SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrtea1

Please critique my unusual two-tiered hillside house plan

lil
9 years ago

Okay so this house is a little unconventional in it's design.

Basically the part of the house where all the action takes place is in one structure at the top of the hill (lets call it the Upper House), then there is a separate building lower down the slope where people shower and sleep (the Lower House). Our family does not dwell in our bedrooms for anything besides sleeping, so I'm thinking (hoping?) this layout might work reasonably well.

The main thing I'm trying to achieve with this design is that water can be gravity fed and we can do away with the need for a pump. Rain is collected from the roof into a small tank on a stand which sits about waist-high. This then supplies water to the kitchen sink. There will be only a foot or two of head for this, but that's fine for the kitchen sink I think.

This tank then overflows into the large main tank next to it. This tank gravity feeds to the Lower House, which contains the shower and the bedrooms. The Lower House sits about 12' (4 metres) or so down the hill from the main house, and the two would be joined by a covered walkway.

I see that the toilet being downstairs might be a bit of an issue, so I'm considering having it somewhere in the middle, or maybe even caving-in and having TWO composting toilets (one up, one down).

So I know this is a pretty unconventional-looking design, but I'm hoping it might work. What do you think?

Comments (28)