SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luvtogardenz5

I made my daughter a gypsy skirt

luvtogardenz5
18 years ago

I was looking for craft ideas using old denim and decided I would make my daughter a tiered skirt. I spent $2.50 on the project. You cut the jeans at the crotch inseam, trim straight. You then measure the opening. Each tier attached should be 1.5 larger than the opening. I used 1/2 inch seams. My daughter wears a girls size 10. I made 3 tiers using 3 different styles of pink fabric. The first piece of fabric was about 4" long by 42" wide, the second was 7" and I had 2 pieces of fabric cut because the bolt length was 42", the third was 10". Just keep in mind that each section will use 1 inch for hems/seams total. What you do is sew each tier into a tube keeping the 1.5 times the opening rule in mind and use 1/2 in seams. You then apply a basting stitch at 1/2 in on the face of the fabric and pull the loose threads gently to gather, adjust to the opening. I hemmed the bottom of each tier using a hem foot (remember on the facing side), sew the tiers together, right over the basting stitch. All sewing is done on the face of the fabric. I used about 16 pins, pinned vertically. My daughter is the envy of her friends for a whopping $2.50, I will make skirts for her friends :-) There are also similar skirts with loose ruffled tiers. For a younger child of toddler age you can simply make a ruffled denim mini skirt. For an idea of what I am talking about visit http://www.kohls.com and check out the big girls section.

Comment (1)