SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommyto4boys_gw

Is the floor plan I want so unusual?

mommyto4boys
15 years ago

Long story short, we sucessfully gc'd/owner/built our dream home & moved in this past May. Over budget & two kids later we have decided we will sell hopefully in 1 1/2 years. Hoping the market will get better & we can count pennies and hang on until then. Our current home is our dream home, 4200+ sq feet with upgrades almost everywhere possible.

To keep me going I'm starting to draw a new floor plan. We need to decrease on square footage and build for less this time (hard lesson learned). We'd like to be under 3500 sq ft. I would like opinions on a few things, as it seems a few of my ideas are definitely not the "norm."

1- We don't want a "formal" office or den, but rather a small homework area/computer place as part of mudroom area.

2- We love our open stair case & having the foyer blocking off the main living area of the home. Seems most view this as wasted space?

3- We don't want a keeping room or living room.

4- We want a large open great room/kitchen, main floor master, a large laundry room, mud room with entrance into garage and outside. Also, still want a breakfast nook & formal dining room.

Just wanted some feedback as many plans on-line don't have our likes/dislikes. Wanted to know if we are that different in the way we live with our now 5 boys.

I have drawn a first floor plan with my specs. I'll share that when I'm able to get it off of a large sheet of graph paper.

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments (19)