SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_monkeyjac

BlueStar White Glove Service

gw_monkeyjac
16 years ago

I ordered a 48" BlueStar today. I was informed that as of April 14, BlueStar has rolled out a new White Glove Service. Basically, anyone who purchases a RNB range, cooktop or rangetop is elgible to receive the service. After installation, a BlueStar representative will come to your house to review the unit, including complete air shutter and burner setting review, top burner ignition, oven burner efficiency, griddle and charbroiler temperatures, oven lights and switch performance, fit and finish and ensure that the unit is installed properly. If you have this service performed, BlueStar will increase the 1 year warranty to 2 years. I haven't seen this mentioned yet on this forum and thought it was worth sharing. Yet another reason to purchase a BlueStar. Can't wait to get mine.

Comments (22)

• oruboris
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ordered mine in March, it won't be installed till mid-May: anyone know if this program will apply to mine, or only ones ordered after April 14?

• berryberry
    16 years ago

Well I am only speculating here, but it would only make sense to go by install date:

1) You (the customer) have the range installed and leveled by your installer.
    2) Your installer carries out the checklist in the back of the manual.
    3) You send the completed checklist to Bluestar within 10 days of installation, also call Bluestar to arrange a FREE installation inspection.
    4) Bluestar will send an Approved service guy to your home within 10 days, he will do the following.

You can't do anything to request the white glove service until after the install. Also, why implement a new program to improve customer satisfaction and then piss off a number of customers like you who may have the stove on order but won't have it delivered for a few months. That would be Bluestar shooting themselves in the foot

• Related Discussions

Blue Star 'servicing'

Q

Comments (4)
    The company is most likely the warranty service company. I didn't know BlueStar sold this service, or it may be through your local appliance store. But either way, it's basically an extended service contract, and you should review the terms of said contract. I'm guessing an evaluation of the condition of the equipment is necessary.
    ...See More

Bluestar White Glove Service messed up more than they fixed.

Q

Comments (2)
    I think it is a good idea, but it needs to be performed by people who know what they're doing to be of value. In any event, the service is required in order to get the 2 year warranty.
    ...See More

Good report on BlueStar service...

Q

Comments (6)
    I would be interested in hearing about your pizza setup. I too am looking to use my shiny new BlueStar to turn out nicely charred pies, but my go-to method that I used in my old oven won't work in this one. I used to heat up my stone for a good hour and then turn on the broiler to simultaneously cook from the top and bottom for a nice quick baking time. With the BlueStar, however, the broiler is set to turn off once the oven temperature reaches 550F, which quickly happens when the oven is already at 500. Do you have a pizza stone set on the oven floor or another rack? Convection on or off? I would love to see some 6 minute pies!
    ...See More

BS White-Glove Service in NJ, Anyone?

Q

Comments (2)
    Call Signature Marketing at 1-800-358-8886 Ext 24 ask for Luke he is BlueStar Service and white glove for New Jersey
    ...See More
  • straw_bale_ln
    16 years ago

I just spoke to someone at BlueStar and they said that as long as your range is installed after April 14 you'll qualify. In my case, I ordered the range before the 14th but it didn't ship until the 15th and it's yet to be installed.

• heimert
    16 years ago

So this service is *free*? What's the catch, because it seems like the rare "something for nothing".

• jscout
    16 years ago

I visited Eurostoves this Saturday and spoke at length with Trevor. He advised me of this program and said it was no additional cost. BlueStar is doing this due the volume of customer complaints that apparently are due improper installations. He also showed me three oven doors that were replaced. All were damaged due to installation from people moving the ranges while holding the door handles. This is at least a good PR move by BlueStar if nothing else. But I do hope this becomes permanent. I'm now 99% certain that I will be buying a BlueStar.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    16 years ago

Heimert..........this is a FREE service.

jscout...........I understand this is a permanent service.

As most know i am a huge supporter and retailer of Bluestar *for the right customer*. In my opinion this new service can be nothing but good news for the consumer with no catches :)

I don't know of any other manufacturer that offers such a service at all let alone for free, having said that the closest would be Miele who will extend the warranty by 1 year to 2 years on products provided you pay a Miele service company to install the appliances.

This service SHOULD also put the minds to rest for those people who don't purchase a Bluestar because of concerns about service not being available. Service and Installation is now available for everyone no matter where you live.

• heimert
    16 years ago

Trevor -- whom do we contact after installation? As you know, we bought ours a while ago, but it's only recently been moved in and hasn't been fully hooked up.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    16 years ago

Heimert

I would call Matt at Bluestar i understand he is heading up the service (610) 376-7479

• susanandmarkw
    16 years ago

It has been my experience with Bluestar--which is now, a full year after install, finally taking care of my problems, thank you Matt--that they attribute EVERYTHING that goes wrong to "installation issues." I was put off with this excuse for months and months (and months) and yet, when no "installation error" could be found by Bluestar's own service people, when they finally deigned to come out in December (install and first trouble report was in April), I received no apology or any other comment after being told, again and again, often quite rudely, that the fact my range didn't work was my fault because of "improper installation."

