SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soilenthusiast

Bosch 36" Induction - Final Questions

soilenthusiast
10 years ago

Dear All,

Everyone's posts on this forum have been extremely helpful in our move toward purchasing a Bosch 500 Model 36" Induction cooktop for our new kitchen. Based on all the research I've done it seems like this model would be the best for our price range.

We currently use gas cooktop so spending the extra money on an induction is a big gamble since we really haven't used the technology much at all. Family members swear by it though and say they'd never return to gas. I do worry that these electronic dependent induction cooktops may fizzle out a lot quicker than a gas cooktop which would probably last forever, but I guess we're willing to take that risk.

I had several questions / concerns before we pull the trigger:

1) Looks like the Bosch 800 model only has two extra features: AutoChef and the nicer controls on the stainless steel. I don't care about AutoChef, but does having the controls on the stainless steel actually make the effective cooking area larger (by allowing handles, etc to be over the controls) or protect the electronics from splashes vs. the controls on the 500? Otherwise, I'm tempted to go for the 500 model.

2) I measured out all of our pots and pans tonight. Bosch has: 11", 9", 7", 7" and a 6" hob. Concern is that the three pots and pans we use simultaneously quite often are (I measured the bottom of these pieces) a 10.5" Le Creuset pot, 10.5" All Clad Saute pan and a 9.5" All Clad stock pot (which oddly was not magnetic, although my other All Clads are - guess I'll have to get a new stock pot). If my Le Creuset is on the 11" hob, will I be able to use the 10.5" Saute on the 9" hob and the 9.5" stock pot on the 7" hob and still get full effectiveness? Don't want to find that my meats won't cook through because the hobs aren't large enough. Is there really room on these cooktops to put 4 or 5 pots/pans on at once vs. all gas where I know I can do it.

3) I'm aware of the noise issue on the pots/pans. Assuming I stick with All Clad cookware, I understand this can be expected because of the vibrations of the various layers of cladding. I think the noise is really annoying, but is it really only at super high temperatures that this happens or will I hear the noise even at low temperatures? If I switch to solid Cast Iron will I eliminate the noise?

4) Bosch advertises that it has 17 settings for temperature control. But are a lot of these super hot since I believe I read somewhere that anything above 9 or 10 is extremely hot. which effectively would only give you 9 or 10 settings, which provides less flexibility than gas.

I think those are my only real concerns on the change to induction. Am I missing anything? If we were going to do gas, we'd go for the 36" Thermador cooktop. Do you guys think this is a good move?

We are strongly leaning towards 30" Kitchen Aid Architect II Double Oven with convection although strongly considered the Elux double ovens which are very popular here. Only hesitation on the Elux was the smaller internal cavity size of the oven even though it's 30". I read about shattering glass on the Kitchen Aids with self-clean but was assured by dealer that the issue has been addressed by manufacturer recently.

All your help is really appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.

Comments (31)