SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deborah_ps

T &T Thai recipes

deborah_ps
16 years ago

Maureen,

I just read that your DH doesn't care for coconut? Crumb. One of my favorites is the Tom Kha Kai ( Thai coconut soup)over jasmine rice. I'll post it just in case.

I went on a big Thai food learning adventure a number of years ago. Ended up losing weight without trying as most of the recipes use so little meat and plenty vegetables. The flavors are intense and just so very satisfying.

Tom Kha Kai Thai Coconut Soup

3 1/2 cups coconut milk

2 half uncooked chicken breasts sliced thin

1/2 pound mushrooms cut in half (unless quite large, then slice)

1 tablespoon sliced galangel (or ginger)

1 lemon grass stalk cut into 1" lengths (may peel and grate instead)

4-5 kafir lime leaves torn in half (I use plain ole lime)

1/3 cup fresh lime juice

3 tablespoons fish sauce

3 teaspoons sugar

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons cilantro rough chop

1 tablespoon sambal oelek (roasted chili sauce)

Pour coconut milk into a medium saucepan. Add 1 cup water, bring to a boil, reduce heat, add galangal, lemon grass, lime leaves and cook for a few minutes. Add the chicken slices, salt, fish sauce, sugar and lime juice. Cook until chicken is just tender. Add the mushrooms and remove from the heat. Put a dab of sambal oelek (to your heat taste) in the bottom of a soup bowl and pour the hot soup over the top. I add jasmine rice to the bottom of the bowl prior to pouring the soup, making it a one bowl meal.

This one is quite tasty and pretty also:

Chicken with Thai Seasoning

serves 2

2 single chicken breast fillets

8-10 large spinach leaves

2 teaspoons grated lime zest

1 tablespoon chopped coriander (cilantro)

1 teaspoon sambal oelek

oil

SAUCE

2 tablespoons white vinegar

1 teaspoon brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon cornstarch

1 tablespoon water

1/4 teaspoon grated lime zest

2 teaspoons fresh coriander leaves

1/2 small red chili, seeded and finely sliced

Remove the tenderloin fillet from the underside of the chicken fillets. Chop the tenderloin very finely, place in a bowl and reserve for the seasoning.

Cut a pocket into the side of each chicken fillet without cutting through.

Drop the spinach into a saucepan of boiling water until just wilted.Drain and pat dry on paper towel. Chop the spinach and add to the chopped chicken. Add lime zest, coriander and sambal oelek, mix well.

Push the spinach mixture into the fillets pocket, then use a toothpick or skewer to firmly seal the opening.Brush the fillets with oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350* oven for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.

While the chicken is cooking, make the sauce. Combine the vinegar, sugar and combined cornstarch and water in small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the mixture boils and thickens. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Cut the chicken fillets into 1"-1 1/2" slices fan out onto platter and serve with the sauce and steamed Jasmine Rice.

This is a great appetizer, delicious and visually appealing

Belgian Endive with Chili Pork

serves 4

1 tablespoon oil

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger

4 green spring onions, finely chopped

1/2 teaspoon shrimp paste

1 tablespoon chopped lemon grass

2 teaspoons sambal oelek

5 ounce pork fillet, finely chopped

8 ounces cherry tomatoes, quartered

1 tablespoon coconut cream

3 tablespoons fresh coriander chopped

1 head Belgian Endive

Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the garlic, ginger, spring onions, shrimp paste lemon grass and sambal oelek. Cook the mixture stirring until the onions are just soft

Add the pork and cook stirring until the pork just begins to turn white. Stir in the tomatoes and the coconut cream then bring to a boil. Simmer the mixture uncovered until it thickens and the tomatoes are well cooked. Stir in the coriander.

While the mixture is simmering, carefully separate the endive leaves, wash and drain well. Spoon the chili pork mixture into the endive leaves just prior to serving. Arrange filled leaves, slightly overlapping and fanned out. Garnish with a few coriander sprigs.

Enjoy! Deborah

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!