Also, I have to wonder if one of the doors Mr. Lawson showed to the poster above was mine ... Which ARRIVED damaged, long before install. I won't rehash any of my issues, but I would caution everyone to take anything a salesperson, which is what Mr. Lawson is, with a grain of salt. He is, after all, trying to convince you to buy (nothing wrong with that, it is his job) ... Just something to think about when weighing his comments/reading his posts here. In my lone PERSONAL experience, which is all I have, his comments pre-sale vary greatly from his post-sale demeanor. (Which makes me wonder if the "right person" to buy a Bluestar, in Mr, Lawson's estimation, is someone who won't complain, no matter what goes wrong.)

My oven door, already replaced once, is not working properly now and is scheduled to be replaced, again, on Monday. The range has not been moved even an inch since the new oven door was installed, so that's not the problem. In fact, I haven't even used the oven a dozen times since purchase, so it's not from over-use. (The hinge has gone bad, or something, as the oven door just flops open when lightly pulled. My sub-20 lb. one-year-old can pull open the door, and have it come crashing down on his head, with one hand ... And he can't even pull hard enough, even using both hands and all his weight, to open the fridge.)

The "white glove" service comes too late for me, but I hope it will work as stated for others. I was told by Bluestar, in the Pete Bloodgood era, that they would extend my warranty because of all the issues I had. (He offered, I did not ask.) That has not happened. Unfortunately, I did not have it in writing, as Mr. Bloodgood made the offer, over the phone, to both my husband and I (in the same conversation he spoke with each of us), verbally. Of course, I DO have Mr. Lawson's extended warranty promise in writing, and that hasn't stopped him from failing to honor it, so ...

-Susan W.

• tyguy
    16 years ago

Does anyone know if this service is going to be offered in Canada as well(Ontario in particular)?

• edlakin
    16 years ago

this is great news. i have a bluestar on order and am scheduled to install within the next few weeks. i'll definitely be taking advantage of this offer, and i'll post here about it and let you all know how it works out.

to the poster who has had a negative experience, i'm sorry to hear about your troubles and dissatisfaction, and it's a shame that this service was initiated too late to prevent some of the problems you had.

• lboise
    16 years ago

"In fact, I haven't even used the oven a dozen times since purchase, so it's not from over-use."

Susan - Maybe it's from under-use. I start my motorcycle weekly all winter even if I'm not riding it. Maybe you should open your oven periodically.

• amirm
    16 years ago

A hinge should not go bad from under-use. Motorcycle and a car, sure. But not a hinge. And surely if it developed problems, it would not openning too easily. The lubricant would gum up, making it harder to open, not easier.

• lboise
    16 years ago

amirm - I didn't think it necessary to put a smiley face or "just kidding" at the end of my post.

I guess I was wrong.

• amirm
    16 years ago

Sorry about that :). I used to repair audio/video gear while going to college and under-use was a clear failure mode for mechanical parts. So I took your suggestion seriously.

• mcmann
    16 years ago

I'm sorry to still sound skeptical about Trevor's assurance that ....

"This service SHOULD also put the minds to rest for those people who don't purchase a Bluestar because of concerns about service not being available. Service and Installation is now available for everyone no matter where you live."

It seems that this new program is just to double check installation and even if it extends the warranty to 2 years it doesn't promise that the buyer will receive competant service in a timely fashion. And unfortunately that has been a too common experience. I live fairly close to Reading and know several Blue Star owners, their biggest complaint has been service - even when the oven is still under warranty.

I hope Blue Star is serious about improving customer satisfaction. Actually if they were serious about this they should make the White Glove promise retroactive - at the very least it should be available to anyone whose one year warranty is still in effect.

• elizpiz
    16 years ago

Tyguy, unfortunately no. I went to the BS web site to find out more and it clearly states that the service is only available in the continental US. Once again, we're the poor country cousins (sigh)

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Star White Glove Service

• susanandmarkw
    16 years ago

We had a service person out this morning to look at our Bluestar oven door. After a 15 second inspection (a.k.a. opening it once) he told us that it was supposed to work this way, and even called the flopping open a "feature." I have used another Bluestar and the door did not do this, nor did the door on this oven do this when first installed. So, apparently, it's a late-appearing "feature."

My incredulity (and sarcasm) stems from several facts, not the least of which that this is the exact same service person who told me, 10 months ago now, that the Bluestar's simmer burner was "not designed for a low flame" and that the burners were "made by Wolf, only cheaper"--leaving my house after doing absolutely nothing about adjusting the burners. Eight months and much begging on our part later he returned, with a Bluestar manual this time, and adjusted the burners. But only after we'd proved to Bluestar, via a $40 service call from our gas company, that nothing was wrong with our gas pressure, and under pains that we'd be on the hook for a $250 service call if the service person found it was an "installation error."

Also, I know for a fact that this man, the only service person Bluestar has ever sent out, has never seen a Bluestar other than mine. So, the problem--and this is what could pertain to other Bluestar owners, or potential owners--isn't that there aren't service people in our area (we haven't had problems finding multiple service people for other appliances) it's that 1) no one is familiar with this brand and 2) they won't work for what Bluestar pays them. I mention the latter because, when Mr. Bloodgood (former Bluestar service manager) couldn't find anyone other than the one-man company I described above to service my unit, I suggested the company that had fixed, promptly and efficiently, my Gaggeanu steam oven, also under warranty. After not hearing from Bluestar, I called the latter company myself and was told that Bluestar had contacted them but they wouldn't work for Bluestar's rates. I did not ask what they were, nor do I even know if they're unfair, but it does beg the question: How can I, or other potential customers, have any expectation of decent service if Bluestar insists on sending, again and again, people who have no idea what they're doing? It's not surprising, under those circumstances, that I've had dismal service and, therefore, a rather grim view of Bluestar in general. When you send out incompetent people, you really can't expect anything less. (The fact that anything at all was fixed, ever, is actually probably the surprising part.)

Oh and, PS, my conversations with Mr. Bloodgood, which ended with the same service man returning last December, were that I had "maligned" this "very capable" service person and that I was "lucky" he was willing to return at all ... I apparently had "maligned" him by telling Mr. Bloodgood, exactly what he'd actually done/said. (The same service man wouldn't service my vent hood because it was on a dimmer, which he said voided the warranty ... Until I went online and pulled up the vent hood specs and photos, that showed the company itself, Prestige, SELLS dimmer switches to run the fan and has them installed that way in EVERY SINGLE advertising photo in their brochure.)

Well, back to this morning ... The end result is that we had my one-year-old demonstrate pulling the oven door down on his head and the service person finally deigned to look at it. He tightened (or did something to) the hinges and it seems to be working again, though the service person (for what his opinion is worth) warned us it would probably come loose again with use. So, basically, as long as we don't open the oven door it works, I asked him. He shrugged and left.

For us, unfortunately, that describes the Bluestar service experience to date in a nutshell.

So, I gotta' agree with "mcmann," not that I have Bluestar's "white glove service," and it does seem like a step in the right direction, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't ensure that you will have actual COMPETENT service, or service at all even, in your area.

-Susan W.

• amirm
    16 years ago

Here is the part I can't figure out. If I were BS and was reading this thread (I sure hope they are reading it and/or one of their dealers has forwarded this to them), I would have already swapped out Suzan's oven. These posts remain here for all to read in the future when researching products. The damage will cost them far, far more than the cost of this oven.

As for us, we are borderline between Wolf and BS. My wife wants the Wolf and I, BS. Given Suzan's continued issues, I may have to go with Wolf as I won't be caught dead with my wife giving me that "look" of "it was all your fault." :)

• wekick
    16 years ago

I am between Wolf and Bluestar too. I really want the BlueStar-it is what would meet my needs the best but I am so afraid of not having competent service as there is not a dealer in my area.

• susanandmarkw
    16 years ago

"wekick" my advice, and it's just the advice of someone you don't know from Adam on a message board, so take it for what's it worth, is that, if you really want a Bluestar make sure that not only do they "assure" you there are service people in your area (which I did, twice, before purchase--when I was told there were "dozens" of people in my area who could work on the range--only to end up in the mess I'm in), but then call those people yourself--make sure there's more than one in case you end up with a deadbeat service company--and ask them if they know and regularly, or at least occasionally, work on a Bluestar. (And I'd also suggest you find a dealer other than board-favorite Eurostoves, but again that's just my personal bias because of a host of issues I have had with them.)

I think that if this white glove thing is for real and works as stated, and you're in an area that's familiar with the product and has good service people to work on it, then it's probably not a bad choice. (Please, PLEASE don't let them tell you "it's so easy, anyone can work on it.") Otherwise, Wolf is a very respectable option (and very similarly priced) and was my second choice ... And one I wish I would have taken at this point. (When I was looking, I was also impressed by the GE Monogram line, but they only have sealed burners. I obviously purchased neither a Wolf nor a Monogram so can't comment on their real-life use.)

-Susan W.

• brnt
    16 years ago

if your oven door dropped down i suggest you inspect not only the door but the frame of the oven for damage

you are looking to make sure the door sits 90 degrees when open(chances are when you look the door will be hanging lower than 90 now(by this i mean the door should be level when open))

now where the door hinges enter the front of the range inspect around these recievers, you will probably find the porcelin coating is cracked and chipped off
    if you remove the oven door and place a straight edge near the reciever you will find the front of the oven around the recievers is bent

this happens when such a heavy oven door drops, seen it on the blue stars before