy.

I also know that none of use really need anymore than a flame to cook, and I've thought about induction but am not convinced it is for us.

Thanks.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH