SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grandms

Blue screen message

grandms
12 years ago

I turned on my computer and walked away for several minutes. Came back to a blue screen and a message re: "Driver IRQL_NOT_LESS_or_EQUAL" At the end was something to the effect of a memory dump. Anyway, the message said if this was the first time for the message, to shut down and restart. Otherwise, restart in Safe Mode and check any software recently installed. I tried to start in Safe Mode but it just converted back to the regular startup screen, so I tried again and chose "Last known good configuration" this time. I had been using some software yesterday that I had downloaded some time ago, so I did uninstall that. Everything seems to be working fine, except for not being able to get into Safe Mode. When I try, it starts the list of drivers and then stops and goes no further. Then the screen goes black, and the computer restarts normally. I had noticed this problem several weeks ago, but didn't have time to pursue a solution at that time. So if someone could help me troubleshoot this, I would appreciate it. I cannot get into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking. Thanks for any help.

Comments (55)

• grandms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Zep, the driver that it stops on in safemode is "eubakup.sys". I tried running SFC, and it asked me to insert the XP Professional SP3 CD. Now, I do not have that, but I did check the update history, and on July 5, 2009, Windows XP SP3 (KB936929) was cancelled, then it showed succeeded, and showed succeeded a second time. I checked BelArc Adviser, and it shows SP3 installed. The message SFC gave was that "files required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore original versions of these files." Was it SP3 that caused the problems with rebooting on HP computers with AMD processors? If so, mine was one that this affected, and HP provided a fix for this. Could this have altered one or more files in SP3? In the past, I have been able to use SafeMode and SafeMode with Internet. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I made the discovery that I could not get into safemode, and I also could not do a system restore.

Even though I have a Windows 7 laptop, this XP desktop is the one I have all my important information on, and I'd like to keep it going until MS ends support in 2014, or until I expire, whichever is . . . . .well, you know. I'm more comfortable working at a desktop, and if I'm still alive and kicking in 2014, I'll get Windows 8, but I really don't want to get another Windows 7 right now.

• zep516
    12 years ago

"Was it SP3 that caused the problems with rebooting on HP computers with AMD processors? If so, mine was one that this affected, and HP provided a fix for this. Could this have altered one or more files in SP3?"

I suppose it's possible.

FYI

Eubakup.sys with description Disk Backup Driver is a driver file from company CHENGDU YIWO Tech Development Co., Ltd belonging to product EASEUS Todo Backup.

Without the cd I'm not sure how to advise you. I'm thinking though.

• Related Discussions

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME Blue Screen

Q

Comments (11)
    Once your in the recovery console from pressing "R' All you need to do is fix the master boot record "FIXMBR" as shown below... "Now at the prompt, type in fixmbr. Your damaged MBR will now be replaced with a new master boot record and your computer should now be able to boot properly. Note that you may also want to run the fixboot command to repair the boot sector with a new one." Please see link for details on this.. Here is a link that might be useful: fix-mbr-xp-vista
    ...See More

a blue screen message!!!

Q

Comments (36)
    my guess and I do mean guess is that it was a conincidence that it failed right after doing the updates, for DA it was not a drive failure but a corrupted/failed Operating system. It could be due to the fact the drive they provided you was not a new drive, but drives that are brand new sometimes fail. There is an old trick for trying to save info from a failed drive you might want to try it, you freeze the drive literally put it in the freezer,wrap it in paper towels put it in a sealed ziplock baggie, let it freeze well(a few hours or over night), stick it in the enclosure, or plug into the pc, and as fast as possible try to access it and grab your info, it will not work for long but many times it will work long enough to get the info off of it. Usually the window is about 15 mins. You can make it last longer if you put a frozen container or those blue ice packs on top of the drive when you take it out and connect it to the pc (protect it from moisture of course). Have a flash drive or some backup drive ready to go to get that info backed up immediately. You can repeat this a few times if you are lucky. Why freezing a hard drive might help on this site scroll way way down below all the blue text to read the info on how to and why freezing might work. does the drive spin at all? can you hear it spin up? is there any clicking or noise, does your pc recognize or see the drive? If it is spinning then freezing it is not the way to go because a spinning drive is not a dead drive. IF you want to try Spin Rite by Steve Gibson here is the site for it. SpinRite also this link talks of options to try including the freezer technique. Here is a link that might be useful: freezer technique and more
    ...See More

screen resolution messages

Q

Comments (2)
    Try setting your resolution at 1280 x 960 which is correct for a 4 x 3 ratio monitor. Not suggesting you are wrong at all but changing it then testing those 2 sites might answer your problem. You can always revert back if you wish.
    ...See More

Screen writer this message is for you.

Q

Comments (1)
    Thanks Screen writer, I left pretty close to 4 pm and did not see them. Glad the mystery is solved.
    ...See More
  • owbist
    12 years ago

If you have high speed you can of course download SP3

Bear in mind if you do that then it is likely you will need to install over 100 updates to XP - but if it cures these ills???

Do you use the Easus backup tool? If not perhaps remove that program.

• genes
    12 years ago

gradms--when the computer is rebooting, can you tap F8 and enter a DOS type dialog box...if so, see if the option "choose the last known good configuration" is there and try that

• mikie_gw
    12 years ago

Might look at the boot tab & safe boot options in msconfig.

• grandms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Genes, that's exactly what I did, and that worked. But I cannot get into Safemode or Safemode with networking. Safemode shows in blue letters in the lower left corner, but the machine just reboots into normal mode and not into Safemode.

I use the EASEUS Todo backup program and have done my last two backups on an external hdd using that. In fact, I did the clone type backup, which includes the OS, and used that one time to restore everything. I find the interface much easier to follow that Acronis, which I had used in the past. I know I was able to use system restore after doing this, but I don't know about Safemode.

Owbist, if I'm going to install SP3 again, I might as well use my rescue disks and go all the way back to the beginning. :-(

Right now, I'll do nothing unless Zep can come up with some suggestions. If I have to, I'll restore to the latest backup that I did, over a month ago. I can still save some newer documents, etc. before doing that, I guess.

• zep516
    12 years ago

I'm consulting another tech now about the issue.

• zep516
    12 years ago

He never got back to me and I will be off the internet for a week or so, time away from it. Owbist has a good idea though if you could uninstall EASEUS since that's where Safemode is crashing. As far as System restore not sure.

• grandms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll do some thinking on that. Too bad, because I really liked EASEUS. Haven't had any more blue screens, but I'm still concerned about the stability of Windows since that happened.

Are any of you familiar with Paragon's backup program? I got it as a freebie some time ago but have never used it. Of course, I do still have Acronis version 9. I can uninstall EASEUS and see if that corrects the problem. I still have the setup file, so I could re-install it if I wished. Just thinking aloud here.

Thanks to everyone.

• zep516
    12 years ago

Hold the phone,

"When safe mode stops at that entry which as I am sure you know is easeus backup - it is NOT that driver that has the error. It is the NEXT ONE that Safe Mode would load - IF it could."

That's what my tech said

• grandms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good to hear you say that, Zep. Now how would one go about finding what the next one would be?

• bbbluz ~ DonnaB
    12 years ago

Hi grandms,

Hang on please. Zep will be away for a short time and will do his best to get to a computer as soon as he can.

Before Zep left, he did speak to his colleague about sharing the information/advice on what can be done to correct your problem with me so I might be able to help in his absence, if you don't mind. I know the gentleman as well from the site where Zep and I are in training for malware removal and have spoken with him. He has passed on some advice to present to you but I want to look at it a bit before I guide you further.

Just wanted you to know that so you don't worry.

DonnaB aka bbbluz

• grandms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Donna. I had figured I'd just sit tight until Zep returns and then resume this trouble shoot, but if you can help, I'd be most pleased.

• zep516
    12 years ago

Last thing I know to try is to run chkdsk /r

Click start, click on Run in the run box type cmd hit ok. Then copy this chkdsk /r now paste it into the black command prompt window. Let it run.

• mikie_gw
    12 years ago

From that f8 startup menu you can run a bootlog and perhaps pick out the error from the text file it makes typically at c:\windows\Ntbtlog.txt (or Ntbtlog.log)

• grandms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention in my original post that I ran chk disk and all was okay. But I ran it again tonight with the same results--no errors.

Mikie, tomorrow I'll try your suggestion and see if I can find out anything further.

• zep516
    12 years ago

I wonder how much an XP Disk would cost? With a disk you could consider a repair install.

• owbist
    12 years ago

Wouldn't doing SFC be similar but with no expense? Yes Grandms will need to download SP3 then do any updates after but that is only time.

I suspect XP is now hard to find to purchase. A clean install taking 3 or 4 hours is also much more cost efficient. As this is likely a factory built machine then there is no need to purchase an XP CD. Any XP disk of the same version - Home or Pro - is acceptable. The difference is remembering to use the 25 digit key on the outside of the computer and not the key belonging to the CD and all will be well.

• grandms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found a disk with SP2 on it, and I have my recovery disks that I made. I have ordered the SP3 disk from MS, so will wait for that to arrive. I think my daughter in another state has an XP Pro (which is what my media center shows I have on BelArc and other apps), and I think she has the XP CD. I could borrow that from her and use it. I have the key, or should have (can't see it right now) on the side of my tower. I will contact her and ask her to send me her CD, if in fact she does have one, and then when the SP3 disk comes from MS, I should be good to go. I'll go ahead and do current backups of all my personal information, etc. and then when I have the disks and some time, I'll can do a clean install, use the disks for the service packs, and then download all the rest of the updates. Ugh!

I still don't quite understand what the rescue disks are for that I made when the machine was new. Can't they be used for somewhat the same purpose? I know they would put the machine back to "out of the box" condition and then all the updates would need to be done. I know it's not what's called a "clean install", but wouldn't this accomplish my purpose as well?

• bbbluz ~ DonnaB
    12 years ago

Hi grandms,

Yes, The rescue disks will take it back to "out of the box" condition. You will lose all your settings, present programs that you have installed since purchase, and also lose any personal data that is not backed up. You will also have to visit MS Updates to install all the updates that were not included on the system at time of purchase and that are not included in the rescue disks.

The tech (and I'd love to mention his name but prefer to ask his permission before I do so) that Zep and I spoke with suggested that your issue could be due the corrupt driver files in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers.

Personally, I would do the repair install which will save everything including a lot of heart ache though you may have to access MS Updates there after. You really didn't need to order a SP3 disk from MS. You can down load it from online.

Also, if you do decide to do a complete reinstall, look in the Belarc Advisor report under Manage all your software licenses you should find all the product keys for Microsoft software installed, including the OS Product key.

Here is a link that might be useful: How-to repair Windows XP

• mikie_gw
    12 years ago

If you have CD with xp sp2, run the SFC .. if correct xp version ... maybe you get lucky.

Here is a link that might be useful: i386 folder / paths for sfc

• grandms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mikie, when I tried sfc, it asked for the XP cd, which I do not have. I did locate the i386 folder, but most of what I read in the article is sort of above me.

Donna, the reason I ordered the SP3 disk is because I have limited amount of bandwidth, and I'd like to avoid as much downloading as possible. I think I will wait for the XP disk from my daughter and the SP3 disk from MS, and when I have both of them, I'll be ready to do the repair. At that time, I may ask for some hand-holding, so be prepared. This may have to wait until after Christmas, but I'll be back with this thread (or should I start a new one at that time?). Thanks for your help now and down the road.

• anne_ct
    12 years ago

If you can get into your system, remove Zone Alarm entirely and that may cure your problem completely. It's a memory hog and from the list of protection that you have on your system...you don't need it. It's strained your system to the breaking point. Once it's removed you may not need to do anything further. It's an easy task and worth a try at this point.

HTH

• bbbluz ~ DonnaB
    12 years ago

anne ct: Zone Alarm has nothing to do with the computer not booting into Safe Mode.

grandms, I understand completely about the bandwidth. Had to go to the library or a friends house once or twice myself before we got a better connection.

You may be able to proceed with safe mode if you press the Esc key once safe mode hangs on that one driver that will not load. Not sure. You can also try getting it into VGA mode which is in the list on the Advanced Boot Menu options screen.

Did you look to see if System Restore is turned on? Are there any restores points?

When you ran chkdsk did you try chkdsk /r for repair?

If you do decide to start a new thread, may I ask that you place a link to this thread in it...please. :)

• mikie_gw
    12 years ago

thought you had cd,,? you said above a post or two...

I found a disk with SP2 on it

• anne_ct
    12 years ago

bbbluz: If you will note...I prefaced my advice by saying "if you can get into your system...".
    Maybe I should have said "when".

• grandms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna, I will try the couple of things you suggested. If they work, I'll post that info. Yes, system restore is turned on, and there are restore points as recent as yesterday.

Mikie, the disk I referred to is the SP2 update that I got from MS, not the XP install disk.

Anne, I have no idea why you would think ZA has anything at all to do with my problems. I am currently posting this from the subject computer. It is working fine with the exception of not being able to get into SafeMode and not being able to do a system restore. But, after receiving the blue screen message, which has not been repeated, I have a feeling that things might be somewhat unstable, hence the initial post.

• anne_ct
    12 years ago

"This is my XP computer media center edition SP3, all MS updates current, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD. AVAST AV,
    SpywareBlaster, Superantispyware, Malwarebytes, Zone Alarm."

One of my very early discoveries in the world of computers is that there can be too much of a good thing when it comes to protective programs. The second thing I learned is that there isn't always an apparent answer to a mechanical message that's spewed out...like your BS message. AND...that often the system just gets tired of all the conflicted programs and just throws a technical tantrum.

Often, one of the cure alls for this is to clean up [or out] some of the conflicting apps or programs. Your system...IMHO...could do with a little cleaning that might solve your problem. You could dump everything but AVAST AV and Malwarebytes and have all the protection you'll need as long as you keep both programs up-to-date and run them on a regular basis...which I assume you do. Of all the "devices" you have on there...IMHO...Zone Alarm is a huge memory hog that can stress the best of systems but added to the list you have...it's probably not playing nicely with any of them. Ergo...the instability.

If it were my system...I'd do the suggested house cleaning...run a full defrag...and run Error Checking. Then set a restore point. You have nothing to lose...and it just might solve your problem.

Anne

• bob414
    12 years ago

I use the windows 7 firewall but would never depend on the xp firewall. It's a one way firewall.

• anne_ct
    12 years ago

I agree Bob. Actually...if it were my XP system, I'd trade in AVAST for AVG Internet Security [which I think is also free]. It has a firewall.

I currently have Win 7, 64 bit edition with MS Security Essentials and Malwarebytes...with Win 7 firewall enabled. I'm nice and cozy...at the moment. ;-)

Anne

• grandms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anne, I have already run error checking (chk disk), cleaned out all temporary files, uninstalled unused programs, and defragged. I have only the free ZA firewall--none of the other things in the complete suite. On my Win 7 , 64 bit computer I use MS Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, and the Online Armor firewall. On both computers I have the MS firewall disabled.

Donna, I tried VGA mode, and it went into that but still no go on Safe Mode. Forgot to try the esc at the point of hang, so I'll give that a try.

• anne_ct
    12 years ago

It's my understanding that chkdsk will not run correctly if safe mode isn't accessible on the system.

In the mean time...see if the info at this link below might be helpful.

Anne

Here is a link that might be useful: Renew Safe Mode Access

• bbbluz ~ DonnaB
    12 years ago

grandms,

Donna, I tried VGA mode, and it went into that but still no go on Safe Mode. Forgot to try the esc at the point of hang, so I'll give that a try.

That's because when you boot into Safe Mode a generic graphics driver loads. When you boot into VGA Mode the actual graphics driver loads.

The above: Compliments go to the pro.

Forgot to try the esc at the point of hang, so I'll give that a try.

Ok. Let us know what happens.

@ anne ct,

SpywareBlaster does not run in realtime, it only runs in the background and targets ActiveX in IE.

Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware does not run in realtime eithet unless you have the Pro versions installed and Pro MBAM does play well when running in realtime with most AV's though I can not elaborate about SASW because I haven't researched that program.

I run all 3 of the above even though I do not use IE. MBAM and SASW are not overkill and will not cause instability in the system. Their only difference is different databases that detect different malicious files that the publishers update into the programs. In other words, what one may find the other may not...vice versa.

Zone Alarm is a hefty program compared to Comodo and a few others but a very good program if you know how to configure it appropriately. Many of my instructors prefer Zone Alarm unless there are issues with the users abilities to understand how the firewall works. grandms happens to have Zone Alarm down to a science and never has had any issues that I can recall.

The problem here with booting into Safe Mode and System Restore is more then likely due to file corruption in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. A repair install should fix it or a sfc /scannow but the disk is needed to replace the files unless I or someone else can figure out how to point the registry to the C: drive and get the file from the i386 folder to replace the files if the i386 folder is installed. I'd feel safer using the disk myself.

• grandms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna, I tried using esc as the drivers were scrolling, but it still hung at the same one.

My daughter was to mail the XP disk to me today, so I should have it by Tuesday. I think then we can first try the scf /scannow. Hopefully that will replace the file. If not, then I guess the repair install will have to be done.

Thanks, again.

By the way, I'm walking on air. I am a graduate of Baylor University in Waco, TX, and tonight Robert Griffin III, Baylor's quarterback, was awarded the Heismann Trophy! Go Bears!!

• bbbluz ~ DonnaB
    12 years ago

Oh that is great! I just had to google Robert Griffin III and by golly, he has his own wikipedia page!

WOW! Look at those stats!

Quite the impressive young man! And his Major is Political Science....my, my. That fella is going to make a difference in this world.

I'll be watching for your next post when the disk arrives.

Here is a link that might be useful: Robert Lee Griffin III (nicknamed RG3)

• grandms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay now folks, I have a Windows XP Pro disk, the SP2 update disk, and the SP3 update disk. I want to try to make the file repair in the easiest manner. Would that be trying SFC first?

One question: BelArc gives one product Key for my version of XP, with a footnote that this is the manufacturer's install key. Another key is on the sticker on the side of my tower. Which one do I use if this becomes necessary?

I'm good at following directions, but they must be clear and in proper order (that's the school teacher mentality). So Donna, or Zep, or whoever??? You'll probably need to start at the beginning and re-read this entire thread to recall all the details.

Also, the past few days, this computer has been very slow in shutting down, like 2-3 minutes. Once Windows finally shuts down, then it powers down just fine.

• bbbluz ~ DonnaB
    12 years ago

Hi grandms,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Click on Start > Run and type in sfc /scannow

As you know, it may take some time to complete. When complete just insert the disk.

As for the product key question. Click on Start then right click on Computer. Choose Properties. Look for the product key there.Should be found just under Registered to:

Compare that Product key with the other 2. Either way, that is the one I would use.....Hope it is not needed though.

Let us know the results of the System File Checker scan.

• grandms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did the System File Checker scan and it wanted the XP with SP3 disk. I have only the XP Pro disk, a SP2 update disk, and a SP3 update disk. I tried using one and then the other, but got the message that it was the wrong disk, so I kept X-ing out of that message and the scan would go a little farther, stop again and ask for the disk. It did this about 4 times. It finally finished scanning, but nothing came of it at all.

There is no product key given. Under Registered to:
    76487-OEM-0011903-00803
    This is not a 25 digit number and does not resemble either of the other two numbers shown as product key.

• bbbluz ~ DonnaB
    12 years ago

grandms,

Check your email please.

Donna

• bbbluz ~ DonnaB
    12 years ago

grandms,

We're going to have to do a Repair Install with the XP Pro disk your daughter sent you.

Here's how:

1. Place your Windows XP Setup disk in your CD drive.

2. Restart your computer (You must have the CD as the first boot option in your BIOS).

3. Press any key on your keyboard when it asks you to.

4. Press Enter when you see a blue screen, one of the options will say, To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.

DO NOT choose To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R

5. Press Enter to start the windows setup.

6. Accept the Licence and Agreement, (you may have to press F8 or Enter), setup will now search for and list Windows XP installations found on your computer.

7. Press R when the set up has found your current version of Windows XP.

8. Notice that the Setup is deleting all your Windows XP files and replacing them (This will not cause loss of data).

Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Let me know how it goes.

Late day at work to day. I'll be back later this evening. Now that I am getting emails for this site I promise to check on your progress when I get home.

• grandms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One more question before I begin this:

Once I have done this, can I then use the SP2 update disk and then the SP3 update disk to install all the update up to that point?

• zep516
    12 years ago

What I would do is use the SP2 Up-Date disk that you have after the repair install. Once that installs successfully and your connected to the internet again, either visit the windows up-date page or just see if the computer alerts you that windows up dates are available and let it do its thing it should install service pack 3.

• grandms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay. Here goes (with fingers crossed).

• zep516
    12 years ago

Good luck,

We will guide through any additional issues.

• grandms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This did not work. I booted from the XP disk, got the first couple of screens including license agreement, but it will not let me do the repair. Here is the message:

"The partition is either too full, damaged, not formatted, or formatted with an incompatible file system. To continue installing Windows, Setup must format this partition."
    C:Partition (Unknown) 131072MB (131071MB free)on 131068MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi (MBR)
    Caution: Formatting will delete any files on the partition."

So I backed out, and now cannot boot into Windows at all. I have an Acronis boot disk, and it booted from that, but when I chose Windows, all I got was a black screen with a flashing cursor. I also had a boot disk from AVG, but it would not work at all.

This XP disk says on the front Unlicensed Software, but I really don't think I can use it for a clean install, because on the sleeve is a Product Key, and a notation to use this every time you install this software. Of course, my daughter installed it on her PC, so no go there if I understand correctly.

Now it appears my only hope is to use the recovery disks I made long ago. I won't be doing anything else tonight as I'm just too tired for that. Thank goodness I have another computer. Now I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the type of recovery where I don't lose my files, or if I'll have to do the full job. My HP manual explains both of those in detail.

All I get on boot is the HP screen, and then it just goes black with the flashing white cursor.

• zep516
    12 years ago

Try to start the Recovery Console from the XP CD you have. If you can get to it by the directions below run this command chkdsk /r at the command prompt.

Starting the Windows Recovery Console from the Windows XP CD-ROM That you have...

1 Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive and restart your computer. If you are prompted, select any options required to start (boot) from the CD.

2 When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R.
    3 If you have a dual-boot or multiboot system, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.

4 When you are prompted, type the Administrator password.

5 At the command prompt, Type chkdsk /r

8 At any time, you can exit Windows Recovery Console by typing Exit at the command line.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

• zep516
    12 years ago

What it sounds like is the Master boot record (MBR) may have got corrupted somehow. There's a fixmbr command you can use too. Don't try that yet though. Just see if you can do above post, that is get to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r If you can't get to the recovery console using the cd you have, we can make a recovery console cd pretty simple. Donna and I did it on our XP machine. The instructions for making the cd are at Bleeping computer should we need them, it may help you too. We had to run the fixmbr having the same symptoms you have that is, the blinking cursor thing...

• bbbluz ~ DonnaB
    12 years ago

@ grandms and zep.

Check your email.

Donna

• grandms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will follow your suggestion in the e-mail but just can't do anything now until Monday.

• bbbluz ~ DonnaB
    12 years ago

Great! Hope your Holidays are filled with memories to last the New Year through.

Donna :)