SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
castironcook2_gw

Another BlueStar Review

castironcook2
14 years ago

Four years ago we fell in love with a light-filled, architect-designed, Mediterranean-style home whose only shortcoming, in our estimations, was a kitchen geared heavily toward appearances rather than serious functionespecially when it came to the range and the (horrors!) woefully inadequate OTR "recirculating" microwave. (More about that in a separate post.)

Yes, the gas, sealed-burner, glass cooktop by Creda was pretty, but we found its separate enameled grates and its limited BTU range frustrating. Hubbest loves to sear and simmer, and moving that heavy, spigoted stockpot from burner to burner was a pain. After the first month or so, I couldnÂt keep the grates clean, and I was perpetually coaxing gunk out of the edges of the burners. And because of the lack of exterior venting, the whole kitchen was rapidly taking on an unattractive layer of grease.

Finally enough was too much. With heavy-duty function as our top priority and easy upkeep a close second, we began the Great Cooktop and Hood Quest. Which began with this forum, which led us to BlueStar, our new kitchen tool of choice.

In a previous house weÂd had a Garland, so we knew of the joys of open burners and continuous cast-iron grates. What I had not appreciated (for in those days Hubbest did all the cookingÂexcept for Monday night football) was how those bowl-shaped cast-iron undergrates held the heat from the high-BTU star-shaped burners. What great pot and plate warmers those bowls make!

And clean-up is a snap, for since we already cook almost exclusively with cast iron, weÂre well used to the care of that congenial material. What other burner grates will take on a fine seasoning with minimal attention?

I like that our new BlueStar slide-in rangetop is principally cast iron, with a very minimal framework and only a front apron of stainless, for in my Great Cooktop Quest I learned that stainless all too often isnÂt. Give it a few weeks of serious cooking, and the base of that shiny stainless cooktop you admired in the showroom is going to be noticeably discolored. In fact, thatÂs one reason we opted for BlueStarÂs slide-in, which is all cast iron, rather than their drop-in, which relies upon a stainless base. (For some reason known only to BS management, they call both of them "cooktops".)

The two front 22k burners (we could only accommodate the 30" slide-in) put out such serious heat that until we got our hood installed, we could only let them idle alongÂyet that idle was as much as our previous, cute little Creda could handle at top bore. Heavy pots slide easily from grate to grate, while the center grate, more than just a space holder, functions nicely as a warming space.

It helped when our accountant said that since we are published cookbook authors (working on a sequel), we could write off most of the cost of this rangetop, which upgrade we needed because of the nature of our cooking.

So our guests will just have to enjoy the fruits of this fine new acquisition. If you canÂt stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen?

Or something like that.

Comments (9)